Why John McCain will win the election

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Why John McCain will win the election

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Apparently it doesn't matter whom we vote for; McCain will win anyway.

See:

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0225-05.htm

Some highlights, all emphases mine:

Bob Urosevich was the Programmer and CEO at AIS, before being replaced by Hagel. Bob now heads Diebold Election Systems and his brother Todd is a top executive at ES&S. Bob created Diebold’s original electronic voting machine software. Thus, the brothers Urosevich, originally funded by the far Right, figure in the counting of approximately 80% of electronic voting in the United States.

Like Ohio, the State of Maryland was disturbed by the potential for massive electronic voter fraud. The voters of that state were reassured when the state hired SAIC to monitor Diebold’s system. SAIC’s former CEO is Admiral Bill Owens. Owens served as a military aide to both Vice President Dick Cheney and former Defense Secretary Frank Carlucci, who now works with George H.W. Bush at the controversial Carlyle Group. Robert Gates, former CIA Director and close friend of the Bush family, also served on the SAIC Board.

And:

Wherever Diebold and ES&S go, irregularities and historic Republican upsets follow. Alastair Thompson, writing for scoop.co of New Zealand, explored whether or not the 2002 U.S. mid-term elections were “fixed by electronic voting machines supplied by Republican-affiliated companies.” The scoop investigation concluded that: “The state where the biggest upset occurred, Georgia, is also the state that ran its election with the most electronic voting machines.” Those machines were supplied by Diebold.

Perhaps most intriguing:

As Blackwell pressures the Ohio legislature to adopt electronic voting machines without a paper trail, Athan Gibbs wonders, “Why would you buy a voting machine from a company like Diebold which provides a paper trail for every single machine it makes except its voting machines? And then, when you ask it to verify its numbers, it hides behind ‘trade secrets.’”

Maybe the Diebold decision makes sense, if you believe, to paraphrase Henry Kissinger, that democracy is too important to leave up to the votes of the people.

As for me, I can't verify this, but I heard rumors that according to the exit polls, which (if I have my facts right) historically aren't too far off the mark, John Kerry won by a landslide in 2004. But, thanks to electronic voting, we got who the Deibold and ES&S bigwigs wanted instead.

I of course hope that I, and the other watchdogs writing articles such as the one linked above, are dead wrong about all this. But unfortunately, I'm convinced otherwise. So to all you Barack Obama supporters, guess what? John McCain will "win" this election, no matter how many people vote for Obama.

"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_SUAS
_Emeritus

Re: Why John McCain will win the election

Post by _SUAS »

Tell me something I don' know about Diebold. Have you heard of David Bear.

Too many canditates are aware of the faults with Diebold so yes Obama will win hands down.

If the state of Maryland needs to do a recount like Florida did in 2000, we will be facing the same controversy as the Sunshine State but this time there will be no paper ballots to actually count.

The controversy over the 2000 presidential election and the recount in Florida that delayed the election’s certification by more than a month inspired the Help Americans Vote Act.

This then led to Maryland being one of a few states to adopt a uniform statewide voting system, switching to direct-recording electronic (DRE) voting machines.

However, electronic voting has proved at least as controversial nationally as the punch card ballots used in Florida, because with (DRE) voting machines there will be no way for (voters) to know if their votes were recorded as they intended to cast them and there is no way to check the accuracy of the machines or do a true recount.

With the voting machines votes are recorded on a memory card that is inserted in the computer not on the actual hard drive of the computer. Memory cards will only hold the votes temporarily, so if the machines malfunction for any reason and needs to be re-booted the votes that are stored on the memory card will be lost because they have not been stored on the permanent memory of the hard drive.

Avi Rubin has written a blog about his experiences as poll worker in the 2006 election and the problems that DRE voting caused that day.
Avi Rubin's Blog: My day at the polls - Maryland primary '06

So far the State Board of Elections has spent about $241 million dollars on the Diebold voting machines that have no way to verify that your vote will be counted for the candidate you voted for.

You will be voting on blind faith that your votes will not be lost or tampered with.

Blind faith in a machine is not a good thing.

In 2006, Maryland‘s Board of Elections Administrator, Linda Lamone, was featured in a sales brochure for Diebold Elections Systems praising the company’s new ExpressPoll-5000 electronic pollbook.
In 2006 Maryland paid Diebold $18.4 million for 5,000 of the e-pollbook.

Pollbooks are a device to keep track of voter records and registration.

The ExpressPoll is a new Diebold product, separate from Diebold's voting machines, for verifying that voters are in the voter-registration database and thus eligible to vote. It's also used to encode a smartcard that voters place in a Diebold voting machine to cast their ballot.

Lamone has supported Diebold and maintaining that its touch-screen voting machines are secure and reliable. By appearing in the advertising brochure for Diebold, was Lamone doing anything illegal or unethical?

Lamone has drawn harsh criticism for endorsing the machines which were found to have a number of security vulnerabilities’ by a study commissioned by her own state.

Answer this question, why did Maryland spend another $48 million dollars on Diebold again?

References:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01480.html

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/0 ... ne_th.html

In 2006 Maryland‘s Board of Elections Administrator, Linda Lamone was featured in a sales brochure for Diebold Elections Systems praising the company’s new ExpressPoll-5000 electronic pollbook.

In 2006 Maryland paid Diebold $18.4 million for 5,000 of the e-pollbooks. Pollbooks are a device to keep track of voter records and registration.

The ExpressPoll is a new Diebold product, separate from Diebold's voting machines, for verifying that voters are in the voter-registration database and thus eligible to vote. It's also used to encode a smartcard that voters place in a Diebold voting machine to cast their ballot.

Lamone has supported Diebold and maintaining that its touch-screen voting machines are secure and reliable. By appearing in the advertising brochure for Diebold was Lamone doing anything illegal or unethical?

Lamone has drawn harsh criticism for endorsing the machines which were found to have a number of security vulnerabilities’ by a study commissioned by her own state.

Answer this question why did Maryland spend another $48 million dollars on Diebold again?

References:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01480.html

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/0 ... ne_th.html

We all expect sticker shock when we buy car, but do we expect sticker shock when we vote? Of course not! We all have the right to vote no matter what the cost but why should we to pay so much for a system that costs so much when cheaper alternatives exist?

When you go to cast your vote in the upcoming Presidential elections, I want you to have sticker shock when you use the touch-screen (Diebold, Premier Voting Systems} voting machines. The cost of the machine will not be on a sticker on the side of the machine, because you would probably faint before you could cast your vote.
Here is what you, the taxpayers, have spent so far on the voting machines.

We will have spent over $97.5 million by the time the 2008 elections are complete to purchase and operate touch-screen voting machines. This does not include the $23.3 million we still owe in capital lease costs. Furthermore, the operating costs cannot be projected into the future because the maintenance contract on the touch-screen machines expires soon after the 2008 election. If Maryland retains the equipment, the contract would have to be rebid at that time. The expenses will continue to grow because as the equipment ages it will need more frequent repairs or replacement.

The costs of our touch-screen voting system includes operating and maintenance costs which are substantial, averaging $10.7 million per year for fiscal years 2006-2008
.These costs include maintaining, repairing, storing, transporting, programming, and testing approximately 19,000 machines as well as providing training and technical support for election workers on system that requires increasingly complex and time consuming security procedures to compensate for its numerous inherent vulnerabilities.

Do you have sticker shock yet because here’s more: even if the costs remain the same as our current average, we would spend another $78.5 million in fiscal years 2010-2014.

So far we have spent $199.3 million dollars on the Diebold touch-screen voting machines.

References:
http://www.saveourvotes.org/legislation ... system.pdf
http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=23255
God has left the building and is staying at Motel 8
_SUAS
_Emeritus

Post by _SUAS »

Blackboxvoting.org

They will be watching election night and so should you.

Go to that site and volunteer to do your part.
God has left the building and is staying at Motel 8
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

That's right Shades, the Left never loses elections, they are always stolen. This is all - ALL - the Left has, tin foil hat conspiracy, fear and loathing, well poisoning and surreptitious paranoia. I've been observing it for over thirty years; its the very the same playbook, the very same attitudes, and the same hubristic sense that power and control is a birthright to the Left; that they really shouldn't be required to actually compete in the marketplace of ideas for the votes of their fellow citizens.

The Anointed are among us, and the right to rule is theirs.

I have a one way ticket to Cuba waiting for you Shades; free health care, equality of income, and high taxes (100%, in essence). You should be quite comfortable there.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Hi Droopy:

FYI, I'm not a liberal and don't plan on voting for Obama anyway.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Droopy wrote:The Anointed are among us, and the right to rule is theirs.

I see you have been following Utah politics.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Funny, in this election, it's the republicans who are already crying "voting fraud".

So I guess, a la droopy, it's the republicans who think they are the anointed ones.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

OKAY, FOLKS, FORGET WHICH PARTY THIS IS SUPPOSEDLY AFFECTING.

Swap the words "Republican" with "Democrat" and vice-versa for all I care.

Does anyone have any comment about the material linked in the opening post?

I DON'T CARE ABOUT WHICH PARTY IT WILL AFFECT. Please direct your comments toward whether this is a serious threat to our democratic process or whether I, and authors of such pieces, are merely up in the night, and why.

--Louis Midgley
_LifeOnaPlate
_Emeritus

Post by _LifeOnaPlate »

ACORN!
One moment in annihilation's waste,
one moment, of the well of life to taste-
The stars are setting and the caravan
starts for the dawn of nothing; Oh, make haste!

-Omar Khayaam

*Be on the lookout for the forthcoming album from Jiminy Finn and the Moneydiggers.*
_GoodK

Post by _GoodK »

LifeOnaPlate wrote:ACORN!

Did someone say.....

Maverick?