Posts split from Dangers of Religion Reloaded

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Re: Dangers of Religion

Post by _Moniker »

I'm going to reply to JAK one last time and then I am finished!

JAK wrote:Hi Moniker,

I can understand why you would not want to read the entirety of my post to you. Nor would you wish to review each easy-access weblink in the following:

I don't desire to respond to most of your statements because you come across to me as rude, arrogant, and condescending. You've made swipes at my intelligence repeatedly and I choose not to interact with you when you do so.

In a previous thread in which you introduced a tangent on Shintoism as a religion without doctrine, I responded to you with information never contested on Shintoism. I just posted the information which was generally from my own Library edition of World Book Encyclopedia 1985. It paralleled what you found on the Internet. So, you implied I used what you found. You didn’t ask: Where did you get your information? I didn’t state it initially regarding it as general information. And I was being “succinct” in avoiding more words than seemed required for discussion on a bb.

I NEVER contested? I REFUTED the information FIRST and I've SHOWN THIS REPEATEDLY. I never stated WHERE you got it! I didn't t know WHERE you got the information and I've told you that repeatedly. I accept where you say you got it. I asked you to cite your sources when I did the tsk tsk post. Then I suppose you really got irritated with me 'cause the swipes came out, marg was all over me, and Jersey Girl came in as well. Sheesh. This is a big pile of WHO GIVES A CRAP???

Your post:
http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/vi ... 329#127329
Hi John,

Of course you are correct.

Shinto is the oldest surviving religion of Japan. The word Shinto means the way of the gods. Shintoists worship many gods, which are called kami. According to Shinto, kami (plural) are the basic forces in mountains, rivers, rocks, trees, and other parts of nature. Shinto also considers kami the basic force in such processes as creativity, disease, growth and healing.

Shinto emphasized rituals and moral standards. It does not have an elaborate philosophy and does not stress life after death as do some other religions.

There is not a specific date for the evolution of Shinto. Beginning about the 500s A.D., the Chinese philosophies of Buddhism and Confucianism influenced Shinto. Shintoists identified Buddhists gods as kami, and shrines adopted Buddhist images to represent the kami.

During the 1800s, as religions evolve, many Shintoists began to reject the Buddhist influence. In the mid-1800s, a movement called State Shinto stressed patriotism and divine origins of the Japanese emperor.

Later movements of Shinto attracted many followers in Japan during the 1800s and 1900s. Some of them encouraged group worship.

JAK

You then reposted the same post and directed it at me:

http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/vi ... 330#127330

Moniker,

Of course John is correct.

Shinto is the oldest surviving religion of Japan. The word Shinto means the way of the gods. Shintoists worship many gods, which are called kami. According to Shinto, kami (plural) are the basic forces in mountains, rivers, rocks, trees, and other parts of nature. Shinto also considers kami the basic force in such processes as creativity, disease, growth and healing.

Shinto emphasized rituals and moral standards. It does not have an elaborate philosophy and does not stress life after death as do some other religions.

There is not a specific date for the evolution of Shinto. Beginning about the 500s A.D., the Chinese philosophies of Buddhism and Confucianism influenced Shinto. Shintoists identified Buddhists gods as kami, and shrines adopted Buddhist images to represent the kami.

During the 1800s, as religions evolve, many Shintoists began to reject the Buddhist influence. In the mid-1800s, a movement called State Shinto stressed patriotism and divine origins of the Japanese emperor.

Later movements of Shinto attracted many followers in Japan during the 1800s and 1900s. Some of them encouraged group worship.

JAK

MY REPLY: (PLEASE NOTE I SAY THERE ARE THINGS INCORRECT IN YOUR POST -- I refute the INFORMATION!!!!!!!!)

http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/vi ... 469#127469
Moniker wrote:
JAK wrote: Shinto is the oldest surviving religion of Japan. The word Shinto means the way of the gods. Shintoists worship many gods, which are called kami. According to Shinto, kami (plural) are the basic forces in mountains, rivers, rocks, trees, and other parts of nature. Shinto also considers kami the basic force in such processes as creativity, disease, growth and healing.

The Kami are more like spirits than Gods. Shinto does not emphasize moral standards. Buddhism was interspersed (and is still) to deal with an afterlife in Japan. The Japanese live NOW with Shintoism and rely on Buddhism for their deaths -- pretty cool, I think. :)

How is today Shintoism (separate from the state) a dangerous religion? It has no dogma -- there are rituals, there are supernatural beliefs -- the Japanese are highly educated, are incredibly healthy and live a fairly marvelous life. This religion (without state control) must be shown to be dangerous for your primary thesis to stand. How the religion was co-opted in the past does not offer proof that this religion, practiced today (and is actually just THE culture of Japan) is a danger.

AFTER I refuted your information I noticed that it was word for word not yours:

Moniker wrote:JAK -- tsk! tsk!

http://www.studyworld.com/newsite/Repor ... -38643.htm
Cite your sources:
Shinto is the oldest surviving religion of Japan. The word
Shinto means the way of the gods. Shintoists worship many
gods, which are called kami. According to Shinto, kami are
the basic force in mountains, rivers, rocks, trees, and
other parts of nature. Shinto also considers kami the basic
force in such processes as creativity, disease, growth and
healing.

Shinto emphasizes rituals and moral standards. It does not
have an elaborate philosophy, and, unlike many religions,
it does not stress life after death.

JAK wrote:Shinto is the oldest surviving religion of Japan. The word Shinto means the way of the gods. Shintoists worship many gods, which are called kami. According to Shinto, kami (plural) are the basic forces in mountains, rivers, rocks, trees, and other parts of nature. Shinto also considers kami the basic force in such processes as creativity, disease, growth and healing.

You think I need a lot of repetitions? This is quite simple JAK and you can't handle it for some reason or another. NO ONE cares about this and yet you keep railing on about it. I don't give one iota about this and wish you'd stop yapping about it. Get over it. You posted information as your own twice, I refuted the information, noticed it wasn't your original words and you've had it out for me since then.

I won't be discussing this again. It's so ridiculous, so overblown, and just so absurd I won't waste another moment on it.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

[MODERATOR NOTE: Thread moved by Dr. Shades.]
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley