Anyone Seeing Batman Tonight?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

So I guess it's better than the "first" one, "Batman Begins?"
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Terrific movie. This one topped Batman begins, which I liked quite well. Christian Bale makes the best Batman. They have set up the ability to do many other movie. Yes Ledger did a great job. Too bad about his death. The movie is complex and moves fast so pay attention when you go. I loved the shots from building tops especially Hong Kong. Felt like I was falling and flying with Batman.

I love movies and am rarely satisfied these days. Thus I usually wait till movies come out on DVD and get them through my Blockbuster Online account. But I was quite pleased after this show and felt it was $9 well spent.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Alter Idem wrote:My two oldest went to see it at the midnight showing--they are absolutely gushing over the movie.

Their words: "Heath Ledger was amazing--I don't know what they will do if they try to cast the joker again--no one can top his performance". "The Story was excellent---they almost combined way too many story lines and it could have been confusing, but they managed to keep it straight and make them work". "The action sequences did not drag on and Aaron Eckhart did a really great job too". "Gary Oldman was great---he had some really intense scenes, and Christian Bale IS "Batman"". "It was funny--it was able to move from deeply disturbing to hilarious--part of it was the "joker"--he is fantastic." Sounds like Heath Ledger deserves the oscar.

My daughter says it's not for children though(this coming from a girl who said "Hellboy 2 and Ironman were fine for kids)--She said it's too disturbing, too violent, The Joker is too freaky...She gave the movie five stars!

I agree it is not for kids. In a way I am surprised it did not get an R. Borderline I guess. But it is not a feel good movie and really was rather dark and depressing not in a bad way though. I won't say anymore because I do not want to spoil it.
_TrashcanMan79
_Emeritus

Post by _TrashcanMan79 »

I wasn't disappointed, which is saying a lot if you knew what a film snob I am - although Christian Bale's death metal vocals whenever he's decked out as Batman totally grated on my nerves. Ledger was awesome and totally deserved all the hype, and I was blown away by how creepy Two-Face looked. I give it a 7 on the Peter Meter.

Edit Forgot to mention how brilliant and hilarious I found the Joker's disappearing pencil trick! I LOL just thinking about it!
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Here's my review of this movie:

**Spoiler alerts though**

http://zackc.wordpress.com/2008/07/19/t ... -thoughts/
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

Before the movie began, there was a little kid crying saying, "I don't want to see it....I don't want to..."

Finally someone yelled to take the kid out and everyone cheered.

Weird.
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo
_Angus McAwesome
_Emeritus

Post by _Angus McAwesome »

The Pencil trick was pure gold... My girlfriend and myself went to see this movie and when that scene happened we were the only people in the theater that got the joke. We got a lot of funny looks over how hard we were laughing at that.
I was afraid of the dark when I was young. "Don't be afraid, my son," my mother would always say. "The child-eating night goblins can smell fear." Bitch... - Kreepy Kat
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I went to see this last week while on a trip. I didn't see the first one so I can't say which is better. Christian Bale makes an excellent Batman but quite frankly, Heath Ledger stole the move. His portrayal of the Joker was totally phenomenal.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

I am a long-time Batman fan and it was a thoroughly enjoyable film. I did not think it wrapped up things as neatly as Batman Begins, but it did have better action and Heath Ledger's performance was wonderful. The cinematography was just gorgeous as well--I so wish I could see it in IMAX.

Some people have complained that it did not deserve the PG-13 rating. I disagree, but it was borderline. There's several scenes of disturbing violence in the movie largely involving the Joker's victims, but most of it is bloodless and filmed in such a way that it essentially happens off-camera. Really, really not a movie for small children, but it's not like Hostel with a PG-13 rating. And to compensate, I don't recall hearing a single swear word the entire movie.

Then again, I remember my Dad taking me to see the first Michael Keaton Batman movie when I was a small girl and how freaking terrified I was when the Joker electrified a man in a chair. Those movies weren't really for children either.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Jack Meyers wrote:I am a long-time Batman fan and it was a thoroughly enjoyable film. I did not think it wrapped up things as neatly as Batman Begins, but it did have better action and Heath Ledger's performance was wonderful. The cinematography was just gorgeous as well--I so wish I could see it in IMAX.

Some people have complained that it did not deserve the PG-13 rating. I disagree, but it was borderline. There's several scenes of disturbing violence in the movie largely involving the Joker's victims, but most of it is bloodless and filmed in such a way that it essentially happens off-camera. Really, really not a movie for small children, but it's not like Hostel with a PG-13 rating. And to compensate, I don't recall hearing a single swear word the entire movie.

Then again, I remember my Dad taking me to see the first Michael Keaton Batman movie when I was a small girl and how freaking terrified I was when the Joker electrified a man in a chair. Those movies weren't really for children either.

I'm going again in a couple hours. 313$ million in two weeks. This movie is going to either take the all time record or slide in behind Titanic [although inflation and pure ticket sales might lead to different numbers. I have a feeling no one is ever going to beat Gone with the Wind for pure ticket sales.]

Dark Knight thoughts 2.0 by Bond:
http://zackc.wordpress.com/2008/07/27/t ... ersion-20/
Original Dark Knight piece:
http://zackc.wordpress.com/2008/07/19/t ... -thoughts/

I loved the Michael Keaton movies because of the Gothic feel by Tim Burton. Jack Nicholson was also an excellent villian [although he is blown out of the water by Heath Ledger].
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07