moved thread

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

dartagnan wrote:When I get back in town I plan to produce a detailed refutation of JAK's nonsense and post it in the celestial forum.

Super. Now might you respost any exchanges you had with JAK that demonstrate your attempt to engage him in cordial discussion/debate?

Also, I'd like to see a list of any links or references that you supplied in the exchanges in question.

Put it up here, dart.
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

Now might you respost any exchanges you had with JAK that demonstrate your attempt to engage him in cordial discussion/debate?

You can look up our original exchanges if you want. I know I didn't call him an idiot until after he kept dodging refutations. People can say stupid things and I generally have mercy on them at first. But once educated, they have no excuse for spewing the same stupidity later on. I tell my students the same thing. To keep doing this just proves to me they are not interested in learning or hearing about refuting evidence. People like JAK have their minds already made up. They'll be damned if they let a theist teach them anything.

That recent 28 pager was started by me in an attempt to isolate and address his argument head-on. He responded I think only once, and then abandoned the debate in the second or third thread. For the next 25 threads he argued about everything else under the sun with Moniker, except the issue at hand. That was a tragedy in itself. All the irrelevant nonsense about Amish and Shintoism, but he never wanted to address my questions directly. And that was when his internet women tried rearranging his argument to mean something ambiguous (insisting I misunderstood him) which he never would clarify for us, even though I asked him point blank to tell me what the hell he meant by dangerous. It was a huge joke. He never intended to discuss anything. He wanted to bloviate his hate and bigotry. He wasn't prepared for anyone to actually respond. People who rely on copying internet articles, generally aren't prepared.

Also, I'd like to see a list of any links or references that you supplied in the exchanges in question. Put it up here, dart.

I don't need to put up links. Neither does chap, or trevor, or tarski, or anyone else who speak on issue they're qualified to speak on.

People who rely strictly on wiki for every single thing they say, are not educated people, let alone professors! I can speak informatively on the Galileo situation, the crusades in history and the sociology of religion without directing people to wiki articles and that is something JAK can't handle. If he wants to debate specific points, then you'll see me provide scholarly references from books I own - not some cheesy website written by an extreme biased perspective, like a religious minister. But the debate never reaches that level with JAK because he isn't qualified to enter that realm, and he knows it. That's why he wants to keep the "discussion" to a dull roar and echo his assertions about his precious "thesis" (which isn't even his; it is one he stole from Dawkins) and how "nobody can refute" it.

That's the difference between us. JAK likes to provide a half dozen links written by God knows who, and then says "refute all that," as if this is supposed to show how smart he is. This is like every nimrod apologist who responds to specific points by throwing FARMS articles at us without actually engaging the points head-on.

It is like JAK is admitting he is incapable of giving us original thoughts. He doesn't have any. If you think any of this tripe has come from his brain, you're sorely mistaken.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

dart,

I got tangled up in a duvet cover and forgot about you. This one thing from your previous post:

Me: In the many years that I've been reading him, I can count 3 times when he hasn't framed a reference in quotes or supplied a link of some sort.

You: And we have seen at least two times where he didn't put a citation in quotes.

Me: Yes, the two times on this board were part of the "3" that I mentioned.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

dartagnan wrote:
Now might you respost any exchanges you had with JAK that demonstrate your attempt to engage him in cordial discussion/debate?

You can look up our original exchanges if you want. I know I didn't call him an idiot until after he kept dodging refutations. People can say stupid things and I generally have mercy on them at first. But once educated, they have no excuse for spewing the same stupidity later on. I tell my students the same thing. To keep doing this just proves to me they are not interested in learning or hearing about refuting evidence. People like JAK have their minds already made up. They'll be damned if they let a theist teach them anything.

That recent 28 pager was started by me in an attempt to isolate and address his argument head-on. He responded I think only once, and then abandoned the debate in the second or third thread. For the next 25 threads he argued about everything else under the sun with Moniker, except the issue at hand. That was a tragedy in itself. All the irrelevant nonsense about Amish and Shintoism, but he never wanted to address my questions directly. And that was when his internet women tried rearranging his argument to mean something ambiguous (insisting I misunderstood him) which he never would clarify for us, even though I asked him point blank to tell me what the hell he meant by dangerous. It was a huge joke. He never intended to discuss anything. He wanted to bloviate his hate and bigotry. He wasn't prepared for anyone to actually respond. People who rely on copying internet articles, generally aren't prepared.

Also, I'd like to see a list of any links or references that you supplied in the exchanges in question. Put it up here, dart.

I don't need to put up links. Neither does chap, or trevor, or tarski, or anyone else who speak on issue they're qualified to speak on.

People who rely strictly on wiki for every single thing they say, are not educated people, let alone professors! I can speak informatively on the Galileo situation, the crusades in history and the sociology of religion without directing people to wiki articles and that is something JAK can't handle. If he wants to debate specific points, then you'll see me provide scholarly references from books I own - not some cheesy website written by an extreme biased perspective, like a religious minister. But the debate never reaches that level with JAK because he isn't qualified to enter that realm, and he knows it. That's why he wants to keep the "discussion" to a dull roar and echo his assertions about his precious "thesis" (which isn't even his; it is one he stole from Dawkins) and how "nobody can refute" it.

That's the difference between us. JAK likes to provide a half dozen links written by God knows who, and then says "refute all that," as if this is supposed to show how smart he is. This is like every nimrod apologist who responds to specific points by throwing FARMS articles at us without actually engaging the points head-on.

It is like JAK is admitting he is incapable of giving us original thoughts. He doesn't have any. If you think any of this tripe has come from his brain, you're sorely mistaken.

As a matter of fact, I read the thread in question (the 28 pager that you refer to) as it took place and reviewed it again. I had hoped that since you made the claims you would see fit to back those claims with your own posts as evidence. Do you honestly think I posed the questions because I don't know the answers? The claims were yours, not mine. Were they mine, I would have gladly supplied the evidence.

Just a few items for now :

1. JAK used multiple sources of information, not "strictly wiki" as you wrote above.
2. He ceased posting to you as soon as you began using insults and ad hom in your posts.
3. The "irrelevant nonsense" about the Amish and Shinto, was raised by Moniker. JAK replied to her statements.

I'll give this post of yours a go as time permits.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Wait, dart, did you seriously say "his internet women"? Omg, that's entirely hysterical!

I'll get back to you here...

Jersey Girl
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

Jersey Girl wrote:3. The "irrelevant nonsense" about the Amish and Shinto, was raised by Moniker. JAK replied to her statements.

Okay, I replied to this in dart's post, but then deleted it 'cause truthfully I do NOT want to rehash that thread.

JAK first replied to a simple story I posted about the Amish. I replied to him and then we were OFFFF..... after he said a few things about me being truthful, disingenuous, he made assumptions about my life, told me I was making straw men, misrepresentations, distortions, etc... did I bring up Shintoism as a rebuttal to his main assertion in the thread. I asked at least twice why he continued to reply to me and that he should reply to dart.

At least FIVE PAGES (maybe MORE?) of that thread is nothing but me, you, marg, Ren, and JAK rehashing PRIOR posts to get quotes of things people later denied saying.

It was nuts. I would have GLADLY let him address someone OTHER than me. Especially after I was called ignorant, and a few other less than savory things were said about my intelligence.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

I found an exchange from January between Richard and JAK that I believe to be telling of JAK's smoke and mirror game.

JAK: The fact that nothing was written of Jesus until 30 to 110 years after his death is strong evidence that there never was a historical Jesus

richardMdBorn:You're wrong here. Paul's epistles discuss Jesus and were written prior to 30 years after his death.

JAK: Incorrect analysis, RMB. See [two links]

He provides a link that discusses early Christianity. You can spend twenty minutes scrubing that article and you'll find absolutely nothing that makes JAK's point. The second link refers to the pastoral epistles, proving JAK really has no clue what the hell he is talking about. In the third link we're directed to another wiki article and JAK points us down the page to a section called the "undisputed epistles." No dating for these epistles is offered. But biblical scholars have provided dates for several Pauline epistles that clearly refute JAK's dogmatic assertion that "nothing was written of Jesus until 30 to 110 years after his death." Here is a quick list of various epistles with estimated dates by scholars.

Thessalonians: 52 AD. 1 Corinthians: 54 AD. Romans & Galations 57-28 AD. Philippians: 59 AD. Colossians 61 AD.Ephesians 61 AD.

But back to the humorous exchange:
richardMdBorn: You wrote NOTHING. None of your sources refute the assertion that SOME of Paul's epistles were written prior to thirty years after Jesus' death. If I missed an argument to this effect, please show it to me again. Arguments about the authenticity of the pastoral epistles are irrelevant here.

JAK: On the contrary, I offered both websites and analysis on the issue which you raise. I’ll add to that. What sources have you offered for your contention? None.

The point Richard raised? No, it was a point JAK raised the minute he made the false statement. Richard simply asked him to back it up and JAK couldn't. Why? Because JAK's arguments are only as good as his ability to understand the sources he chooses to abuse.
At this point JAK thinks he should be getting credit because he is the only one to provide "links." Never mind the fact that none of them support his claim, he's got links! And until Richard proves otherwise, JAK thinks he wins by default.

JAK then gets flustered, saying "I'll add to that." What ensues is another rant supported by another list of "links." Are we directed to relevant scholarship? Don't get your hopes up. Instead, "professor" JAK directs us to three articles posted on infidels.org and another from an Islamic website! JAK relies on Muslims as support, while at the same time he says they're beyond reason because they believe in God. Yes, the irony if officially thick.

JAK spends the next five minutes ranting about how the Bible isn't trustworthy to begin with, completely shifting his argument from beforehand. You see, the original claim was that nothing was written about Jesus until 30-100 years after his death. Now JAK wants to argue that the Pauline epistles probably weren't written by Paul because some people dispute that. How does this change the fact that the epistles were written by someone, and they still refer to Jesus and still date to the time before the period insisted on by JAK? JAK continues to press his point to Richard that he has "offered no websites and no evidence that the various accounts in the Bible (either testament) demonstrate consistency or clarity."

As if that were ever the argument to begin with!!!!

Richard respond appropriately with the following:

JAK,

You started out by asserting that, "And the fact that nothing was written of Jesus until 30 to 110 years after his death is strong evidence that there never was a historical Jesus"

Your subsequent comments did nothing to support this assertion. Jesus’ death is commonly dated to either 30 or 33 AD. Let’s take the earlier date. Your assertion then is that nothing was written of Jesus prior to 60 AD. All of your other comments are irrelevant to this issue. It’s best to deal with your initial statement before moving on to other things.

Take for evidence Gary Habermas’s comments in his debate with Anthony Flew in Did Jesus Rise From the Dead:

"This is especially based, for instance, on I Cor 15:3ff. where virtually all scholars agree that Paul recorded an ancient creed concerning Jesus’ death and Resurrection That this material is traditional and pre-Pauline is evident from the technical terms delivered and received, the parallelism and somewhat stylized content, the proper names of Cephas and James, the non-Pauline words and the possibility of an Aramaic original. Concerning the date of this creed, critical scholars almost always agree that it is of very early origin, usually placing it in the A.D. 30s." (p. 23)

Notice how richard responds with a citation from a book, not the internet. JAK doesn't know how to handle this, so he responds with his usual argument shift, whining about how the New Testament isn't reliable etc etc. And of course, he's got "links" to prove it. A total derailment from the original point of argument.

Then Richard shows just how ridiculous JAK really is when he actually looks up JAK's "source" and notices how it refutes JAK's claim:
JAK, you wrote, "And the fact that nothing was written of Jesus until 30 to 110 years after his death is strong evidence that there never was a historical Jesus."

Now you write, "As I state, nothing was written at the time of the alleged life and spoken words of the also alleged character Jesus. Early Christian writings are sometimes dated as this chart shows."

Your own link contradicts your point:

50-60 1 Thessalonians 50-60 Philippians 50-60 Galatians 50-60 1 Corinthians 50-60 2 Corinthians 50-60 Romans 50-60 Philemon

All of these are at most 20-30 years after Jesus’ death.

Guess what happened to JAK?

Vanished as usual. What's the excuse going to be this time.... Richard was too mean to him too?
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Moniker wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:3. The "irrelevant nonsense" about the Amish and Shinto, was raised by Moniker. JAK replied to her statements.

Okay, I replied to this in dart's post, but then deleted it 'cause truthfully I do NOT want to rehash that thread.

JAK first replied to a simple story I posted about the Amish. I replied to him and then we were OFFFF..... after he said a few things about me being truthful, disingenuous, etc... did I bring up Shintoism as a rebuttal to his main assertion in the thread. I asked at least twice why he continued to reply to me and that he should reply to dart.

At least TEN PAGES of that thread is nothing but me, you, marg, Ren, and JAK rehashing PRIOR posts to get quotes of things people later denied saying.

It was nuts. I would have GLADLY let him address someone OTHER than me. Especially after I was called ignorant, and a few other less than savory things were said about my intelligence.

Yes, I saw your reply. He stopped posting to dart as soon as dart began filling his posts with ad hom and rhetoric. That's why he continued on with the rest of you. If I am mistaken, JAK will correct me should he be reading this. I know JAK from years long debate/discussion, he will cease responding to people who fill their posts with that sort of thing.

Repeat: He ceased posting to dart when dart began responding with ad hom and rhetoric.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

dart,

Why not find the exchanges that I requested of you? When you do, I guarantee you that you'll see your first response to JAK contained insults.

His internet women?

;-)
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Moniker wrote:

JAK first replied to a simple story I posted about the Amish. I replied to him and then we were OFFFF..... after he said a few things about me being truthful, disingenuous, etc... did I bring up Shintoism as a rebuttal to his main assertion in the thread. I asked at least twice why he continued to reply to me and that he should reply to dart.

At least TEN PAGES of that thread is nothing but me, you, marg, Ren, and JAK rehashing PRIOR posts to get quotes of things people later denied saying.

Yes, I saw your reply. He stopped posting to dart as soon as dart began filling his posts with ad hom and rhetoric. That's why he continued on with the rest of you. If I am mistaken, JAK will correct me should he be reading this. I know JAK from years long debate/discussion, he will cease responding to people who fill their posts with that sort of thing.

Repeat: He ceased posting to dart when dart began responding with ad hom and rhetoric.

Dart was doing ad homs. Then JAK started them with me.

Not that ANYONE cares but this is precisely how it went down after a few posts about Amish:

JAK's ad homs are here:
http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/vi ... 530#127530

My reply:
http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/vi ... 573#127573

Next reply from JAK to me:
http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/vi ... 927#127927

My reply:
http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/vi ... 933#127933

Ren replied for my request to show where my straw-man was:
http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/vi ... 938#127938

JAK's reply to Ren about the straw-man statement
http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/vi ... 953#127953

Ren's reply to JAK
http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/vi ... 969#127969

JAK's reply to Ren which completely ignored Ren's statements
http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/vi ... 979#127979

My reply to JAK
http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/vi ... 016#128016

Jak doesn't reply to my post the last post seen above.