New Book Proves more Treason from Trump

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: New Book Proves more Treason from Trump

Post by Gadianton »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:09 pm
Authoritarianism is when an unelected sovereign tells you what to do often times while hiding any data and shutting down any dissent. This is more akin to what the CDC is doing by ordering landlords not to continue building houses for people to live in rent or mortgage free or demanding that entire industries be shut down rather than allowing people the freedom to make their own risk/reward assessment when living their life.
Do you also think that drivers should be allowed to make their own risk assessments and drive drunk if they feel comfortable doing so?
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey again RI
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:42 pm
The book isn't about the "politically conservative voters in America." It's about Trump's base
Okay - Got it (Thanks)

To clear up some more of my confusion - and to make sure I don't fall out or my chair and hurt myself - I'm going to ask you another question.

Of the 74 plus million people who voted for Trump in 2020, how many of them would you guess are "Conservative voters" and how many would you guess are "Trump's base?" - How would you break that number down?
I suspect you fell out your chair because you've bought into right wing propaganda that authoritarians are only on the left. Right-wing media is very good at branding the left with criticisms that apply equally (sometimes more often) to the right.
OH NO!!!! Almost fell out of that chair again! :lol:

Did you really just say that right-wing media is very good at branding the left with criticisms that apply equally (sometimes more often) to the right?

Do you think left-wing media exists? How about left-wing propaganda , they doing any branding?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Do you also think that drivers should be allowed to make their own risk assessments and drive drunk if they feel comfortable doing so?
This analogy was valid before everyone had the opportunity to be vaccinated. Even so, the idea that the unelected bureaucrets at the CDC could order a moratorium on rent was outrageous before the vaccine. After knowing that the vaccines are extremely effective, the authoritarian communism behind the policy shines through ever more clearly.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

This analogy was valid before everyone had the opportunity to be vaccinated.
Well, you're right, it was valid before the vaccine.

Also, it continues to be valid after vaccine availability. There is still an externality associated with not getting vaccinated. I believe the example of polio has been brought up a couple of times.

I partially agree on price-fixing. way too much 'stimulus' on top of interest rates already too low that has significantly gone to the wrong people. A hot economy with surging house prices isn't going to help the poor long term, or really anybody except the rich. Better would have been to use some of that money for longer-term rent and food assistance for the poor and most affected; and that keeps small-time housing providers getting paid.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey Gad

Great to see you! - Hope all is well.
Gadianton wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:58 pm
I partially agree on price-fixing. way too much 'stimulus' on top of interest rates already too low that has significantly gone to the wrong people. A hot economy with surging house prices isn't going to help the poor long term, or really anybody except the rich. Better would have been to use some of that money for longer-term rent and food assistance for the poor and most affected; and that keeps small-time housing providers getting paid.

Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:30 pm
This analogy was valid before everyone had the opportunity to be vaccinated. Even so, the idea that the unelected bureaucrets at the CDC could order a moratorium on rent was outrageous before the vaccine. After knowing that the vaccines are extremely effective, the authoritarian communism behind the policy shines through ever more clearly.
So says the racist who thinks stopping the spread of COVID early was more important than BLM protests. You're an idiot and a waste of oxygen. Humanity will be so much better off when you're dead.
Um, that's not me posting as Hawkeye. This is a new forum, which means anyone could have signed up using that name. But clearly someone did this only so they could pretend to be me.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ceeboo wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:18 pm
Hey again RI
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:42 pm
The book isn't about the "politically conservative voters in America." It's about Trump's base
Okay - Got it (Thanks)

To clear up some more of my confusion - and to make sure I don't fall out or my chair and hurt myself - I'm going to ask you another question.

Of the 74 plus million people who voted for Trump in 2020, how many of them would you guess are "Conservative voters" and how many would you guess are "Trump's base?" - How would you break that number down?
I suspect you fell out your chair because you've bought into right wing propaganda that authoritarians are only on the left. Right-wing media is very good at branding the left with criticisms that apply equally (sometimes more often) to the right.
OH NO!!!! Almost fell out of that chair again! :lol:

Did you really just say that right-wing media is very good at branding the left with criticisms that apply equally (sometimes more often) to the right?

Do you think left-wing media exists? How about left-wing propaganda , they doing any branding?
Stop please. This kind of reflexive whataboutism is a large part of what is preventing meaningful political communication between right and left. When I make an observation on the right, I’m not saying anything about the left. The book I referred to is about authoritarianism among Trump’s base. If I wanted to start a conservation about some other authoritarian movement, I would have done so. Such movements exist all around the world and have existed at different times. I’m not obligated to discuss them all as condition about talking about one. So, you can save the whataboutism for someone else who wants to play that game. I’m not playing.

I have no idea what the breakdown is today. There was no Republican primary election this time around that gave voters a choice between a conservative candidate and Trump. A good litmus test might be those who still express support for the attempt to force their way into the Capitol to prevent Congress from counting the electoral vote. The intro says there is a fair amount of survey data, so maybe there’s some data that would give a better estimate.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Icarus wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:26 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:30 pm

So says the racist who thinks stopping the spread of COVID early was more important than BLM protests. You're an idiot and a waste of oxygen. Humanity will be so much better off when you're dead.
Um, that's not me posting as Hawkeye. This is a new forum, which means anyone could have signed up using that name. But clearly someone did this only so they could pretend to be me.
Yeah, it clearly wasn’t you.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:23 pm
Stop please. This kind of reflexive whataboutism is a large part of what is preventing meaningful political communication between right and left.
So, you can save the whataboutism for someone else who wants to play that game. I’m not playing.
Fair enough.