Arrogant Assholes of the Code world - Geeks Only Discussion

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

liz3564 wrote:
Mercury wrote:
liz3564 wrote:[
I agree. I think that the problem is, most programmers who are "wet behind the ears", fresh out of school do not have a business background.

Exactly. Add to that an aire of contempt for stepping outside the box and you have a recipe for false complacency.

What do you think could be a resolution to this gap?

We should invent a new uber programming language and call it adamic.

More seriously, I think that internships can help. Even that will leave out some important experiences. For me a huge wake-up call was when I had to help support my products after they shipped. Another thing that took some time to learn is that good ideas from a product standpoint are not always good ideas from a schedule standpoint. Even harder to learn is in knowing which features are worth fighting for and which ones really do need to be cut to meet a schedule. I don't think you can really learn those things in school.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Abman wrote:Even harder to learn is in knowing which features are worth fighting for and which ones really do need to be cut to meet a schedule. I don't think you can really learn those things in school.

Amen to that!

;)
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

liz3564 wrote:
Mercury wrote:
liz3564 wrote:[
I agree. I think that the problem is, most programmers who are "wet behind the ears", fresh out of school do not have a business background.

Exactly. Add to that an aire of contempt for stepping outside the box and you have a recipe for false complacency.

What do you think could be a resolution to this gap?

Educate coders to think like entrepeneurs, require (more) business courses for CS students, slap them with a *NIX manual or two.

It comes down to three things: Process Process and Process
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

Since we're talking IT here, I need some help!!

We are in the process of doing our own offsite backups. We were using an offsite provider, but it was like $3000 a year!

I figure we can do it ourselves for a couple hundred bucks to our Indy office.

However, I've tried several backup software solutions and they are all CRAP!!

I've tried GenieSoft, Symantec Backup Exec, UltraBac, and one other one I can't remember the name of...

Do you guys know of any other ones I can try??

We basically have a VPN connection between our Utah and Indy locations, so it would be just as though I were backing it up to a network drive.
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Scottie wrote:Since we're talking IT here, I need some help!!

We are in the process of doing our own offsite backups. We were using an offsite provider, but it was like $3000 a year!

I figure we can do it ourselves for a couple hundred bucks to our Indy office.

However, I've tried several backup software solutions and they are all CRAP!!

I've tried GenieSoft, Symantec Backup Exec, UltraBac, and one other one I can't remember the name of...

Do you guys know of any other ones I can try??

We basically have a VPN connection between our Utah and Indy locations, so it would be just as though I were backing it up to a network drive.

Step 1: establish an SSH session between teh backup server and the server being backed up

step 2: use rsync

step 3: throw a script into CRON to do it for you when you need it

If u are not using *NIX hang up your IT hat and cry yourself to sleep :)
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

And after I cry myself to sleep, I still need to backup my files...

Edited to add:

Now wait a minute!! Weren't you just bitching about developers being SOOOO closed minded thinking that THEIR ideas were the best???
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

In windows:

VPN is basically the equivalent of SSH. For extra functionality you might need remote desktop (mstsc)

You can often find Windows versions of *NIX utilities if you look (bsdiff, sdelta). If nothing ele, you can use cygwin. Actually, I imagine there are windows utilities for delta backups, but I don't know what.

AT is basically the equivalent of CRON. The GUI version is Task Scheduler.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO