A Crier for President?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

A Crier for President?

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Does the fact that Hillary cried make her unfit to be President? Apart from her politics, does crying alone mean she can't do the job?

Or, is the argument that a crier shouldn't be President purely sexist B.S.?

Curious to see what y'all think,

KA
_Ren
_Emeritus

Post by _Ren »

What was she crying about? (Sorry if that seems like a daft question, but I haven't heard about this...)
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

A couple of different things, I think.

One tear or two fell when she talked about how hard running a campaign has been, but that it was worth it because she loved her country.

I'm not sure about the other incident, but the crying wasn't sobbing or anything, just a tear or two, if that.

Some folks say it could have been calculated crying to counter her sometimes harsh image.

KA
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: A Crier for President?

Post by _Dr. Shades »

KimberlyAnn wrote:Does the fact that Hillary cried make her unfit to be President?

I don't see the connection.

Apart from her politics, does crying alone mean she can't do the job?

Again, I see no connection.

Or, is the argument that a crier shouldn't be President purely sexist B.S.?

Is anyone saying that? If so, I think it's purely sexist B.S.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Ren
_Emeritus

Post by _Ren »

Ahh ok. What came into my head when you said 'crying' was probably a little strong...

I think the particular circumstances could alter my opinion somewhat. Certainly if I genuinely thought they were 'faked' in some way.
...but in principle, I don't see that it would have much to do with anything. If anything, I might view it as a positive.
John 11:35

Not that my opinion as a Brit matters much mind :)
_Always Thinking
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Thinking »

I don't think that her crying episode would mean that she is unfit to be president. I'm betting that she is good at controlling her emotions, though. There is a very distinct possibility, though, that her public tears recently were calculated for effect.

If she were like me, and truly cried easily, I would say that could be a problem. But I can't even imagine she is like that. Depending on the situation, I am utterly worthless once the tears start to flow. It is something I truly hate about myself. My fifth grade teacher said to me, in total frustration, "Good grief, I can't even look at you cross eyed, because you start crying!" I would never make it as president, that's for sure.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

I agree, AT, that an emotional basket case (LIKE ME!) wouldn't make a good President. I cry easily sometimes, too. I try not to, as it infuriates my husband, and I do a good job of hiding it when I do.

KA
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

KimberlyAnn wrote:I'm not sure about the other incident, but the crying wasn't sobbing or anything, just a tear or two, if that.

I think the second time was when she met up with a former dear law school classmate that she hadn't seen for a good long time. Doubtful that it was politically calculated.

I have no problem with the tears. People are making a big deal about it just because she is woman. Do you see the same people questioning George Bush's leadership every time he has cried in public (and he has)? Nope. Tears + Woman = Unstable President for some. That's BS. Those folks should get back to discussing her cleavage or some other similarly important part of her candidacy. [/sarcasm]

And hell - I'll take a woman with tears over a man who has God telling him to invade middle eastern countries any day.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Well, crying is better than losing your temper. Still, I think it can be indicative of not having enough control over your emotions. It can also be indicative of being caring, sympathetic, etc. I would be surprised if Hilary didn't have good emotional control actually. I'm more concerned whether the first incident was calculated to gain sympathy points. While that would be a big turn-off, I think all politicians are calculating so it's not going to be any worse than the rest of the bozos who are running.

Bush cried? What were the circumstances? Not that it will matter. I don't exactly like him that much either way.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_personage
_Emeritus

Post by _personage »

If the fact that someone cries makes them unfit for the office Mitt is unfit also. I have heard him admit to doing it. He was so upset when the Kimball revealed that black men could hold the priesthod he said he pulled his car over and wept.
"Walk in the big parade, learn just what to say, they will all try to fool you" _ KINGS X