Who will lead us into the metric age??

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Who will lead us into the metric age??

Post by _Scottie »

I am SOOOO f-ing sick of being the only country in the world that hasn't crossed over to the metric system!!!

Could we PAH-LEEEEEZE get a President in that will lead us out of the dark ages and into the 20th century here????

Sure, it would be hard for about a month. Then we'd all get used to it, and everything would be fine.

Cocky damned Americans.....
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo
_Ray A

Re: Who will lead us into the metric age??

Post by _Ray A »

Scottie wrote:Sure, it would be hard for about a month. Then we'd all get used to it, and everything would be fine.

Cocky damned Americans.....

Newsflash: Oz converted to the metric system in the mid '70s, but we're still getting used to it. Metric height, for example, 1.70m, is still usually followed by a bracketed (5'5"). Older people (over 60s) more often than not still refer to yards. Until the older generation dies out with their habits, I don't think there will be a full conversion. The easiest conversion has been speed. You never hear 30 miles per hour, but 50 kph. When we first converted 30 mph zones were changed to 60kph, then some bright spark realised that 50kph (48.2 to be exact) was nearer to the old 30mph speed limit, so all the 60kph zones were changed back to 50kph. I think actually some letters to editors made the powers that be (who aren't very bright) realise this.