Silentkid's Video Game Thread

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Re: Silentkid's Video Game Thread

Post by _silentkid »

asbestosman wrote:However, I'm really interested in Project Natal and I've also seen and heard great things about Shadow Complex which was mentioned here too. Besides, I can already visit some of them and play Wii there which is kind of more fun since heckling is easier in person.

Shadow Complex is great. If you understand and enjoy Card's mythology, it would be that much better. I think they're planning on sequels. I don't own a Wii, but my brother does, and I play it with him and his kids when I visit. We've had a lot of fun with the Link Crossbow game. My parents even play that one. I've been playing my Xbox more than my PS3 the last few weeks, but I go back and forth. It really depends on the game I'm playing.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

asbestosman wrote:
The Nehor wrote:Wii has the downloadable sequel to FFIV, quite possibly my favorite RPG of all time.

Heretic! FFVI rules all because nothing can beat the music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison.

You poor deluded fool. The story in FF4 tops 6 completely.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

And the winner is.........

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Gazelam wrote:And the winner is.........

No.....sorry, no.

Final Fantasy VII was a breakthrough in terms of graphics, engine, and system but the game is not one of the greats. It also led to VIII.....which should never be spoken of again.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

The Nehor wrote:You poor deluded fool. The story in FF4 tops 6 completely.

The breadth of character development, humor, one-liners, and abilities in FF6 conquers 4. Yet I am salivating over FF4: The After Years.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

asbestosman wrote:
The Nehor wrote:You poor deluded fool. The story in FF4 tops 6 completely.

The breadth of character development, humor, one-liners, and abilities in FF6 conquers 4. Yet I am salivating over FF4: The After Years.

I disagree. I think that FF6 homogenized characters far too much. Before that you had a wide variety of character classes that did different things with different abilities. 6 changed the formula to where everyone could use magic, summon, etc. I think it was a step back that was not rectified until 9.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

The Nehor wrote:I think that FF6 homogenized characters far too much. Before that you had a wide variety of character classes that did different things with different abilities. 6 changed the formula to where everyone could use magic, summon, etc. I think it was a step back that was not rectified until 9.

I grant that the espers were a disappointment as far as giving everyone magic and summoning. However, not everyone could use tools, dance, imitate creatures, blitz, morph, sketch, or gamble. Furthermore, while the battle characteristics were merged, the personalities were distinct and strong--something which especially comes forth as you choose who is in the party adding to replayability of the game through slightly different takes on the story. FF4 is like Satan's plan--it doesn't give you a choice about who's together in battle and who's sitting out for a round. On top of that, 4 has fewer opportunities for optional quests.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

asbestosman wrote:I grant that the espers were a disappointment as far as giving everyone magic and summoning. However, not everyone could use tools, dance, imitate creatures, blitz, morph, sketch, or gamble. Furthermore, while the battle characteristics were merged, the personalities were distinct and strong--something which especially comes forth as you choose who is in the party adding to replayability of the game through slightly different takes on the story. FF4 is like Satan's plan--it doesn't give you a choice about who's together in battle and who's sitting out for a round. On top of that, 4 has fewer opportunities for optional quests.

I liked 4's switching the party out and in a lot. Then, I could never understand why when I have 8 characters traveling with me only a limited number would fight with me. I liked that I had to switch between weak and strong parties that focused on magic or physical attacks.

On top of that, I found the story superior.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

I have discovered the best game ever. It's on Xbox Live Arcade and it's called Trials HD. Remember ExciteBike for the Nintendo? This game is kind of like that, but way better. You ride a motorcycle across a 2D track in a 3D world. Get from the start to the finish in the fastest time possible. But these tracks aren't easy. Some require supreme skill to climb steep ramps or dexterity to balance your bike at the edge of huge drops. Fall in the wrong place and you may hit a bomb or some dynamite that will explode and send your rider flying across the level to his death. The levels are physics-based, which means that the rider and the objects react to physics in a realistic manner. My favorite part of the entire game, though, is that you can build your own tracks from scratch. Just like ExciteBike. It takes a little while to get used to the building controls, but once you get the hang of it, you can build some awesome stuff. I spent about 10 hours (over a few days) creating a track. I uploaded it to Xbox Live so my friends could play it too. If you have an Xbox and you don't have this game, get it. If you want to try out my track, my gamertag is JSwiv.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

It's Modern Warfare 2 everywhere, all the time. I'm blown away. This is a great game. I won't be playing much else for a while.