Swinging blindly at Palin

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Swinging blindly at Palin

Post by _dartagnan »

I read this article from the Washington Post this morning and then tried to find the context of what Palin actually said. I came across this article that shows just how stupid and desperate the libs are becoming:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer ... -iraq-9-11

Washington Post's False 'Aha' on Palin, Iraq, and 9/11

I guess if the press can't find anything substantive to throw up against Sarah Palin, making stuff up will have to do.

A front-page article by the Washington Post's Anne Kornblut crows over what the reporter claims is a gaffe by GOP vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin:

FORT WAINWRIGHT, Alaska, Sept. 11 -- Gov. Sarah Palin linked the war in Iraq with the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, telling an Iraq-bound brigade of soldiers that included her son that they would "defend the innocent from the enemies who planned and carried out and rejoiced in the death of thousands of Americans."

The idea that Iraq shared responsibility with al-Qaeda for the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, once promoted by Bush administration officials, has since been rejected even by the president himself.

Kornblut must have missed the news that Saddam Hussein, who was in power in Iraq on 9/11, is not only not in power, but also quite dead -- executed by the current, totally unrelated Iraqi government. "The war in Iraq" morphed from an operation to overthrow Hussein and capture or neutralize his lieutenants to a war against an Al Qaeda insurgency at least four years ago.

Bill Kristol at the Weekly Standard blog (HT Hot Air Headlines) responded strongly just after midnight:

Kornblut’s interpretation of what Palin said is either stupid or malicious. Palin is evidently saying that American soldiers are going to Iraq to defend innocent Iraqis from al Qaeda in Iraq, a group that is related to al Qaeda, which did plan and carry out the Sept. 11 attacks. It makes no sense for Kornblut to claim that Palin is arguing here that Saddam Hussein’s regime carried out 9/11—obviously Palin isn’t saying that our soldiers are now going over to Iraq to fight Saddam’s regime. Palin isn’t linking Saddam to 9/11. She’s linking al Qaeda in Iraq to al Qaeda.

People can debate how intimate that connection is, and how much of the fight in Iraq is now against al Qaeda in Iraq--but it’s simply the case that Palin is not saying what Kornblut says she is, and that the Washington Post is, right now, leading its paper with a clear distortion of what Palin said.

Kornblut appeared to feel the need to take on a job Democrats wouldn't do yesterday:

On any other day, Palin's statement would almost certainly have drawn a sharp rebuke from Democrats, but both parties had declared a halt to partisan activities to mark Thursday's anniversary.

Nice try, Anne. No sale.

We see yet another reason why Washington Post's circulation, along with most other traditional newspapers, continues to decline.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Re: Swinging blindly at Palin

Post by _skippy the dead »

Based on all these threads, I'd say somebody has a little bit of a crush on a certain Alaskan hockey grandma-to-be.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

Hey I've had a lot of catching up to do. I've been working the past 5 days and haven't had much time to come back to this political discussion. I woke up this morning with fresh fodder from her first interview last night. I knew either beastie or EA would start launching in with the attacks if given the chance. I just thought I'd start the threads and give a basic defense beforehand.

More than anything, I'm anxious to see how EA and beastie respond to Obama's earmark for his wife's employer, which resulted in her income being nearly tripled. I mean that's worse than a hundred botched hocky rinks or superfluous bridges in rural Alaska.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_Brother of Mahonri
_Emeritus

Post by _Brother of Mahonri »

skippy the dead wrote:Based on all these threads, I'd say somebody has a little bit of a crush on a certain Alaskan hockey grandma-to-be.

Can you blame him?

She is hawt!

_Angus McAwesome
_Emeritus

Post by _Angus McAwesome »

You do know that was shopped, right?
I was afraid of the dark when I was young. "Don't be afraid, my son," my mother would always say. "The child-eating night goblins can smell fear." Bitch... - Kreepy Kat
_Brother of Mahonri
_Emeritus

Angus McAwesome wrote:You do know that was shopped, right?

OMG! That's not really her?

I hope no one whacked off to it by mistake!
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

There is nothing wrong with shooting a few rounds into the pool and then diving after them. This has been a favorite young Republican past time since 1926.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Brother of Mahonri
_Emeritus

moksha wrote:Image
There is nothing wrong with shooting a few rounds into the pool and then diving after them. This has been a favorite young Republican past time since 1926.

I never said it was wrong, I said it was HAWT!

;-)
_Angus McAwesome
_Emeritus

Post by _Angus McAwesome »

moksha wrote:Image
There is nothing wrong with shooting a few rounds into the pool and then diving after them. This has been a favorite ignorant Rednecks past time since 1926.

There, fixed it for you.
I was afraid of the dark when I was young. "Don't be afraid, my son," my mother would always say. "The child-eating night goblins can smell fear." Bitch... - Kreepy Kat