Algae is the new fuel?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Algae is the new fuel?

Post by _Scottie »

Check out this video:

The highlights are that this company is growing algae and converting the lipids into gasoline.

According to the video, an acre of corn can produce 18 gallons of oil per acre per year. Palm can get 700-800 gallons per acre per year. Algae can get 20,000 gallons per acre per year in a pond system.

After they have extracted the lipids from the algae, the rest can be used as low grade feed or fertilizer.

Pretty neat if it works.
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Re: Algae is the new fuel?

Post by _silentkid »

Scottie wrote:Check out this video:

The highlights are that this company is growing algae and converting the lipids into gasoline.

According to the video, an acre of corn can produce 18 gallons of oil per acre per year. Palm can get 700-800 gallons per acre per year. Algae can get 20,000 gallons per acre per year in a pond system.

After they have extracted the lipids from the algae, the rest can be used as low grade feed or fertilizer.

Pretty neat if it works.

My company is working on algae as biodiesel research as well. It's not a new idea...I think this type of research began during the oil crisis of the 70's. I'm going to the Phycological Society of America seminar next week in New Orleans where some papers will be presented detailing some of the latest research in the field.