Are my expectations too high??

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Are my expectations too high??

Post by _Scottie »

I went to Chuck-E-Cheese yesterday for my daughters birthday party and left EXTREMELY frustrated.

First, my 7 year old wanted to play the basketball game. The Orem location has 2 of these types of games. The first one had a group of 4 adult that would take turns. No kids played that the whole time I was there. The other one had a kid that kept pumping token after token in. We waited in line for about 15 minutes, but realized that he was NOT going to give anyone else a turn.

My daughter (along with about 8 other little kids) wanted to play skee ball, and we had to wait about 10 minutes for the PARENTS to finally be done playing.

And, I know this is going to sound horribly horribly racist of me, but the latino kids there are out of control!! I can't count how many times they would try and butt in front of us to play a game!! Several times the parents were standing right there and did nothing! They were just fine letting their kids run wild. My daughter was riding the car that takes a picture, and when it came out, one of these kids tried to take it and walk away! And it wasn't just this trip. This happens every single time we go.

Now, is it just me, or are these people in the wrong? Do they have just as much of a right to the games as the kids? Should Chuck-e-Cheese make a policy that parents can only play if they are helping the kids?
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Are my expectations too high??

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Scottie wrote:I went to Chuck-E-Cheese yesterday for my daughters birthday party and left EXTREMELY frustrated.

First, my 7 year old wanted to play the basketball game. The Orem location has 2 of these types of games. The first one had a group of 4 adult that would take turns. No kids played that the whole time I was there. The other one had a kid that kept pumping token after token in. We waited in line for about 15 minutes, but realized that he was NOT going to give anyone else a turn.

My daughter (along with about 8 other little kids) wanted to play skee ball, and we had to wait about 10 minutes for the PARENTS to finally be done playing.

And, I know this is going to sound horribly horribly racist of me, but the latino kids there are out of control!! I can't count how many times they would try and butt in front of us to play a game!! Several times the parents were standing right there and did nothing! They were just fine letting their kids run wild. My daughter was riding the car that takes a picture, and when it came out, one of these kids tried to take it and walk away! And it wasn't just this trip. This happens every single time we go.

Now, is it just me, or are these people in the wrong? Do they have just as much of a right to the games as the kids? Should Chuck-e-Cheese make a policy that parents can only play if they are helping the kids?

Gosh, I could write volumes in response to this! Isn't Chuck-e-Cheese's the place where a kid can be a kid? Yes, I agree that the adults were in the wrong and those who allowed their children to be inconsiderate of others who were waiting, were also in the wrong.

The American public as a whole are selfish and rude, and they fail to teach their children otherwise.

Don't get me started on this!
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Okay, it's too late now. I'm already started....

If I were the Rat-in-charge, I would put a turn limit on every game in the place and have little mice minions around to enforce it. Say, 5 turns per person and them move on. I think that parents (who are footing the bill) should be able to play alone and/or with their children.

People are so reluctant to set a limit and enforce it. This can be done politely by saying "Wonderful! Would you like to get in line for your next 5 turns?"

Jersey Girl
(potential mice minion trainer)
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

I don't think your standards are too high at all, you should be able to enjoy time with your chidren, maybe you should try going somewhere else.
Just punched myself on the face...
_Boaz & Lidia
_Emeritus

Post by _Boaz & Lidia »

Its because the place is ran by god damn Mormons! Those son's-a-bitches don't care about you!

Seriously, stop going to that place. You will get sick from the pizza and your kids will get sick from the ball crawl.
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

Oh! My! Goodness! Don't EVEN get me started on rudeness!

I was waiting in line for a GOOD 10 minutes the other day....... no other cashier open at MY gas station....... some new woman is working..... waiting patiently.... line slowly moves up........

New cashier opens and says NEXT in line (that would be ME) and about 6 people (all of them behind me) zoom over to her. No hesitation!

Wow!

People are rude.

Umm... Scottie, I agree with Jersey Girl. The parents were in the wrong to not let KIDS play, and any parent that lets their child act rudely is doing a piss poor job.

I don't go to Chuck E Cheese. I hate that place. I went ONCE and vowed never to return. I kept that vow.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Are my expectations too high??

Post by _moksha »

Scottie wrote:.

And, I know this is going to sound horribly horribly racist of me, but the Latino kids there are out of control!! I can't count how many times they would try and butt in front of us to play a game!! Several times the parents were standing right there and did nothing! They were just fine letting their kids run wild. My daughter was riding the car that takes a picture, and when it came out, one of these kids tried to take it and walk away! And it wasn't just this trip. This happens every single time we go.

There can definitely be a culture clash. I wish that many of the illegals had not discovered the local park where my daughter plays at. The bigger illegal immigrant children running roughshod can be a danger to the smaller kids and their parents jabbering away so loudly in Spanish is annoying to me and other parents. At some time in the future they will undoubtedly acculturate, but I am worried about their reluctance to learn English - which is aided and abetted by our willingness to provide everything in Spanish. The beauty of America in the past has been that it is a great melting pot - how can that possibly be accomplished if we cannot communicate?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

*sigh* Chuck E. Cheese is crap hole that caters to this kind of hyper-active hoo ha. Why anyone would go there in the first place is beyond me. Especially when they live in a beautiful outdoor environment which offers many, many attractions for healthy, fun and education childhood experiences. Lack of parental control likely increases as family size increases: I suspect Mormon families are as guilty of this behavior as "latino" ones (in fact they could be one and the same thing).

At least Moksha's culture clash was an attempt to explain things rather than just recycle semi-racist cliches. Myself, I'm saddened by lack of interest among americans in learning other languages: just one more area in which american education lags behind the rest of the world.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

I work in the biggest bastion of rude people in the history of the world. Wal-Mart. Trailer trash run amok....making messes, trashing areas for no reason. OMG! I hate the customers. Assholes they are. After a weekend of work I now know the feeling to commit a double homicide.

(by the way: Wal-Mart wasn't my first choice...and I'm already looking for a new job. I'm not content to work there.)

[sarcasm was used. I have no intention to commit a double homicide. Although if that bastard who tried on 30 pairs of pants comes back again I might be ready for a solo]
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Holy Moley Bond. I've had some terrible jobs, but...not...that. I stay away from Walmart. Though, in fairness, I must say the one I used the bathroom in (in the bathroom itself) in Brigham City last September seemed unoffensive enough. It was early in the morning, I was going to a place I wasn't sure how to get to and I had a outdated map, and Nature Called. Walmart was the first place I saw when I pulled off the highway that I thought would have easy access to public restrooms.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."