Seriously Irritated

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Ren
_Emeritus

Post by _Ren »

Sometimes it's hard to believe this is actually the 21st bloody century...
Sorry you should have to put up with any attitudes like that GIMR. The world just ain't right :/
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

I don't know who those people are.
Just punched myself on the face...
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

GIMR, what an asshole to say that to you! Sheesh, why can't people mind their own business? If two people are happy then so be it!

Man -- this pisses me offffffffffff!
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
GIMR wrote:[...]
Steuss, someone put you out of their house? Dude!

They were fairly polite when they asked me to leave (it was mainly her cousin who wanted me gone), but they unfortunately didn't wait for me to be out of ear-shot before they started reaming my then quasi-girlfriend. Spilt milk.

To be honest, the people I thought would give me the most crap (family) have not at all. Mom adores him. And he's so psyched about that. We got an invitation to the summer house for Memorial Day weekend. Should've seen his end zone dance, it was cute.

That's fantastic! I wish I could have seen his "end zone dance," but being white, I doubt it was "cute." ;-)

...and then start on some tangent about the evils of white people

To be fair, someone has to do it.

People can be so petty about something so irrelevant as skin color. But yeah, spilt milk. I'm still a bit ticked, as the ex is trying to clean up the mess he made, but I'll get over it.

Steve's end zone dances are hilarious.

LOL, Steuss you are silly. I don't buy the whole "blue-eyed devils" bit... :P
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Mon, Ren,

I wonder sometimes what century this is as well. What people like my ex and his friend do not realize is that no one is keeping them back but themselves. A cousin of mine has reamed me for years thinking my life is so easy because of my light skin and proper speech. I was outraged to read in Ebony magazine the other month one of the senior editors writing this article in which she said light-skinned black people had it so easy in life. She claimed she was secure within herself, but went on about how she was locked in a furnace room as a child by other little girls because her skin was too dark. She gave all these statistics she couldn't back, and really sounded like a fool. On the other hand, the opposing article from an actual light-skinned black person actually backed up what she had to say, and was more about creating unity than complaining. It's really sick.

I had a distant cousin who wasn't necessarily light, but she had hazel eyes. The kids on the bus when I was a sophmore/junior in high school used to torment her...when they weren't tormenting me, the "Euro-trash" kid. So stupid.

I have a feeling this isn't gonna die down easily. My ex sent me this long text saying he couldn't control his friend, and how he thought we had an understanding...we did until he "lost control". Out of respect for me (if he had any), he could have kept his phone from his friend. But I think that secretly he wanted someone to say the things he didn't have the courage to. It's so stupid. I know I haven't heard the end of this...
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

I can't pretend to understand what it's like to have dark skin in America -- so I won't try.... but I had a friend when I was a pre-teen that one night broke down at a party and wanted to unzip her skin. She was very light skinned and I thought she was a beautiful person -- in and out. She wanted to be "white". I was stunned at her self-loathing and recognized then that there were some things I could never understand as much as I attempted to relate to her. All I could offer her was my support and friendship.

GIMR, I'm sorry you have to deal with others that have issues with anything about who you choose to love. It's ridiculous and my only hope is that they can recognize that you're happy and let you be.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

It's a comfort that most people are so happy to see us together. To be honest, I thought my family would give me grief, but I guess they see how happy I am. My mom has really latched onto him. There was once a time when I got grief because my family thought I wouldn't date black men. That wasn't true, it was just that I wanted mature, professional black men, not childish thugs...I have plans for my life, what do I have in common with dude on the corner? Why date him just because he's darker than me?

Unfortunately many black folks aren't going to let this issue die. Bill Cosby got ridiculed for telling the truth, many of our black celebs who aren't into sports or hip-hop are accused of "pandering to the white man". I once had this dude on the washington post forums go on and on about this whole white conspiracy in the DC area, and I flat out told him that if the playing field wasn't even, it was his responsibility to even it himself by means of common sense and an education. He hated me. :-)

Steve and I were talking about this today (I was really upset yesterday, I DO NOT like people close to me attacked in any way), and I can understand the curiousity that people have when they look at me. If you were to see some of my baby pictures, or even hear me speak a different language, you'd be amused. I was quite the "bright" child. Dark hair, dark eyes, white skin. I'm mistaken for something other than black all the time. Doesn't bother me now, rather it amuses me. I loved being "Afro-Deutsch" (half black, half German) when I was overseas, blended in quite well. To be honest, the only time I ever wished that I was a race other than what I am was when I was LDS. I never dated an LDS man (not steadily, I took one to an office Christmas party), and neither did any of the other black American women in my ward. I tried to explain the cultural difference between being an African LDS and an African-American LDS once on what used to be FAIR, and that just hit the roof.

He asked me how I came out so light with two black parents. Easy. Technically, my great grandmother on dad's side was only 1/4 black. She was half white, 1/4 black, 1/4 native-american. And to me, absolutely beautiful. I do miss her. She was a spitfire. I believe my mom's dad was also fair-skinned. People in the black community want to act like our history in this country wasn't peppered with interracial coupling, marriage...it has happened. There is no such thing as a pure race anymore.

We talked about what our kids would look like. I'm fascinated by the fact that they'd have six different nationalities within them. I'm mixed with Irish, English, African, and Native-American, Steve is mixed with Irish, Polish, English, and Scottish.

For years growing up here, people made an issue of my skin tone. People used to follow me in middle school asking themselves "what I was". Things changed when I moved to Germany, because apparently there they saw mixed races as beautiful. Blew my mind to be stared at with fascination instead of revulsion.

A friend of Steve's is starting a magazine about interracial couples. I would love to write a few articles. At this point, I definitely have a lot to say. For me, when it comes to dating, aesthetics are the last thing I look at. I just got lucky that my future babydaddy is fine, LOL.