Halloween Traditions

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Re: Halloween Traditions

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

I really like Halloween.

I love creating Halloween costumes for my daughters.

They have been a picnic. It was easy. Cut cheap plastic red and white checked tablecloths in two, making squares. Cut a hole in the center of each square so that it will slip over a child's head. Hot glue ants in a little trail around the bottom of the square and winding up to the neckline. Hot clue a paper plate and plastic utensils to the front of the tablecloth. Top the costume off with the food hat of your choice. There are lots of them available online, as well as plastic ants. My girls each had their own hat: One a hot dog, one a slice of pizza, one a hamburger, and one a hunk of cheese. They were adorable (as always!)

One has been a serial killer. A sweat suit with an empty box of cereal attached to the front. Insert fake plastic knife into box, add some fake blood, and viola!

Courtney was Jailbird Martha Stewart the year Martha was in the clink. I found an inmate costume: black and white striped pants and shirt. I added sparkly black sequins to it, a corsage, and a matching black and white striped beret. We found Martha's actual inmate number online, and made a little sign to hang across Courtney's chest. "Martha Stewart 38594302" And, hanging across her back: "It's a good thing."

I found a beautiful old wedding gown at an estate sale, and we've used that to create a Bride of Frankenstein costume. I found a Judge's robe, as well, and Madeline was Judge Rudy.

They've been bunches of grapes--nothing but a purple sweat suit, attached purple balloons, and a green felt hat I made with a twisted stem created from pipe cleaners.

Anyway, making kids' costumes is so much fun!

Also, I like to start decorating for fall inside my house by Oct. 1st. It's not Halloween-ish. Just fall-like so the decor can stay up 'till Thanksgiving.

Here's my more formal dining area: (please excuse the Jim Beam and Coke on the table, lol!)

It's really easy to add a few fall colored leaves to chandeliers and stairways. Gourds and small pumpkins grouped together in baskets are nice, too, and very inexpensive.

Here's the outside of my house the day of Halloween. The decor isn't put up until that day, and is taken down early the next morning.

I usually host a Halloween party every year. For grown-ups. It's lots of fun.

I hope your Halloween celebrations are a blast this year, Jack!

KA
KA