For the conspiracy theorists

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Scottie
_Emeritus

For the conspiracy theorists

Post by _Scottie »

Do you think that OPEC and/or the government are keeping technology down to increase fuel sales?

I always hear rumors about engines that can get 200-400 mpg, but OPEC buys the patent and destroys the technology.

As for my own speculations, it sure seems funny that computers double processing power every couple of years, but we're still at the same average MPG we were 50 years ago... I have a REALLY hard time believing that we can't improve dramatically from what we have now.
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: For the conspiracy theorists

Post by _Runtu »

Scottie wrote:Do you think that OPEC and/or the government are keeping technology down to increase fuel sales?

I always hear rumors about engines that can get 200-400 mpg, but OPEC buys the patent and destroys the technology.

As for my own speculations, it sure seems funny that computers double processing power every couple of years, but we're still at the same average MPG we were 50 years ago... I have a REALLY hard time believing that we can't improve dramatically from what we have now.

Being in the oil bidness (as they say back in Texas), I would say that's complete BS. The reserves of easily obtained oil are pretty much depleted, and what is left, though vast, is more difficult to get out (think the tar sands of Alberta) or of poor quality (Venezuelan crude). The demand for alternative energy sources has finally made it feasible to start doing them. If someone can make money on alternative fuels (say corn farmers in Kansas and sugar farmers in Brazil), they will.

As for fuel economy, the big difference is in the weight of the cars. I used to have a 1985 Nissan Sentra that got between 35-40 mpg consistently. The car I have now, a Saturn ION (would not recommend it, by the way), gets about 30 mpg. The car isn't any bigger than my Sentra, but it has air bag, mandatory crumple zones, a steel roll cage built in--all of these things are mandated by stricter safety laws, and they add a tremendous amount of weight to the car.

The other thing to consider is that average fuel economy in the last 15 years or so has been skewed by Americans' fascination with the SUV. As long as people want to buy oversized, inefficient vehicles like Suburbans and Expeditions, this will remain the case.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Re: For the conspiracy theorists

Post by _asbestosman »

Scottie wrote:I always hear rumors about engines that can get 200-400 mpg, but OPEC buys the patent and destroys the technology.

Patents are not secrets. You can request a copy of the patent from the patent office. What you cannot do is use the technology without liscencing it from the patent owner.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_silentkid
_Emeritus

guilty SUV owner

Post by _silentkid »

Runtu wrote:As long as people want to buy oversized, inefficient vehicles like Suburbans and Expeditions, this will remain the case.

I own an SUV, a Nissan Xterra. I bought it for two reasons: I'm really tall and don't fit in Civic-sized cars and I live in an area where it snows a lot...four-wheel drive is a must.

I compensate for the environmental impact by living 0.5 miles from work and avoiding urban off-roading whenever possible. ;)
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: guilty SUV owner

Post by _Runtu »

silentkid wrote:
Runtu wrote:As long as people want to buy oversized, inefficient vehicles like Suburbans and Expeditions, this will remain the case.

I own an SUV, a Nissan Xterra. I bought it for two reasons: I'm really tall and don't fit in Civic-sized cars and I live in an area where it snows a lot...four-wheel drive is a must.

I compensate for the environmental impact by living 0.5 miles from work and avoiding urban off-roading whenever possible. ;)

An Xterra is no Suburban. I think we'll probably get something with 4WD when we buy our next car. The Saturn is a real dog in the snow (I think because the weight distribution is skewed toward the rear).

Did I mention that my Saturn is a piece of crap?
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Re: guilty SUV owner

Post by _Scottie »

silentkid wrote:

I LOVED my Xterra.

Except that it didn't have an ash tray to keep my spare change...
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo