moved thread

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

Jersey Girl wrote:dart,

Why not find the exchanges that I requested of you? When you do, I guarantee you that you'll see your first response to JAK contained insults.

His internet women?

;-)

Yes, and one of your replies contained insults for me, as well. :)

I don't hold it against you. I'm used to people saying I'm stupid on this board. Thing is, I recognize I'm about 20 years younger than most of those that say that, and still think that with the degree I hold I can hold my own. Just poli-sci with an emphasis in pre-law doesn't lend itself much to Mormon Discussions. :)
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

He stopped posting to dart as soon as dart began filling his posts with ad hom and rhetoric.

No, he didn't stop posting to me. This is why this lame excuse doesn't work. Someone who truly refuses to discuss with someone because of these kinds of reasons, doesn't only go with it sometimes. JAK only sometimes ignores me, and it always comes after I post something he hasn't the background to address. It has nothing to do with me calling him an idiot, or else he never would have responded to me later in the same discussion. He responds to only small portions of specific posts.

He never sticks through a debate, which is why he gladly used moniker's comment as an easy way to get the hell out of there while still making an official appearance. The guy really is a moron. He knows nothing about any of the subjects he chooses to discuss. It was hilarious watching him trying to keep pace with tarski and gadianton while quickly skimming a wiki article every time they responded to him. It is like that's all he knows how to do. Give him a book and he just might melt.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

dartagnan wrote:
He never sticks through a debate, which is why he gladly used moniker's comment as an easy way to get the hell out of there while still making an official appearance.

Yes, and then after I tried to get him to speak on "dangers" I was told it was off-topic???? FINALLY marg came in and she hashed about dogma and after that I was able to get a definition of dogma that JAK supplied -- after he supplied the definition it was clear that Shintoism contained no dogma (from his source he presented) and I stated that his original assertion was false. Being that his original assertion was false, I then agreed with him (again) that "truth by assertion is unreliable". It took 20+ pages to do it.

It was a mess. MOST of the posts were just going back showing what had already occurred.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

dartagnan wrote:
He stopped posting to dart as soon as dart began filling his posts with ad hom and rhetoric.

No, he didn't stop posting to me. This is why this lame excuse doesn't work. Someone who truly refuses to discuss with someone because of these kinds of reasons, doesn't only go with it sometimes. JAK only sometimes ignores me, and it always comes after I post something he hasn't the background to address. It has nothing to do with me calling him an idiot, or else he never would have responded to me later in the same discussion. He responds to only small portions of specific posts.

He never sticks through a debate, which is why he gladly used moniker's comment as an easy way to get the hell out of there while still making an official appearance. The guy really is a moron. He knows nothing about any of the subjects he chooses to discuss. It was hilarious watching him trying to keep pace with tarski and gadianton while quickly skimming a wiki article every time they responded to him. It is like that's all he knows how to do. Give him a book and he just might melt.

Well, dart...why don't you supply the quotes that I requested to demonstrate what you claim above? In the time you took to make your most recent replies, you could have easily met my request.

Look, I don't plan on going in circles with you much longer. Your phrasing in terms of "always" "never" and "only" aren't helpful in terms of evidence.

Put up the quotes and that'll solve it.

He never sticks through a debate? dart...I've gone 200+ post threads with him myself. Please!
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Building on this and then I'm logging off...and I mean it this time!

He never sticks through a debate? dart...I've gone 200+ post threads with him myself. Please!

200+ post threads that went on for days and often weeks, over a period of years. I'm talking about beating the horse till it dies, beating the dead horse, plucking off all the hairs, beating the hairs to death, burying the horse, digging it back up and beating it again.

I am so not kidding!
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Moniker wrote:I don't hold it against you. I'm used to people saying I'm stupid on this board. Thing is, I recognize I'm about 20 years younger than most of those that say that, and still think that with the degree I hold I can hold my own. Just poli-sci with an emphasis in pre-law doesn't lend itself much to Mormon Discussions. :)

A degree in Mormon anything would be about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop. Value the poly sci...it's more valuable in the real world.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
Moniker wrote:I don't hold it against you. I'm used to people saying I'm stupid on this board. Thing is, I recognize I'm about 20 years younger than most of those that say that, and still think that with the degree I hold I can hold my own. Just poli-sci with an emphasis in pre-law doesn't lend itself much to Mormon Discussions. :)

A degree in Mormon anything would be about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop.

Ew. Are there degrees in anything LDS?
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Moniker wrote:Ew. Are there degrees in anything LDS?

Not that I know of. A few places have Mormon Studies departments (in their infancy--like a professorship maybe) but I don't know of any degree programs yet.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
Moniker wrote:Ew. Are there degrees in anything LDS?

Not that I know of. A few places have Mormon Studies departments (in their infancy--like a professorship maybe) but I don't know of any degree programs yet.

Really? I wasn't aware of this. Just another thing I didn't know that I didn't know! :)
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

Why not find the exchanges that I requested of you? When you do, I guarantee you that you'll see your first response to JAK contained insults

So you can "guarantee" it huh?

I think the first time JAK and I crossed paths was a month ago in the same thread cited above. JAK was intent on picking a fight with me about something that had nothing to do with the subject. I kindly responded to him: "JAK, do us all a favor and go start another thread if you want to beat this "Jesus never existed" bunk from lunatics like Farrel Till. It really had nothing to do with what we're talking about."
Instead of complying with what I asked (it was my thread after all) he insisted on arguing with me about something I was only slightly interested in arguing. I even started off my next response with, "JAK, I take it you refuse to move this to a new thread?"

In is response JAK made a false statement: "Unlike New Testament stories, Alexander the Great was well documented at the time of his life by the Greeks and had conquered most of the world know to the Greeks. Your example is flawed and a failed parallel to the fact which I observed."

He linked us to another article which, again, didn't support his claim. I kindly responded, "The original biographies of Alexander have all been lost, and they are known only because they were used by later - much later - writers. The primary sources for Jesus were written nearer his own lifetime."

Guess who conveniently disappeared.... again! He couldn't find a web article - his only source of knowledge- to refute what I said, and when the internet goes silent on question answering, so does JAK.

http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/vi ... php?t=4813

Please illustrate where and how I "insulted" him in that thread.

He came across as a complete jackass, but I treated him as cordial as could be expected. And no, he doesn't stick around in debates - at least not in a meaningful way. He is more like a guy "working" at a construction site, who sweeps all day every day, without actually hammering a nail or lifting a screwdriver. He's there, but only trained eyes can see that he's really doing nothing of consequence. Any moron can plagiarize internet sites to appear smart but not everyone can tell that this is what he's actually doing. He needs people like you and marg because you actually think he's brilliant. You're his reason for being here.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein