Tune in next week and watch her get sassy with Pakistan!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Re: Tune in next week and watch her get sassy with Pakistan!

Post by _dartagnan »

Because I think you're a smart guy and you care about facts, here is what he actually said:

You are pulling out a subsequent statement. I am referring to his initial statement that didn't qualify it with "probably." Here is what he said July 30, 2008:

There are things that you can do individually though to save energy. Making sure your tires are properly inflated, simple thing, but we could save all the oil that they're talking about getting off drilling, if everybody was just inflating their tires and getting regular tune-ups. You could actually save just as much.

Now defenders of Obama start breaking out their calculators while figuring in off shore drilling alone. But that isn't what Obama said. He didn't say only off shore drilling. He said, "all the oil that they're talking about getting off drilling," which would include what the republicans have been discussing, including the oil we would receive from off shore drilling, but more importantly, ANWR as well as Colorado Shale.

From -http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives2/2008/07/021122.php
Barack Obama is a lot like Sean Penn or George Clooney. If you give him a script, he can deliver it pretty well. But if he tries to talk without a script that has been written for him by others, he quickly reveals that he is poorly-informed if not downright ignorant. Today he delivered another classic, by claiming that if only we would all properly inflate our tires, we could save as much gasoline as "all the oil that they're talking about getting off drilling." Seriously:

[video clip]

The stunned silence with which the crowd greets this howler suggests that most Americans have a more practical understanding of energy consumption than Obama.

Just for fun, I did the math. Properly inflating your tires can improve gas mileage by 3%. Of course, many people already keep their tires properly inflated, and many more are at least close to being properly inflated. Let's be generous and assume that one-half of the total possible savings would be realized if we all inflated our tires properly; that's a net gain of 1.5% fuel efficiency.

Americans drive approximately 2,880 billion miles per year. If we average 24 mpg, we use around 120 billion gallons of gasoline in our vehicles. If, through perfect tire inflation, we improved our collective fuel efficiency by 1.5%, that would be 1.8 billion gallons. A barrel of oil produces around 20 gallons of gasoline, so the total savings available through tire inflation is approximately 90,000,000 barrels of oil annually.

How does this stack up against "all the oil that they're talking about getting off drilling?"

ANWR: 10 billion barrels
Outer Continental Shelf: 18 billion barrels (estimated; the actual total is undoubtedly much higher, since exploration has been banned)
Oil shale: 1 trillion barrels
So, on the above assumptions, it would take only 11,308 years of proper tire inflation to equal "all the oil that they're talking about getting off drilling."

Obama is a curious case. He gives the impression of being an intelligent guy, but through his unscripted comments we have learned that he knows little about history, science or mathematics. He also seems rather shockingly short on common sense, as this most recent gaffe illustrates.

UPDATE: I dissected Time's futile effort to rehabilitate Obama here: http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives2/ ... 021171.php

Now you say,
His energy plan is not tire inflation. That was a response to a question he was asked, about
what we can do. It is a smart and practical suggestion, and would save a lot of gas.

I never said it wasn't a smart suggestion, nor did I deny it would save on gas. What I dispute is his ridiculous claim that it would save "all the oil that they're talking about getting off drilling." For soemone running for President, he isn't even familiar with the current debate on drilling.
The Los Angeles Times is not an atheist blog. Neither is the Washington Post, or anything else that I read consistently.

All of the above are much friendlier to atheists agendas than they are religious ones.
Well, let me know when you know for sure. I’m sure I would reject a lot of things you “think” are “unlikely” outright.

Well I already started a thread that proved her alleged statement about Dinosaurs being 4,000 years old is a lie fabricated by a democrat blogger. It would help if you guys would actually reference your claims about her positions, instead of just relaying ill informed blogging.
So it is true, Obama is more educated than she is.

Formerly educated I suppose. But Obama has illustrated why he is really a mdeicore mind, even in the field of his alleged expertise, such as constitutional law. Check out Richard's hilarious expose of his "knowledge" in that area.
See my first comment. Her education doesn’t exactly qualify her for the job of President of the United States, sorry.

You pretend that there is a standard somewhere etched in stone that says a US President has to have a certain set of educational credentials. I guess you didn't know Harry S. Truman never went to college? And that Palin has as much an education as Ronald Reagan. Lyndon B. Johnson repaired elevators before enrolling at a teacher's college, at Southwest Texas State. He dropped out for a year before finally returning to finish. President Harding went to a minor school, Ohio Central College, with no graduate studies involved. Theodore Roosevelt dropped out of Law school, etc.

And keep in mind, these were PResidents, whereas Palin is running for VP.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein