Cyberbullying--is it criminal. Should it be?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Cyberbullying--is it criminal. Should it be?

Post by _asbestosman »

I was watching some onlnie shows when I got an ad with crimedog McGruff's picture on it and a link to ncpc.org/cyberbullyging. The ad show kids saying cruel things to another kid and then at the end they saying, "If you wouldn't say it to her face, don't day it online. Delete Cyberbullying."

Maybe it's just me, but people actually did say things like that to my face as well as the occasional physical contact although it was fortunately more rare. Maybe it's just me, but adults did almost nothing to stop it save on some very rare occasions. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't try to commit suicide over it. Maybe it's just me, but it taught me that bullying, while rude and mean, isn't illegal. Maybe it's just me, but it taught me that I can't rely on others to protect me--I need to protect myself (and no, violence isn't my thing, but knowledge of basic self-defense is important both verbal and physical). Maybe it's just me, but I think bullying has made me shy, introvered, and even suspicious of strangers, but also motivated me to improve some talents above my peers (math and computers in my case) to sort of prove my worth to myself.

Is bullying wrong? Absolutely. Should it be illegal? I'm not sure. I'm not sure when it crosses the line to harasment. I'm not sure how much of it is something kids should learn to deal with themselves. I'm not sure where one draws the line between rudeness and harasment.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

Well, I think unfortunately that the people that say cruel things on the net probably are pretty cruel off the net, too... People will always fall into packs, use psychological manipulation, gossip, physical intimidation, etc.. to do what they wish to the weaker ones in a group.

Don't give out information that can be used against you. Don't be gullible! We can't outlaw cruelty or gullibility, yet, we can teach people how to protect themselves.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Re: Cyberbullying--is it criminal. Should it be?

Post by _truth dancer »

asbestosman wrote:I was watching some onlnie shows when I got an ad with crimedog McGruff's picture on it and a link to ncpc.org/cyberbullyging. The ad show kids saying cruel things to another kid and then at the end they saying, "If you wouldn't say it to her face, don't day it online. Delete Cyberbullying."

Maybe it's just me, but people actually did say things like that to my face as well as the occasional physical contact although it was fortunately more rare. Maybe it's just me, but adults did almost nothing to stop it save on some very rare occasions. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't try to commit suicide over it. Maybe it's just me, but it taught me that bullying, while rude and mean, isn't illegal. Maybe it's just me, but it taught me that I can't rely on others to protect me--I need to protect myself (and no, violence isn't my thing, but knowledge of basic self-defense is important both verbal and physical). Maybe it's just me, but I think bullying has made me shy, introvered, and even suspicious of strangers, but also motivated me to improve some talents above my peers (math and computers in my case) to sort of prove my worth to myself.

Is bullying wrong? Absolutely. Should it be illegal? I'm not sure. I'm not sure when it crosses the line to harasment. I'm not sure how much of it is something kids should learn to deal with themselves. I'm not sure where one draws the line between rudeness and harasment.

I have a difficult time with the idea that we should let children be victims of crime, violence, or hate so they can learn to protect or deal with it themselves.

Nope. As adults we need to protect children and do what we can to create a healthy society and world.

The fact that some people make it through abuse (or any type of horrible situation) doesn't mean the hate and violence should be ignored, or allowed.

I'm glad you made it through... seriously. But there are a lot of folks who feel the results of cruelty long into their adult lives.

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_Moniker
_Emeritus

Post by _Moniker »

http://cbkit.tripod.com/id14.html

Post Traumatic Stress can occur from traumatic events.