The One Genuine Fear That I have.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Ray A

The One Genuine Fear That I have.

Post by _Ray A »

That if someone were to kill, bash, kidnap or rape one of my children....

I would kill them without any hesitation.

I guess, at heart, I'm not very "Christian".
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: The One Genuine Fear That I have.

Post by _moksha »

Ray, do you view Christians as having to maintain perfect behavior even in moments such as you have envisioned?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

moksha wrote:Ray, do you view Christians as having to maintain perfect behavior even in moments such as you have envisioned?

What brought this post on, Mok, is that my eldest son could have been killed a week ago. He's also a cab driver, and owns his own cab. We are very close, and talk nightly. That closeness was enhanced by the death of his mother two and a half years ago, something which obviously still affects my children.

We are in a sometimes dangerous job, and someone hurled a beer bottle at my son's car a week ago. Fortunately it went through the back window, but had it gone through the driver's window he could have been seriously hurt or killed. That's when these emotions ran through me. In any case, that's how I felt.

It's probably not good for anyone to feel that way, Christian or not.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Ray A wrote:
moksha wrote:Ray, do you view Christians as having to maintain perfect behavior even in moments such as you have envisioned?

What brought this post on, Mok, is that my eldest son could have been killed a week ago. He's also a cab driver, and owns his own cab. We are very close, and talk nightly. That closeness was enhanced by the death of his mother two and a half years ago, something which obviously still affects my children.

We are in a sometimes dangerous job, and someone hurled a beer bottle at my son's car a week ago. Fortunately it went through the back window, but had it gone through the driver's window he could have been seriously hurt or killed. That's when these emotions ran through me. In any case, that's how I felt.

It's probably not good for anyone to feel that way, Christian or not.

It may not be good to feel that way, but I think it's perfectly natural.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that if anyone seriously (and intentionally) harmed my daughter in any way, I'd kill them. Simple as that. I don't apologize for it, either. Don't f*Celestial Kingdom with my family and we'll be fine.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Some Schmo wrote:It may not be good to feel that way, but I think it's perfectly natural.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that if anyone seriously (and intentionally) harmed my daughter in any way, I'd kill them. Simple as that. I don't apologize for it, either. Don't f*Celestial Kingdom with my family and we'll be fine.

The child-protection instinct in parents is definitely very strong. I remember one night years ago when one of my younger sons got bashed outside a nightclub. When I saw his bloody face I went beserk. Security had to hold me back, with quite a bit of effort, because if I had found the offender I hate to think what the result might have been. I searched the streets for two hours looking for him/them, and it's probably fortunate for me I didn't find them.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Ray, I feel the exact same way you do. If that is the wrong way to feel, we'll all party in the Telestial Kingdom together. ;)
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

liz3564 wrote: If that is the wrong way to feel, we'll all party in the Telestial Kingdom together. ;)

If I make even that! LOL. Failing that I'll have a beer with Lucifer at the Devil's Inn.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Its only unchristian if you eat them afterwards.

Cannibalism was going to be the 11th commandment of "Thou shalt nots..", but they were pressed for time, what with the Golden Calf and whatnot.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato