Are Catholics, Christians? (not joking)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Are Catholics, Christians? (not joking)

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:44 pm
Epilogue.

The patient never the received communion they requested. :shock:
Crazy. My wife and I will be hiking El Camino https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camino_de_Santiago this next Spring (see: The Way, 2010). If you’d like, I can light an incense or say a prayer in one of the cathedrals for them. I’ll reach out before I leave as a reminder, if I remember.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:12 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:44 pm
Epilogue.

The patient never the received communion they requested. :shock:
Crazy. My wife and I will be hiking El Camino https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camino_de_Santiago this next Spring (see: The Way, 2010). If you’d like, I can light an incense or say a prayer in one of the cathedrals for them. I’ll reach out before I leave as a reminder, if I remember.

- Doc
A moment... My atheist friend (and I mean that) your kindness just brought tears to the eyes of this Jersey Girl. You are a good man with a good heart and a good spirit. You are, in fact, one of the small handful of posters I even read here any more. I've either put everyone else on ignore or I simply ignore them. I just got tired of reading trash.

There are things happening that I never post about but we're doing okay. It's been a long summer. If you would like to do me the kindness of lighting an incense or saying a prayer in one of the cathedrals, could you do it for this horrible, corrupt, wasteful, confused, contentious and angry world we are living in? Because we are straight up killing ourselves.

I would really appreciate if you thought to do that.

You humbled me.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I will.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Where I must profess ignorance is the Council of Nicaea. My reading on the subject was decades ago, and what I remember was that Matthew, Mark and Luke were called the synoptic gospels. Mark was the oldest, written approximately 70 years after the death of Jesus. There are portions of each that are virtually identical to the other 2, leading scholars to speculate that an older document called, (and I'm not kidding) Document Q was the basis for parts of the 3 synoptic gospels. So the first hand accounts of many of the actions in the life of Jesus are known to us from an unknown document.

Jesus died an outlaw. His followers kept his memory alive in secret. The secret greeting among Christians was for a person to draw a line on the ground:

If you were a fellow Christian, you completed the image:

We remember the symbol of the fish, but we really don't think about the nature of Christianity as an outlaw religion was until the Emperor Constantine converted. There was no keeper of the records after Jesus died or ascended into heaven. There were other records of the life of Jesus which did not make it into the canon.

My favorite scene in The Life of Brian is when Jesus is preaching the Sermon on the Mount. The camera pulls slowly back through the multitude assembled, and as it does, Jesus's voice becomes fainter and fainter. This leads to people in the back of the crowd wondering why Jesus said "Blessed are the cheese makers" and why "The Greeks shall inherit the earth".

When people talk about Christianity, I feel like I'm like one of the people at the back of the crowd at the Sermon on the Mount. I'm not sure we're hearing everything Jesus said correctly. I'm not trying to say anything nasty about the life of Jesus. But when we say something is 'the Gospel truth', I wonder what that really means.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:12 pm
Like seriously, the more I think about it, the more I think I want to report her to her administrator. Shouldn't a professional who fields questions every day of her working life be able to finesse their way through an exchange like that without insulting the patient or possibly scaring the actual hell out of them prior to surgery?
Yup. And that is pretty well all that needs to be said. Report the woman now.

You could save a lot of unpleasantness for other people who might be subjected to the same unprofessional behaviour when she encounters them.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

I think the scenario could be taken a couple if different ways. I’d suspect you’re way more upset than the Catholic patient.

When I’m asked about my religious preference, I usually reply, “Christian.” I know when I’ve attended infant baptism and funerals of my Catholic relatives, it has been made very clear by the Catholic clergy, that there is a difference in beliefs between the Catholic Church and the beliefs of the evangelicals/Protestants present, beliefs of which are exclusive of one another. I’m not at all offended when I’m told I should not participate in Catholic communion. In fact, I respect their stance.

In the situation you mentioned, I’d have probably said, “I’m not Catholic, I’m a whosoever, and let it go at that.”
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey J to the G :)

Not to look like I'm attempting to defend either person in your OP (I promise, I am not) but I wonder if confusion/poor communication played a role in this scenario? Perhaps the Catholic/Christian wasn't really the issue?

To a Catholic person, Holy Communion (Holy Eucharist) would not be seen/treated/understood as the same thing as communion by many many other Christians - A Catholic would be expecting Holy Communion (Real Presence - Body/Blood of Jesus) and they would also certainly expect the bread and wine to have been transubstantiated by an ordained Catholic priest into the Body and Blood.

Anyway, just a thought.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:18 pm
I will.
Awesome. Both your selection of hike and the offer to Jersey Girl.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ceeboo wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:18 pm
Hey J to the G :)

Not to look like I'm attempting to defend either person in your OP (I promise, I am not) but I wonder if confusion/poor communication played a role in this scenario? Perhaps the Catholic/Christian wasn't really the issue?

To a Catholic person, Holy Communion (Holy Eucharist) would not be seen/treated/understood as the same thing as communion by many many other Christians - A Catholic would be expecting Holy Communion (Real Presence - Body/Blood of Jesus) and they would also certainly expect the bread and wine to have been transubstantiated by an ordained Catholic priest into the Body and Blood.

Anyway, just a thought.
Yeah, I realize that. I don't think it was appropriate to make the distinction given the setting and circumstances.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I'm not down with anti-Catholic bigotry, even if it is coming from a place of mere ignorance. Sad that a person would think Catholics are not Christian.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow