Commiefornia is denying an African American the right to run for governor

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Commiefornia is denying an African American the right to run for governor

Post by canpakes »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:25 pm
canpakes wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:59 pm

‘Racism’ is literally baked into human DNA, as a component of survival.

What you decide to do with your racism is what actually matters.
So everyone is racist, not just white people?
Everyone. No exceptions.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:51 pm
canpakes wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:59 pm

‘Racism’ is literally baked into human DNA, as a component of survival.

What you decide to do with your racism is what actually matters.
That’s right. Exactly. We are born racist and if we repent and get better then we can wash away our racism. The best way to wash away our racism is to vote correctly. And voting for Trump is not right. It is your DNA racism that is more powerful than your common sense. Voting for Hillary or Biden is like the racism vaccine.
Hey, whatever floats your boat. : D
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:08 pm
But racists vote for Trump.
Whatever floats your boat. : D
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:08 pm
canpakes wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:53 pm

Hey, whatever floats your boat. : D

I am in your boat for this one, buddy. Everyone is born racist. Everyone. You can have the credit for that one. I just compared the redemption of baptism and getting the holy ghost to the redemption of voting not for Trump. One day you’re racist, then you’re not. One day a sinner, then you’re not. But racists vote for Trump.
So everyone is racist? Meaning, everyone who voted for Trump including the people who don't wear maga hats are racist. Also, since everyone is racist, Biden voters are racist also. If everyone is racist does that mean we're born racist? If so are black people just as racist as white people or are there levels of racism? Who determines who's more racist?
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:03 pm
So everyone is racist? Meaning, everyone who voted for Trump including the people who don't wear maga hats are racist. Also, since everyone is racist, Biden voters are racist also. If everyone is racist does that mean we're born racist? If so are black people just as racist as white people or are there levels of racism? Who determines who's more racist?
FYI, Cultellus is a right-winger doing a shtick.

That being said, the term "racist" doesn't really fit at all, in my opinion, to what we are inherently born with. Something more along the lines of racial prototypicality affinity would probably be the most accurate way of putting it. Even that though isn't necessarily inherent in the race someone is, but instead the race of those they are surrounded by. It also isn't completely boiled down to only race. Funny anecdote; after I grew my ZZ-Top beard, and stopped closely resembling my siblings (or most people, for that matter), each of my nieces and nephews that have been born since have taken a while to warm up to me. One niece would cry whenever I made eye contact, until she was almost 1 1/2.

That quasi-hardwired affinity to feature familiarity can manifest later as biases formed by stereotypes, though. There've been some really interesting sociological and psychological studies on police officers in weapon identification and shoot-don't-shoot scenarios. Black officers are generally prone to the same subconscious bias that results in misidentification of benign objects (like a wallet or phone) vs. lethal objects (like a gun or knife) that white officers are when introducing racial prototypicality into the identification scenarios.

I think it's incredible that we can be such instinct-driven animals (often much to our detriment) while simultaneously continually evaluating and growing as individuals and a society to identify and overcome those base "natural man" instincts.

Humans can suck, but we are also really damned groovy.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:25 pm
(T)he term "racist" doesn't really fit at all, in my opinion, to what we are inherently born with. Something more along the lines of racial prototypicality affinity would probably be the most accurate way of putting it. Even that though isn't necessarily inherent in the race someone is, but instead the race of those they are surrounded by. It also isn't completely boiled down to only race. Funny anecdote; after I grew my ZZ-Top beard, and stopped closely resembling my siblings (or most people, for that matter), each of my nieces and nephews that have been born since have taken a while to warm up to me. One niece would cry whenever I made eye contact, until she was almost 1 1/2.

That quasi-hardwired affinity to feature familiarity can manifest later as biases formed by stereotypes, though. There've been some really interesting sociological and psychological studies on police officers in weapon identification and shoot-don't-shoot scenarios. Black officers are generally prone to the same subconscious bias that results in misidentification of benign objects (like a wallet or phone) vs. lethal objects (like a gun or knife) that white officers are when introducing racial prototypicality into the identification scenarios.

I think it's incredible that we can be such instinct-driven animals (often much to our detriment) while simultaneously continually evaluating and growing as individuals and a society to identify and overcome those base "natural man" instincts.

Humans can suck, but we are also really damned groovy.
This is a great explanation, and I thank you for being patient enough to type it out to that level of detail (… and also why I put the word racism inside quote marks, lol).
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:50 pm
This is a great explanation, and I thank you for being patient enough to type it out to that level of detail (… and also why I put the word racism inside quote marks, lol).
*squeezy-hugs* all around.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor Steuss,
thanks for projecting some thought into this non discussion. Good comments about race

"Commiefornia", a silly name.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
I have just made the assumption of AtlanticMike having a sockpuppet. Sort of an active guardian of the Brittany avatar.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:52 am
Doctor Steuss wrote:
I have just made the assumption of AtlanticMike having a sockpuppet. Sort of an active guardian of the Brittany avatar.
I have lots of socks, none are puppets. Even though I find Brittany attractive, I would never use her as an Avatar. There's only one woman in my life that's pretty enough to be an Avatar, that's my wife, she's hooooot!! But if you want to think I'm cultellus go right ahead my overly plump penguin, won't bother me.