Concrete Work (doesn't make sense to me)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Concrete Work (doesn't make sense to me)

Post by _Jersey Girl »

So, we have a "slab" of concrete that is the entry way to the back of the house. It's kind of like a deck where you step up before stepping up one more time and entering the house. It's about 4'X8'.

It's sunk down at an angle (due to settling) and is now about 3 inches below where it once laid.

Everyone (in real life, online boards, DIY websites) says that you have to crack up the concrete and repour the slab.

On some level, that doesn't make sense to me. The slab is probably 6-8 inches thick and would take ALOT of effort (plus tool rental) to crack it up.

Why can't you set up forms and repour OVER the existing slab?

Does anyone know about this?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Angus McAwesome
_Emeritus

Re: Concrete Work (doesn't make sense to me)

Post by _Angus McAwesome »

Jersey Girl wrote:So, we have a "slab" of concrete that is the entry way to the back of the house. It's kind of like a deck where you step up before stepping up one more time and entering the house. It's about 4'X8'.

It's sunk down at an angle (due to settling) and is now about 3 inches below where it once laid.

Everyone (in real life, online boards, DIY websites) says that you have to crack up the concrete and repour the slab.

On some level, that doesn't make sense to me. The slab is probably 6-8 inches thick and would take ALOT of effort (plus tool rental) to crack it up.

Well, you could do that, Jersey. Problem is, the current slab is settling probably because either water erosion is undermining it or just sheer weight is causing it to settle. In either case adding another few hundred pounds to the problem is not a solution. The reason you need to bust up the concrete is so you can relevel and pack the bed before pouring new concrete to prevent the whole thing from sinking again.

The tool rental isn't that big a problem, in fact, some of what you'll need are tools you should already have around the house, like a good sledge hammer. I'd recommend either renting or purchasing a rotary hammer (it's a basically a large drill with a bit that rotates and reciprocated to bore through concrete and rock), to drill holes in the concrete every 12", so you pake a patern of squares in the slab, then drill a hole in the center of each square. Makes busting it up go really easy. You've probably got a good idea of all the other tools you might need (and your boyfriend/hubby can look on this exercise as an excuse to purchase tools, which will make him happy because guys love tools).
I was afraid of the dark when I was young. "Don't be afraid, my son," my mother would always say. "The child-eating night goblins can smell fear." Bitch... - Kreepy Kat
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Concrete Work (doesn't make sense to me)

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Angus McAwesome wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:So, we have a "slab" of concrete that is the entry way to the back of the house. It's kind of like a deck where you step up before stepping up one more time and entering the house. It's about 4'X8'.

Well, you could do that, Jersey. Problem is, the current slab is settling probably because either water erosion is undermining it or just sheer weight is causing it to settle. In either case adding another few hundred pounds to the problem is not a solution. The reason you need to bust up the concrete is so you can relevel and pack the bed before pouring new concrete to prevent the whole thing from sinking again.

The tool rental isn't that big a problem, in fact, some of what you'll need are tools you should already have around the house, like a good sledge hammer. I'd recommend either renting or purchasing a rotary hammer (it's a basically a large drill with a bit that rotates and reciprocated to bore through concrete and rock), to drill holes in the concrete every 12", so you pake a patern of squares in the slab, then drill a hole in the center of each square. Makes busting it up go really easy. You've probably got a good idea of all the other tools you might need (and your boyfriend/hubby can look on this exercise as an excuse to purchase tools, which will make him happy because guys love tools).

Thanks, Angus! If you were us (me, boyfriend and hubby:-) would you crack it out of there and just replace it with a cedar deck or something?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb