White privilege is a myth

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Lem
God

Re: White privilege is a myth

Post by Lem »

Lem wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:47 am
ceeboo wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:05 am
I think you're missing my point. What you are suggesting is precisely what my point is. I'll try again.

I understand that there was no confusion about which Harvard. I was suggesting that because it was Harvard (prestige/awesome/wow) the response was "You mean the one in Massachusetts?"
Then let’s repeat the story told:
canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:37 pm
More from Hutcherson -
so, by your own logic ceeboo, both Princeton and Harvard should generate “(prestige/awesome/wow)”, but only one person got asked for clarification. Your point is invalid.
Leaving my gender aside, do you have any response to my comment about your post?

(In other words, please comment on the topic instead of avoiding it in favor of making sexist remarks. )
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:57 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:11 pm

And, do we know know there races of the other people pardoned?
I’m not sure what that means, but I’m fairly certain there were a bunch of people from all walks of life and all stripes, as it were, that were marching in that neighborhood that day. So, I was curious if the white couple only pointed their weapons at black people.

- Doc
I thought you asked a good question, and I asked another one. I’m not sure this is good example of white privilege as opposed to political opportunism.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Ceebs, I appreciate the response. But I don’t understand why my example isn’t apples to apples. Same question. Same answer. But completely different response. The only thing that isn’t apples to apples is my skin color. Which is kinda the point.

And in your Burger King example, the last response I would give is “you mean the one in the Vatican?” It would more along the lines of Congratulations or That’s exciting or That really impressive.”
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ceeboo wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:05 am
don't think you're comparing apples to apples. Let's imagine you're not a lawyer yet. You're a young lad, you live in Scottsdale Arizona, You have been accepted to Harvard Law School and you are preparing to begin your awesome journey. While still at home in AZ, you enter the Post office to mail something to Harvard. An extremely nice young Christian young man named Ceeboo strikes up a conversation with you and asks you "What are you doing here" - You reply "I am mailing something to my school, I start there next week" - Ceeboo replies "Cool, what school" - You reply "Harvard" - I reply "You mean the one in Massachusetts?" That question is born from being impressed - Like wow. I simply don't buy that the clear meaning of the question (in the story above) is something like, No way are you, someone who has black skin, smart enough to be accepted at Harvard.
Hi, Ceeboo -

Were we continuing via PM, I’d probably have returned the same observations that others have given here. And I have a few others.

First - I suspect that there are some differences in communication style that could explain our postal clerk’s choice of words. Myself, I’d never have used those words, because there is an implied statement of there being multiple ‘Harvards’, which is silly. Likely, a better choice of words may have been, “The school in Massachusetts?” Marginally better, but it focuses on the location of the Harvard without implying that there may be more than one Harvard. The difference is subtle but significant enough.

Another thing I’d like to point out is that the local context of this story plays a role, in several ways:

1. The author is asked this three separate times by three separate people,

2. She is asked while carrying packages addressed to ‘that’ Harvard,

3. The same type of confirmation isn’t asked of her friend who was right in front of her (the one going to Princeton).

Last - I’d like to offer that this episode happening to the author within the larger oveall context of her experiences in total, which includes 9 other examples of privilege, shapes her perception. So we could expect that the author has reason to be - if you would term her so - a bit jaded.

This is the thing about privilege. It isn’t always egregious in the single instance. But, over time and with an accumulation of similar episodes, it becomes strikingly apparent to the one outside of that privilege… which is kind of the point.

I’ll post another example from the author’s list in a moment that will show a better definition of privilege.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Reprinting #6, and adding #7 -
6. In my freshman college tutorial, our small group of 4–5 was assigned to read Thoreau, Emerson, Malcolm X, Joseph Conrad, Dreiser, etc. When it was the week to discuss The Autobiography of Malcolm X, one white boy boldly claimed he couldn’t even get through it because he couldn’t relate and didn’t think he should be forced to read it. I don’t remember the words I said, but I still remember the feeling—I think it’s what doctors refer to as chandelier pain—as soon as a sensitive area on a patient is touched, they shoot through the roof—that’s what I felt. I know I said something like my whole life I’ve had to read “things that don’t have anything to do with me or that I relate to” but I find a way anyway because that’s what learning is about—trying to understand other people’s perspectives. The point here is—the canon of literature studied in the United States, as well as the majority of television and movies, have focused primarily on the works or achievements of white men. So, if you have never experienced or considered how damaging it is/was/could be to grow up without myriad role models and images in school that reflect you in your required reading material or in the mainstream media, you have white privilege.
7. All seniors at Harvard are invited to a fancy, seated group lunch with our respective dorm masters. (Yes, they were called “masters” up until this February, when they changed it to “faculty deans,” but that’s just a tasty little side dish to the main course of this remembrance). While we were being served by the Dunster House cafeteria staff—the black ladies from Haiti and Boston who ran the line daily (I still remember Jackie’s kindness and warmth to this day)—Master Sally mused out loud how proud they must be to be serving the nation’s best and brightest. I don’t know if they heard her, but I did, and it made me uncomfortable and sick. The point here is, if you’ve never been blindsided when you are just trying to enjoy a meal by a well-paid faculty member’s patronizing and racist assumptions about how grateful black people must feel to be in their presence, you have white privilege.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ceeboo wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:58 am
"Women?" (Did you just bust another misogynist, Lem?)
Possibly. She simply offered that the person who told the story re: Harvard was a woman, not a guy.

Then you yanked her chain a good deal. Stuff about genitals and crap.

Then you flipped out on her here:
This takes the freaking cake, Lem. You are unbelievable! The pages and pages of really hurtful, really unkind and really ridiculous posts that are littered all over this freaking board and you have the freaking nerve to call me out over this? Really? You remain loyal and silent to countless example of hateful and downright disgusting posts every day. How dare you. You're absurd!

Yeah, my post is "hurtful, unkind and ridiculous" - Go kick rocks!!!!!
She's not the only woman who posts on this forum. This woman would like to know why you reacted so strongly and started throwing hands in response to a subtle correction. That was necessary for some reason? :shock: Did I miss something in my reading?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:10 am
ceeboo wrote:
Possibly.
Freaking really?? You can go kick rocks too!
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

ceeboo wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:18 am
Jersey Girl wrote:

Possibly.
Told you😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Jersey Girl wrote:
ceeboo wrote:
Possibly. She simply offered that the person who told the story re: Harvard was a woman, not a guy.

This takes the freaking cake, Lem. You are unbelievable! The pages and pages of really hurtful, really unkind and really ridiculous posts that are littered all over this freaking board and you have the freaking nerve to call me out over this? Really? You remain loyal and silent to countless example of hateful and downright disgusting posts every day. How dare you. You're absurd!

Yeah, my post is "hurtful, unkind and ridiculous" - Go kick rocks!!!!!
She's not the only woman who posts on this forum. This woman would like to know why you reacted so strongly and started throwing hands in response to a subtle correction. That was necessary for some reason? :shock: Did I miss something in my reading?
ceeboo wrote:
Trolls will be trolls, you expect crap from them, but ceeboo, you don’t seem to understand that it is actually worse to read sexist comments coming from a long-standing regular in our community. Jersey explained this in a very calm and straightforward way, and you were a jerk back to her.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Lem wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:28 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:

ceeboo wrote:
Trolls will be trolls, you expect crap from them, but ceeboo, you don’t seem to understand that it is actually worse to read sexist comments coming from a long-standing regular in our community. Jersey explained this in a very calm and straightforward way, and you were a jerk back to her.
Are you and calm twins?? Damn!! Give the guy a break! Get off your thrown for a minute and enjoy how the commoners live queen of the spirit paradise forum!