Palin's Speech: What do you think?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Tarski wrote:By the way, this is my second attempt at an answer. It's much shorter. The first one detailed responses about Palin, Muthee, witches and Todd and AIP. It was so long that when I went to post it I had been logged out. It was all lost.

[MODERATOR NOTE: Whenever I know that I'm about to type up a long post, I do so in Microsoft Notepad, then copy-and-paste it into the post itself. This way, all my work isn't lost in case I'm logged out due to inactivity. I strongly recommend getting into that habit. (Heck, you can even save the Notepad document for later posting if you wish.)

If nothing else, if you spend a lot of time on a post, I recommend selecting and then copying your text before hitting the "Submit" button. That way, in case you've been logged out, you can always paste it back in after you log in again.

Just a little tip I learned the hard way long ago.]
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_beastie
_Emeritus

Re: Palin's Speech: What do you think?

Post by _beastie »

Uh. No.

The problem is how people react to poverty. And you're going to have a hard time convincing people, who don't have their heads completely up their own asses, that certain demographics, indeed, react to poverty differently than others. Unless, of course, you continue to make excuses for them, that they're being held back, kept down, discriminated against, etc...

The facts, do not lie. There are opportunities for ANYONE in this country to get out from underneath their own circumstances. But they have to do it. They have to care about themselves. You can't always shift the burden and the blame to others when the problems that are being addressed are cultural, and not economic.

Money isn't the problem. It's the mindset. And you're going to have a hard time changing the mindset by throwing more money at it.

Have you spent any time trying to help a child from an illiterate, poor household learn to read? I've been doing it for 25 years. I can assure you that a positive mindset is no magic bullet. The problems caused by being raised in an illiterate household are real, not imaginary ones that they're being "talked into" somehow.

Once again, studies show that reading difficulties are correlated to economic status, not race or culture.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com