Anti-boredom ideas?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Anti-boredom ideas?

Post by _Sam Harris »

I'm home on "modified bedrest" (WTF) until I deliver, and I probably won't be going back to work after I do because I have to have my head looked at afterwards. I'm hoping they'll finally stop pussying around and do some nice exploratory surgery and get these damn clots out of my head. I know I'll be busy once little one gets here, but meanwhile I'm about to lose my mind. Too much on it.

Any moms here who had to do the bedrest thing? How long? How did you cope?

Book ideas? I got an old video game system, I shouldn't have sold the one I had, that kept me busy for a while. I want to go back to school, but my body doesn't like the idea of patterns and schedules right now, so such a commitment is out. I'm not too fond of Sci-Fi, though Steve is kind of getting me addicted to Stargate (we watch all the reruns when he gets home), so if there are any books on that (I don't really watch TV), if someone knows, can you let me know?

Craft ideas? Cool gaming websites? Something?

I'm not allowed to exercise, and I can't go for walks by myself, so everything is pretty much stay indoors unless I know I can get out without too much fuss. What would you do if confined to keep the boredom (and other mental disturbia) away?
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Re: Anti-boredom ideas?

Post by _MsJack »

I never had to do the bedrest thing, and I worked until like two days before I had the baby, but I sure did rest all I could. I pretty much commandeered my husband's laptop for the last trimester of my pregnancy and if I wasn't getting up to work, I was laying in bed. So, a laptop is a must, and if you can get a cooling table for it, it will save you positioning and overheating troubles while you're laying in bed.

If you like to watch TV and don't mind being a little bit of a pirate, a great web site is SurftheChannel.com, which deals all in streams and not downloads. They have all of the episodes of some series (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Alias, Dexter, etc.) and quite a few seasons for some other great series (like Angel, Two and a Half Men). They have tons of movies, though the ones currently in theater tend to be of the guy-brought-a-camera-to-the-movie-theater quality. But the ones that are out on DVD are almost always high quality. If a friend has ever recommended a movie or tv series to you, but you couldn't get ahold of the DVDs, you can do some good catching up there.

As far as video games go, I was a World of Warcraft player, which costs $15 a month but provides pretty much never-ending entertainment. If a subscription game isn't your thing, another web site I loved was CoolROM. You can download ROMs of almost any old game system and play them on your computer.

Books -- If you have not read Jenny McCarthy's books Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth About Pregnancy and Childbirth and Baby Laughs: The Naked Truth About the First Year of Mommyhood, they are crude but hilarious. I didn't care for her third one and I haven't read the fourth one about battling her child's autism diagnosis, but the first two were some of the funniest things I ever read, and strangely more helpful than a lot of the more formal books on pregnancy.

That's about all I got, good luck to you.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Thanks for the ideas, Jack Meyers. We'll be getting internet at home soon (I usually go to the library which is only about a mile from the house), so it'll be cool to watch some movies and stuff from the house. I'll definitely take a look at McCarthy's books. I really feel like that dude from Alien who had that creature pop out of his stomach when little one turns. It's interesting, to say the least. :-)
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Homer: I'm bored.
Marge: Why don't you read a book?
Homer: Because I'm trying to reduce my boredom.

Seriously, I recommend getting Play-doh. Hours and hours of fun.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Nehor, is that new avatar a photoshopped picture of Dr. Peterson in a jet with a bucket of KFC?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

moksha wrote:Nehor, is that new avatar a photoshopped picture of Dr. Peterson in a jet with a bucket of KFC?

No, that's me photoshopped in a starfighter with KFC if I was very overweight, had different hair color, a different facial structure, and decided to die attacking the first Death Star.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Bored, Sam? 'K, but I warn you...this is uplifting, inspiring and addictive.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=pursebuzz

Just watch one. See you in a week or so.

:-D
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Crafts? Sure, try this, it's super easy, inexpensive and fun:

http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6818
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:Bored, Sam? 'K, but I warn you...this is uplifting, inspiring and addictive.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=pursebuzz

Just watch one. See you in a week or so.

:-D

Here's a little Stila to go with your pursebuzz videos.

http://www.stilacosmetics.com/

There are video tutorial's on that site. Just grab your makeup bag, mirror and enjoy!
Chinese Proverb
_JonasS
_Emeritus

Post by _JonasS »

the nehor wrote:Seriously, I recommend getting Play-doh. Hours and hours of fun.

Mwahaha. The last time I had "fun" with play doh, I almost lost a friend. He never let me in his car again. Hehe. Erm, Yeah... I kinda hihmm... Put it all over his windows, he apparently couldn't see out of them for a while.
"HOW DARE YOU KEEP US WAITING!!!!! I demand you post right this very instant or I'll... I'll... I'll hold my breath until I slump over and bang my head against the keyboard resulting in me posting something along the lines of "SR Wphgohbrfg76hou7wbn.xdf87e4iubnaelghe45auhnea4iunh eb9uih t4e9h eibn z"! "-- Angus McAwesome (Jul 21/08 11:51 pm)