Palin: "Task from God"?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Palin: "Task from God"?

Post by _dartagnan »

GIBSON: You said recently in your old church, “Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God.”

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

PALIN: Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right, also for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GIBSON: Are we fighting a Holy War?

PALIN: That’s a repeat of Abraham Lincoln’s words, when he said, first he suggested, never presume to know what God’s will is, and I would never presume to know God’s will or to speak god’s words, but what Abraham Lincoln had said, and that’s a repeat in my comments, was, let us not pray that God is on our side, in a war, or any other time. But let us pray that we are on God’s side. That’s what that comment was all about, Charlie.

Today is the day that I send my first born, my son, my teenage son, oversees with his Stryker brigade. Four thousand other wonderful American men and women to fight for our country, to fight for our freedoms.

GIBSON: But you went on and said, “There is a plan, and it is God’s plan.”

PALIN: I believe that there is a plan for this world, and that plan, for this world, is for good. I believe that there is great hope and great potential for every country, to be able to live and be protected within inalienable rights, that I believe are God-given, Charlie. And I believe those are the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

That in my worldview is the grand plan.

GIBSON: Then, are you sending your son on a task from God?

PALIN: I don’t know if the task is from God, Charlie. What I know is that my son has made a decision. I am so proud of his independent and strong decision. What he decided to do, in serving for the right reasons in serving something greater than self, and not choosing a real easy path, where he could be more comfortable and certainly safer.

That should put to rest any atheistic whining over any possible marriage between Palin's religious and political agendas.

But somehow I doubt it will.

Palin was beautiful in this response.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Re: Palin: "Task from God"?

Post by _richardMdBorn »

Hi Kevin,

Note this distortion by Gibson:
Charles Gibson Gets It Wrong
John Podhoretz - 09.11.2008 - 6:38 PM

ABC has released excerpts from Charlie Gibson’s interview with Sarah Palin, and in one of them, he attempts to catch her out by asking her to explain something she said:

GIBSON: You said recently, in your old church, “Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God.” Are we fighting a holy war?

PALIN: You know, I don’t know if that was my exact quote.

GIBSON: Exact words.

In fact, it was not the exact quote; and the way Gibson quoted her is a complete misrepresentation of what she said. It may, indeed, be close to the opposite of what she said. This is the actual quote, and it’s from an article in a Palin-unfriendly source, The Huffington Post:

“Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [U.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God,” she exhorted the congregants. “That’s what we have to make sure that we’re praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God’s plan.”

She was asking the congregation to “pray…that our leaders…are sending [soldiers] out on a task that is from God.”

She was precisely not declaring that the task was from God. She specifically said the church’s congregants should pray “that that plan is God’s plan.” There would be no need for such a prayer if it were a fact to her and to them.

Palin quickly followed up with Gibson by saying, “the reference there is a repeat of Abraham Lincoln’s words when he said…let us not pray that God is on our side in a war or any other time, but let us pray that we are on God’s side.”

This is the Lincoln quote to which she alluded: “Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God’s side, for God is always right.”
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs/index.php/jpodhoretz/29562
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

dartagnan wrote: That should put to rest any atheistic whining over any possible marriage between Palin's religious and political agendas.

So she has be briefed about soft pedaling her religious beliefs by the campaign staff, eh?

Palin was beautiful in this response.

Would you by any chance view her response differently if she was a Mormon and not running as part of the Republican ticket?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

Wow Richard, that is very telling right there. This guy is trying to catch her in a snare on several issues and he can't seem to do it without getting his own facts confused. Pretty ironic, but then again, typical of the liberal media.

They are discussing this on FOX news but nobody seems to have a full transcript of the actual interview in unedited form. Apparently, ABC is dishing out edited excerpts of what actually took place, and they'll give a bit more over the next three days to increase their ratings. Gingrich pointed out that what these excerpts prove is Gibson's own ignorance on certain issues, such as the NATO pact. Of course we would have to go to war if a NATO ally was attacked. Everyone at CNN agreed with this as well and said Palin hit the nail right on the head. But Gibson acted "suprised" as if to get a hesitant reaction from her, but when she responded, "Perhaps so..." I got the sense she was trying not to laugh at him for being so stupid.

I also saw how some of these liberal articles referred to Palin's response "His world view" as a question. When watching teh video clip, I didn't see her responding to the question with a question. She was asked for her interpretation of the Bush doctrine and she responded quickly, "His world view." But CBS put a question mark at the end of it to make it seem like she was unsure.

They are also discussing the roughness of Gibson who told Palin he didn't get an answer because she was giving him a "blizzard of words." Commentators on both FOX and CNN agree that this is standard protocol for politicians. They generally provide long responses to short questions. Obama does this all the flippin time. And when she was asked if she was ready to lead, she quickly responded "yes." Gibson immediately responded "Doesn't that require hubris?" and I think Palin let that condescending remark slide and continued with her response.

Again, both FOX and CNN commentators agree that she hit the ball out of teh park. I mean how was she supposed to respond to that one? "Um, well, yeah, kinda I think I might be experienced but not really..."?

So she has be briefed about soft pedaling her religious beliefs by the campaign staff, eh?

So what are you trying to say moksha, that she was lying? Is this really what you've been reduced to?
I suppose you also believe Governor Palin is the only politician in history, who has been briefed before a nationally televised interview.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

dartagnan wrote:
So she has been briefed about soft pedaling her religious beliefs by the campaign staff, eh?

So what are you trying to say moksha, that she was lying? Is this really what you've been reduced to? I suppose you also believe Governor Palin is the only politician in history, who has been briefed before a nationally televised interview.

They are all briefed and sanitized. However, I am not the one proffering the spun version as the real truth.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

Then how do you know what the truth is?

What do you think the truth is?

Get to the point.