Okay Bond! You win.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Okay Bond! You win.

Post by _gramps »

Well, Bond suggested I somehow find the energy to post up to that special 1,000 post level.

It seems very far off. ;) Not thinking much about Mormonism generally, but for some history stuff pertaining to my own family.

My Dad is soon to marry his third wife. The first two were in the temple, so I have a sister mom. And, now, maybe a third? Does anyone know if that can be done? I think my Dad is looking in to whether that is possible or not. Oh!....

But, as I traveled along the autobahn from Dresden to Munich last week, guess what came up on the radio? You guessed it: Tal Bachman.

I kind of embellished, just a tad, my association with Tal for the entertainment of the others in the car. (I don't know him at all, actually. But, I have posted on the same board as Tal). :)

The woman riding shotgun loved his song. The driver, a guy from Leipzig, made some joke about 'one-hit wonders.'

Gas is up to 1,45 a liter. Yikes. I don't drive. I go everywhere by 'mitfahrer.'

Well, any good stuff there to talk about.

How about favorite internet radio stations? Mine is [url]radioparadise.com[/url]

Latest album I can't stop listening to, over and over and over again: Tom Waits, The Heart of Saturday Night

Most favorite novel in a long time: It is a toss up, both by the same author: Murakami, Kafka on the Shore and The Wind-up Bird Chronicles

Latest great find: The Firefly Series (the first year---and the only year)

Can't decide where to go for vacation in 'Sept-Oct: Bangkok, Thailand (been there probably ten times, but I never tire of it, and it is cheap); SLC, Utah (to see new and old friends, and family, if they will see me); Sofia, Bulgaria (I have lots of students from there. There should still be a lot of wild places to go backpacking, so they say.)

Any ideas?

OK. Any comments?
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Sister moms. LOL

Go gramps go! Post post post! If you can tear yourself away from that cunni Alemmani for a few moments I know you'll fulfill your destiny. 1000 posts is near. Go forth and prosper old man!

You should have said you were Tal's cousin, I hear Germans are really naïve about such things.

Litres are gay. Quote prices in gallons or not at all.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

gramps wrote:Gas is up to 1,45 a liter.

1,45 of what? Euro?
We - read: my wife, her two womanfriend, and me (the sherpah/driver) - will go to Freiberg at 08.08.09.
Should I fill two 20 litre can before we reach G?

Bond...James Bond wrote:Litres are gay. Quote prices in gallons or not at all.

Is gallon is something speshul US thing, as "billion" is?
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

ludwigm wrote:
gramps wrote:Gas is up to 1,45 a liter.

1,45 of what? Euro?
We - read: my wife, her two womanfriend, and me (the sherpah/driver) - will go to Freiberg at 08.08.09.
Should I fill two 20 litre can before we reach G?

Bond...James Bond wrote:Litres are gay. Quote prices in gallons or not at all.

Is gallon is something speshul US thing, as "billion" is?

Hi Ludwig! Yes, that is one euro and 45 cents. Yes, get as much before you come in.

'08 or '09?
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

gramps wrote:...
'08 or '09?

Dating convention ... eh ?
2008.08.09 Samstag.

The landlord may guess "that old feller in every year with that three women ..." .
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

ludwigm wrote:
gramps wrote:...
'08 or '09?

Dating convention ... eh ?
2008.08.09 Samstag.

The landlord may guess "that old feller in every year with that three women ..." .

Where are you staying? or are you staying in town?
Adrian Beverland
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Re: Okay Bond! You win.

Post by _silentkid »

gramps wrote:Well, Bond suggested I somehow find the energy to post up to that special 1,000 post level.

It seems very far off. ;)

You'll get there, gramps. We'll have a big party when you do.

gramps wrote:Latest album I can't stop listening to, over and over and over again: Tom Waits, The Heart of Saturday Night

I love Tom Waits. I'm a big fan of Mule Variations. I've been listening to Elbow's The Seldom Seen Kid a lot during the past few weeks.

gramps wrote:Most favorite novel in a long time: It is a toss up, both by the same author: Murakami, Kafka on the Shore and The Wind-up Bird Chronicles

I haven't read any Murakami. Which would you recommend starting with? My favorite author right now is George Saunders. He writes short stories. If you can find Civilwarland in Bad Decline, check it out. Pretty funny stuff.

gramps wrote:Can't decide where to go for vacation in 'Sept-Oct: Bangkok, Thailand (been there probably ten times, but I never tire of it, and it is cheap); SLC, Utah (to see new and old friends, and family, if they will see me); Sofia, Bulgaria (I have lots of students from there. There should still be a lot of wild places to go backpacking, so they say.)

Any ideas?

I'm going to try to get to Estonia to visit a friend sometime this fall. I just got back from a trip to New Orleans. That place is pretty great. I spent some time in the French Quarter, stumbling along Bourbon St. I can't believe how hot and humid it is down there this time of year. As for your travel plans, Bulgaria sounds pretty cool.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

Bond...James Bond wrote:Litres are gay.

Unless it's a "liter of cola". Name that movie, Bond.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

silentkid wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:Litres are gay.

Unless it's a "liter of cola". Name that movie, Bond.

Super Troopers.

http://zackc.wordpress.com/2008/07/06/s ... -beerfest/
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_gramps
_Emeritus

Re: Okay Bond! You win.

Post by _gramps »

silentkid wrote:
gramps wrote:Well, Bond suggested I somehow find the energy to post up to that special 1,000 post level.

It seems very far off. ;)

You'll get there, gramps. We'll have a big party when you do.

gramps wrote:Latest album I can't stop listening to, over and over and over again: Tom Waits, The Heart of Saturday Night

I love Tom Waits. I'm a big fan of Mule Variations. I've been listening to Elbow's The Seldom Seen Kid a lot during the past few weeks.

gramps wrote:Most favorite novel in a long time: It is a toss up, both by the same author: Murakami, Kafka on the Shore and The Wind-up Bird Chronicles

I haven't read any Murakami. Which would you recommend starting with? My favorite author right now is George Saunders. He writes short stories. If you can find Civilwarland in Bad Decline, check it out. Pretty funny stuff.

gramps wrote:Can't decide where to go for vacation in 'Sept-Oct: Bangkok, Thailand (been there probably ten times, but I never tire of it, and it is cheap); SLC, Utah (to see new and old friends, and family, if they will see me); Sofia, Bulgaria (I have lots of students from there. There should still be a lot of wild places to go backpacking, so they say.)

Any ideas?

I'm going to try to get to Estonia to visit a friend sometime this fall. I just got back from a trip to New Orleans. That place is pretty great. I spent some time in the French Quarter, stumbling along Bourbon St. I can't believe how hot and humid it is down there this time of year. As for your travel plans, Bulgaria sounds pretty cool.

Hey man! Thanks for joining in. :)

I love Mule Variations, as well. I will check out Elbow. I have no idea who they are. I'll let you know what I think.

As to Murakami, you would love either one, if you were to love Murakami, at all. Try the wind-up bird chronicle. ;)

Yeah, Bulgaria sounds kind of fun. Last year was Greece and Czech. Time to do the east.

Hey, what about movies? Seen any good ones?

I really liked the 'Before The Devil Knows You're Dead.' Serenity was good.

p.s. I've never been to New Orleans. I am dying to go, though. It would have been fun to do some stumbling through the town with you. :)
Adrian Beverland