I-80 Cheyenne WY to SLC

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

I-80 Cheyenne WY to SLC

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Who has driven this route? What's it like terrain wise?
_Boaz & Lidia
_Emeritus

Post by _Boaz & Lidia »

Three words: Google Map it.

Most of the drive in utah has "street view" where you can actually see what the ground level view looks like.
Click the "terrain" button to see a relief map of the mountains in Wyoming.

Next time remember this, "Google first, then ask questions."
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Boaz & Lidia wrote:Three words: Google Map it.

Most of the drive in utah has "street view" where you can actually see what the ground level view looks like.
Click the "terrain" button to see a relief map of the mountains in Wyoming.

Next time remember this, "Google first, then ask questions."

I did google it first, thanks very much. I want to know what the mountains there are like from someone who's drive it. Next you'll be telling me to get out a topo map. Stop it.

Have you driven it?
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

I think the drive sucks myself. It will be colder than shizzle this time of year, windy, the ground alternates between very hilly and desert.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Bond...James Bond wrote:I think the drive sucks myself. It will be colder than shizzle this time of year, windy, the ground alternates between very hilly and desert.

Thanks, Bond. It looks like most of it is the middle of nowhere with towns sprinkled here and there. Geez, I don't like the looks of it. Very boring!
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:I think the drive sucks myself. It will be colder than shizzle this time of year, windy, the ground alternates between very hilly and desert.

Thanks, Bond. It looks like most of it is the middle of nowhere with towns sprinkled here and there. Geez, I don't like the looks of it. Very boring!

Yeah. There isn't much between Laramie (where the main attraction is the U. of Wyoming) and Rock Springs Wy. If you can go I-70 and then north on I-15 I believe then go that way. Over the rockies (the good Rockies, not those crappy hills in southern Wyoming) is the way to go.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

Yeah. There isn't much between Laramie (where the main attraction is the U. of Wyoming) and Rock Springs Wy. If you can go I-70 and then north on I-15 I believe then go that way. Over the rockies (the good Rockies, not those crappy hills in southern Wyoming) is the way to go.

The Rockies are what I had hoped to avoid. I'm pretty sure I'm bagging the whole idea now. Thanks for your advice. I blame IKEA for this insanity.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

It is a mountain vista-type drive, that becomes dangerous when it has been snowing. Prepare for ups and downs. by the way, the Spring Chicken Inn at the Wanship exit has some tasty chicken.

The drive that does suck is the area on I-80 from Wendover, Nevada to Reno, Nevada.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Ten Bear
_Emeritus

Post by _Ten Bear »

I'm from Idaho but I live in Denver, now, and I go back frequently through 1-80. I've driven it so many times, I think my truck could drive itself back.

The sediment is correct. It sucks. One word: sagebrush. .... and nothing else. There is the whiteouts, though. The white-outs this time of year are killer. Literally, I mean "KILLER". They have more deaths on that strip than just about anywhere else. The wind never stops and even if it only snows a skif, it'll blow it all around at 70 miles per hour and you can't see crap. Then a semi will plow into you from behind. Just as you're leaving Larime, you'll see a windmill farm up on the ridge. It's there for a reason.

You'll hit Rawlings next after going through a lot of sagebrush. There will be some rolling hills with sagebrush on it and some flat lands with sagebrush all over. After Rawlings, you'll drive through shallow rollling hills with sagebrush on it. You won't even know it, but you'll cross over the continental divide - three times. It does this windy thing where you cross it more than once. But don't forget to see the sagebrush.

Next you'll hit Rock Springs after more sagebrush. You'll zip by Little America then you'll hit Lyman and then Evanston all surronded by plenty of sagebrush. After that, you'll be glad to be driving down the slope towards Salt lake and you'll start to see the back side of the Wasatch and, yes, finally some trees.

I never drive that drive with thinking, how the HELL did they do that pulling a hand cart?
"If False, it is one of the most cunning, wicked, bold, deep-laid impositions ever palmed upon the world, calculated to deceive and ruin millions… " - Orson Pratt on The Book of Mormon
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

moksha wrote:The drive that does suck is the area on I-80 from Wendover, Nevada to Reno, Nevada.

I can testify to that, Brother Mok. Boring. Dull. No good stopping places. Too easy to speed (I think I picked up at least 5 or 6 tickets on that stretch of road during my college years).
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)