Wireless headphones for TV (How do they work?)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Wireless headphones for TV (How do they work?)

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I'm looking for a wireless headphone set for the WS TV that would allow the user to hear the TV while the rest of the world would not be able to hear the TV.

I've googled and see some, but I don't know how they work.

How do they pickup the sound on the TV if they're wireless?

Does anyone own these and if so, what kind and how do you like them?

Thanks.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Wireless headphones for TV (How do they work?)

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Clarifying. I don't mean a listening device that amplifies the sound for the hearing impaired.

I mean a set where one person can hear the TV using them and the rest of the house is quiet.

Blessedly quiet.

Blissfully quiet.
Chinese Proverb
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

There's a transmitter that's plugged into the audio output of your television or receiver (whichever you use for your audio). The sound is then transmitted from there to the headphones. My father in law has a rather standard set that is connected to the output of his TV, and recharges in a special stand when not in use.

I got my husband a pair with all the bells and whistles (such as full surround sound capability, etc.) that he can use when he plays the PS3 at night or when the kids are sleeping, and he wants to crank the sound (and not disturb the kids). I've used them a couple times, and they're pretty damn impressive (and are priced accordingly). I don't think the headset is rechargeable.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

OH MY GOSH!!! They stolded my idea. :( hahaha. LMAO. hmmm.... Maybe I should sell or give away the rest of my idea, I've been hanging onto it for so long. They probably wirk by bluetooth or infrared, that's my guess. but could be like a wireless router kinda idea.

P.s. I am just kinda bobbing in coz I miss ya all, but my course is REEEEAAAALLLLLYYYY hard, so not wanting to spend too much time around these parts.

Take care peeps.
Just punched myself on the face...
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

skippy the dead wrote:There's a transmitter that's plugged into the audio output of your television or receiver (whichever you use for your audio). The sound is then transmitted from there to the headphones. My father in law has a rather standard set that is connected to the output of his TV, and recharges in a special stand when not in use.

I got my husband a pair with all the bells and whistles (such as full surround sound capability, etc.) that he can use when he plays the PS3 at night or when the kids are sleeping, and he wants to crank the sound (and not disturb the kids). I've used them a couple times, and they're pretty damn impressive (and are priced accordingly). I don't think the headset is rechargeable.

Hey skippy,

Thanks for the information! Could you possibly post or even PM links to the two types of head sets that you described? I like the idea of late nighters being able to use them while the rest of the house remains blessedly silent! :-)
Chinese Proverb
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

Jersey Girl wrote:Hey skippy,

Thanks for the information! Could you possibly post or even PM links to the two types of head sets that you described? I like the idea of late nighters being able to use them while the rest of the house remains blessedly silent! :-)

Here's the ones I got for my husband:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XL43M

Kinda expensive, but they may actually sound better than our surround sound speakers in the family room. I believe that they're probably one of the best on the market. I highly recommend them if you've got the green.

My father in law is a bit hard of hearing, so he didn't really need anything that good - it's not like he's going to catch all the upper ranges. He mainly needed them so he could turn the sound up real loud without disturbing my mother in law. He just bought some off of eBay - I'm not sure what brand they are. His main criteria was having the headphones be recharged on the base when not in use, I think.

Hope this helps.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Yanno....I think I can do that! Thanks, skippy!
Chinese Proverb
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

skippy the dead wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Hey skippy,

Here's the ones I got for my husband:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XL43M

Kinda expensive, but they may actually sound better than our surround sound speakers in the family room. I believe that they're probably one of the best on the market. I highly recommend them if you've got the green.

My father in law is a bit hard of hearing, so he didn't really need anything that good - it's not like he's going to catch all the upper ranges. He mainly needed them so he could turn the sound up real loud without disturbing my mother in law. He just bought some off of eBay - I'm not sure what brand they are. His main criteria was having the headphones be recharged on the base when not in use, I think.

Hope this helps.

I got several sets here in Toronto for my wife, son, nieces & nephew - $10 a pop on special. Quality is OK for TV, but I don't know if an audiophile would be happy with them. The headphones even have a built-in FM radio. http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/product_spec.php?pcode=PO0007
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."