What should be done about American prisoner numbers?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

What should be done about American prisoner numbers?

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

We incarcerate more people than anyone on Earth. 1 in every 100 American adults is in prison. What should we do with these people? Do we just continue to sit on them (figuratively of course)? What what what? Imprisoning all these people in my opinion is a waste of money.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... /803020392

Personally I think prisoners should be offered a choice of serving in the military rather than sitting in prison. Offer two for one years could draw a few recruits (2 years in prison sentence for 1 year of service). More men to fill our manpower shortages, empty the prisons. That's what I think anyway. What's anyone else thing on the subject?
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Boaz & Lidia
_Emeritus

Post by _Boaz & Lidia »

With that amount, I wonder why we still do animal testing. Humans are far more descriptive.

Tester in charge: "NEXT!"

Tester: "You! number DU-459C-004, take this cleaner and pour some into your eye"

DU-459C-004 cringes as he pours the cleaner into his eye...

Tester: "How does it feel?"

DU-459C-004: "It feels like it is burning and it stings"

Tester: "Noted. Can you see out of that eye?"

DU-459C-004: "Not very well.. sobbing... it is blurry"

Tester: "Rinse that eye and get back in line, you still have another eye"

Later that year we pick up the new cleaner and read the warning label:
WARNING! KEEP OUT OF EYES!!!
May cause burning, stinging and blurry or loss or vison.

Oh and this marketing jingle: "Buy with confidence, this product is animal testing free!"
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Too bad we couldn't do a Mariel-like boatload to France.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

Oh! We get them as young people in our schools. We don't shuffle them into special education where they are neglected and set aside to continue on their path of learned helplessness. They need adults that help them understand their worth and value. It's too late for most by the time they're in prison, imho. :(

This didn't address your concern, I guess....... sorry.... I just have issues with teens being shuffled into segments of the school population, held back, and then not encouraged in our schools.

/teeny rant off/
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Decriminalization for posession of a harmless plant for starters.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Do you think Soylent Greens would help cut down on the cost of feeding prisoners?
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Mercury wrote:Decriminalization for posession of a harmless plant for starters.

I agree. Legalize it and tax it hell out of it.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
Mercury wrote:Decriminalization for posession of a harmless plant for starters.

I agree. Legalize it and tax it hell out of it.

Totally. If I could purchase a metered amount in a safe, clean federally regulated environment the world would be a better place.

Plus weed does not kill your liver.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

I'm not so sure our prisons are overflowing with weed smokers...
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Re: What should be done about American prisoner numbers?

Post by _ludwigm »

Bond...James Bond wrote:...
Personally I think prisoners should be offered a choice of serving in the military rather than sitting in prison. Offer two for one years could draw a few recruits (2 years in prison sentence for 1 year of service). More men to fill our manpower shortages, empty the prisons. That's what I think anyway. What's anyone else thing on the subject?

As a retired officer of the army, I am happy to be a retired one ( and to be non-US captain ) after this will be introduced.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei