Shady Acres Cookbook

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Shady Acres Cookbook

Post by _Gazelam »

We were discussing funeral potatoes recipies in a ferw threads here, and we were discussing other favorite recipies in the chatroom last night. Here is a favorite at my house. When my wife makes this, I eat so much I feel like I could pop.

Last edited by Steeler [Crawler] on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Cheese and sour cream. I'm so there...
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

That sounds good, Gaz.

I think I'll try it soon!

Thanks,

KA

PS. I'll add a recipe to the thread soon! Thanks for starting it. Maybe it will be as long lived as "Shady Acres Jukebox"?
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

The above recipie belonged to my Mother in Law, this is scanned from our Ward cookbook. My wife says to cut them out with a cookie cutter. Then dip the top of them in Cinammon and Sugar before placing them on the tray to bake.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Hey, Gaz, maybe this thread should be called the "Shady Acres Cookbook" or something like that? You know, in the vein of your most famous thread...

Just a thought.

KA
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

KimberlyAnn wrote:Hey, Gaz, maybe this thread should be called the "Shady Acres Cookbook" or something like that? You know, in the vein of your most famous thread...

Just a thought.

KA

Done !
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Trinitys Funeral Potatoes

Post by _Gazelam »

Smoky Au Gratin (or funeral) Potatoes

8 med medium potatoes, peeled and halved, cutting into ¼ inch slices
½ pt sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
½ c melted butter
¼ tsp onion salt
½ c grated smoked gouda cheese
1/3 c grated cheddar cheese
1/3 c parmesan cheese
pepper to taste
Parsley garnish

Heat ¼ c butter in frying pan. Fry sliced potatoes on high heat until they are browned. Remove from heat. Mix sour cream, cream of chicken soup, remaining ¼ c butter, onion salt and cheeses together in frying pan and heat to bubble. Layer potatoes and cheese mixture. Cover and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Remove cover, sprinkle parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley and broil for a few more minutes until cheese and parsley look crunchy brown.
_Always Thinking
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Thinking »

My favorite Potato Soup:

I usually make this soup as a potato corn chowder, but the pictured soup has various other veggies, since I was out of corn that day.

Its sort of a cheater meal in that it uses canned soup in the recipe. If you make it with corn and none of the chopped up veggies, it goes together in a very short time. Adding the veggies increases the preparation time a bit.

Potato Soup

Step 1:
3 medium Russet potatoes, diced (sometimes I will grate one of the potatoes)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 head cabbage, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 can chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 teaspoon rubbed sage

Combine ingredients in a pressure cooker and cook for 4 minutes on high pressure. Release pressure immediately by placing cooker in the sink and running water over it. Open and check softness of potatoes. They should be easily smashed with a fork.

Step 2:
Add to pot any or all of the following:
1 cup of frozen corn
1 zucchini, grated
1 carrot, peeled and grated
4 mushrooms, chopped
1 stalk broccoli, peel and grate the stalk, and chop the top part

Reseal the lid and cook for 5 minutes, total time. Do not worry about pressure. If you cooked it at 5 minutes high pressure, then you would have mush. We just want to lightly cook the veggies. Again, release steam immediately by running water over.

Step 3:
Stir into soup:
1 cup cooked chicken (diced or shredded) (optional)
a teaspoon or two of Dijon mustard (optional)
1/2 cup cream
1 cup cheese, shredded (any kind: cheddar, swiss, pepperjack, anything except Velveeta-yuck!)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
salt and pepper to taste

Cook until heated through, and cheese is melted (no need for pressure at this point).
Last edited by Sledge on Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
_Always Thinking
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Thinking »

Pumpkin Bread (or muffins, if you must)

Combine:
3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup applesauce
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

In a separate bowl, combine:

3 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg (I would use less, like 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. I don't like too much nutmeg)
2 tsp baking soda

sift dry ingredients, then add wet to dry, stirring only until combined.

Add:
2/3 cup milk
1 3/4 cups pumpkin (canned - just a regular size can)

Add half the milk, mix, then add half the pumpkin, and mix again. Then add the rest of the milk, mix, then add the rest of the pumpkin, and mix.

Fold in:
1 cup chopped nuts
If you like raisins (YUCK!), you could add them at this point.

Pour into an oiled loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20(?) minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.

NOTE: I'm thinking that 20 minutes seems like way too short of a cook time. Is that a misprint from when I typed this the first time? I don't remember since it has been over a year since I made this recipe. I'm betting that cook time would be closer to an hour. In any case, I never set a timer when I bake, I just always check for doneness (not a word, really, but you know what I mean). This recipe gets very very brown on the outside, almost burnt. But, if you take it out too soon, then you will have a doughy center. I suppose you could cover it with foil halfway through the cook time, to prevent excess browning. Or, alternatively, you could just sidestep the loaf thing all together and make muffins. Shorter cook time and less chance of burning.

In the pictured loaf, I was trying to be clever and make a cream cheese filling. It (the filling) wasn't too impressive, so I'm only giving the original recipe without the filling. I only tell you this so you will know what that cream colored streak is in the pictured slice.

Edited to add: Now I remember! The 20 minutes of cook time was for the muffins, duh! The recipe originally was for muffins, and I forgot to change the cook time to reflect that. Well, I'm slow, 'cause that was a no-brainer. :)

So, cook the muffins for about 20 minutes, and cook the loaf for about an hour.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Man Always, those both look really good.

Pressure cookers scare me though. Ill have to try it anyway. I always think of pressure cookers as being some sort of bomb on my counter.