Thank goodness for research.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Blixa wrote:I'll be back West this summer. Since I'll need to be in Southern Utah part of the time, maybe I can just go the extra coupla miles to Vegas...

If you make it, I have (have) to take you to the Artisan. But, if you're in Southern Utah, I'm sure I can hop up your direction... I've traveled to Zion for lesser things.

moksha wrote:
liz3564 wrote:You two are made for each other. We need to take up a collection to get Blixa and Steuss in the same room.

;)

You are such a wonderful Yenta. Maybe a nice room close to the library stacks of UNLV.

I like the Flamingo Library much better. In the basement is a largely unknown room where they sell used books.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Libraries rule.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Blixa wrote:Libraries rule.

Google drools.

(I have a friend who told me yesterday she is going to go to school to be a librarian. It made me wonder if being a librarian is like working at KFC. You love the product when you start, but you eventually end up hating it... what a tragedy to end up hating books the way that I hate fried chicken.)
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Doctor Steuss wrote:

Google drools.

(I have a friend who told me yesterday she is going to go to school to be a librarian. It made me wonder if being a librarian is like working at KFC. You love the product when you start, but you eventually end up hating it... what a tragedy to end up hating books the way that I hate fried chicken.)

I wonder the same thing. Seems like a shame to end up disliking something that originally was very important to oneself.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
I wonder the same thing. Seems like a shame to end up disliking something that originally was very important to oneself.

Ditto.....
_TrashcanMan79
_Emeritus

Post by _TrashcanMan79 »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
Doctor Steuss wrote:

Google drools.

Precisely why I will never become a gynecologist.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

TrashcanMan79 wrote:Precisely why I will never become a gynecologist.

Can't... breathe...

Brilliant.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Precisely why I will never be a computer engineer.

Oh wait . . .
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Can't... breathe...

Brilliant.

There are occupational risks. The wife of the anesthesiologist feel nothing.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

ludwigm wrote:
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Can't... breathe...

Brilliant.

There are occupational risks. The wife of the anesthesiologist feel nothing.

heh.

Well, I have to admit I'm bloody sick of teaching at the moment. I thought I would be all fired up after having the sabbatical, but my energy levels are sapped. I taught that Wilfred Owen poem "Dulce et Decorum est" last week and in the middle of reading it aloud realized that the first time I taught that poem was 30 years ago. I felt like dropping dead right there on the spot. But no, I don't hate reading and learning. I just hate the institutional limitations of teaching. Most of the time it seems like school is arranged to actively prevent learning...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."