Racism vs Culturism and White guilt vs White peacemakers

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Re: Racism vs Culturism and White guilt vs White peacemakers

Post by _asbestosman »

Some Schmo wrote:I'll never forget something my 9th grade English teacher told us one day. He started the lesson saying, "Today, we're going to build a fail proof b***s*** detector!" (We were all amazed he actually swore in class). "Any time you hear words that are absolutes, like 'always', 'never', 'every', 'all', or 'none' in a sentence, you can write that statement off as b***s***!" In other words, generalizations are generally b***s***.

Your teacher taught you something self-contradictory. If a fail proof BS detector consists of simply looking for absolutes, then the BS detector istelf is BS because it is "fail proof".

QED
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

antishock8 wrote:I have strong opinions about Black, White, Brown, and Asian peoples. Why? Because that's a natural response to interacting with others. If we were never able to form an opinion about anything, develop stereotypes, etc.. We wouldn't make it long enough to reproduce. It's not a bad thing to develop opinions about groups. Sometimes it helps to serve and protect your own interests.

My association with the white man has led me to the conclusion that they are often sneaky, deceitful manipulators. But actually my own experience has led me to another conclusion. I don't have to have any ideas tied to race or even gender. My opinion on humanity is simple. I simply do not trust anyone except to the extent I am willing to risk them hurting me. Likewise, my ability to seek restition should they do so is considered. The only other consideration is personal experience with the person, but that is not a big point because con men operate by manipulating this one.

Likewise for the rotweiler / pit-bull mix. I simply don't trust dogs that growl at me or make threats regardless of the dog's race.

And yet race may not be worhtless. While I don't think Asians are inherently smarter or harder working, it has been my experience that often are. What's that worth? To me it's worth nothing. I still need to know the individual and I still wouldn't trust anyone regardless of race except inasmuch as I am willing to live with getting screwed that amount. That's life. Humans suck. Don't trust them unless you have good reason to believe that you can rectify the screwing and are willing to live with it.

in my opinion, make everything equal. Period. Men, women, white, brown... Doesn't matter. Make it equal. No legal discrimination.

I would prefer a system that also took need into account rather than just merit. Some white guys are just as needy as black guys. Personally I'd rather have the black community figure out how best to address their problems. They have some really bright, successful people and some who are more familiar with the issues than others. Me, I don't know jack about them, but I'm willing to have unfairness heaped upon me to a degree if it actually improves race relations and their situation. I'm not so keen on having unfairness heaped upon others and that's my problem with it. I'm also not certain that it really helps them. Then again, I don't think leaving it alone helps them. I don't know what helps them. I'm just saying that I'm willing Old Testament be at the losing end of the unfair stick if it really would help.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_antishock8
_Emeritus

Post by _antishock8 »

That's a really weird martyr thing you have gong on. You are willing to have UNFAIRNESS heaped upon you to atone for whatever. THAT, my friend, is crazy.

Reference your other opinions, I don't think anyone is really that far off from one another. I share a lot of your sentiments. I'm a bit of a misanthrope, because white, black, asian, brown... Whatever... Humans are asses. Ben Franklin has a great quote:

Edit: Crap. I can't find it. But basically it says something to the effect that you have a handful of people in your life that you can count as friends, but ultimately there will only be one person that you trust. THAT is some truth, right there, brother.

In the meantime, I'm sure this quote might be appropriate for you AB:

I am free of prejudice. I hate everyone equally.

— W. C. Fields
Last edited by Guest on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t trust adults to tell you the truth.

Scream the lie, whisper the retraction.- The Left
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

antishock8 wrote:That's a really weird martyr thing you have gong on. You are willing to have UNFAIRNESS heaped upon you to atone for whatever. THAT, my friend, is crazy.

Atone? No. In some sense I see it more like picking my battles. Sometimes I don't fight for fairness among friends and relatives deciding instead to get shorted in exchange for keeping the relationship going. Of course, I have my limits. I'm not gonna simply forgive my flesh and blood brother for scaming me out of a $10,000 but I might forgive $100 after I let him know I don't want anything like that to happen again. I see it somewhat similar with society at large although I find taxes problematic in many ways.

In the meantime, I'm sure this quote might be appropriate for you AB:

I am free of prejudice. I hate everyone equally.

— W. C. Fields

That's a good one. I kind of like what a friend of mine in high school said all the time, "I'm an equal opportunity offender."
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_antishock8
_Emeritus

Post by _antishock8 »

asbestosman wrote:That's a good one. I kind of like what a friend of mine in high school said all the time, "I'm an equal opportunity offender."

I think once a person realizes that we're all islands unto ourselves, ultimately only knowable to ourselves in a very real sense, then understanding human nature becomes easier. We're all self-interested to a degree; even altruism is based in an inherent need to feel good. So, while I agree that we ultimately have to give individuals a shot to prove themselves worthy of our time or attention, it's not necessarily a bad thing to discriminate because discrimination is the tool we use to filter out the crap that makes us, as individuals, unhappy... Which can only be known by ourselves.
You can’t trust adults to tell you the truth.

Scream the lie, whisper the retraction.- The Left
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

asbestosman wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:I'll never forget something my 9th grade English teacher told us one day. He started the lesson saying, "Today, we're going to build a fail proof b***s*** detector!" (We were all amazed he actually swore in class). "Any time you hear words that are absolutes, like 'always', 'never', 'every', 'all', or 'none' in a sentence, you can write that statement off as b***s***!" In other words, generalizations are generally b***s***.

Your teacher taught you something self-contradictory. If a fail proof BS detector consists of simply looking for absolutes, then the BS detector istelf is BS because it is "fail proof".

QED

Well, I think his intent was more to get our attention than it was to create the described mechanism in a completely comprehensive way. Remember, he was talking to a bunch of 14 year olds.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Some Schmo wrote:Well, I think his intent was more to get our attention than it was to create the described mechanism in a completely comprehensive way. Remember, he was talking to a bunch of 14 year olds.

I figured. I was mostly having a bit of fun. I'm just surprised a smart-alecky 14 year old Schmo didn't bring that point up to the teacher. I know I would have--if I thought I could get away it.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO