White privilege is a myth

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Themis
Elder

Re: White privilege is a myth

Post by Themis »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:11 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:53 pm

Just the black ones?

- Doc
And, do we know know there races of the other people pardoned?
I suspect it has more to do with ideology and what republicans thought of the people who were trespassing that day than the fact they were a white couple, and while I suspect the couple probably votes republican, they did milk the right to get that support they needed to get the republican governor to pardon them. I am less certain if they were a black couple that they would have been treated the same, but it is possible if they promoted themselves to republicans as the white couple did.
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:23 pm
Ceeboo, in respect to your extended example, if there were some other well known Harvard school that was commonly confused with the Harvard in Massachusetts, I could see your point. But there isn’t. I’m sure I’ve been asked 1000 times in my life where I went to law school. Not a single person has responded “You mean the Harvard in Massachusetts?” Had someone done so, I would have found it very odd.

I think the guy has a valid point.
I think you have a good point. I think some very old stereotypes of black people still haunt us today even if for most it may be unconscious.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:11 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:53 pm

Just the black ones?

- Doc
And, do we know know there races of the other people pardoned?
I’m not sure what that means, but I’m fairly certain there were a bunch of people from all walks of life and all stripes, as it were, that were marching in that neighborhood that day. So, I was curious if the white couple only pointed their weapons at black people.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Ceeboo, in respect to your extended example, if there were some other well known Harvard school that was commonly confused with the Harvard in Massachusetts, I could see your point. But there isn’t. I’m sure I’ve been asked 1000 times in my life where I went to law school. Not a single person has responded “You mean the Harvard in Massachusetts?” Had someone done so, I would have found it very odd.

I’m not sure who you mean by the guy, but it was a woman who told the Harvard story.
Lori Lakin Hutcherson
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey RI
Res Ipsa wrote:
Ceeboo, in respect to your extended example, if there were some other well known Harvard school that was commonly confused with the Harvard in Massachusetts, I could see your point. But there isn’t.
I think you're missing my point. What you are suggesting is precisely what my point is. I'll try again.

I understand that there was no confusion about which Harvard. I was suggesting that because it was Harvard (prestige/awesome/wow) the response was "You mean the one in Massachusetts?"

Like if I ran into a young lady at Burger King in Iowa and she told me she was landed a job at the Sistine Chapel. I might very well reply "You mean the on in Vatican City." Not because there are several of them or there was confusion but precisely because it was the Sistine Chapel.

If you were at a Burger King in Iowa, how common would this be? Thus the response seems at least reasonable to me.

by the way: I used a "lady" at the Burger King for Lem, Because we all know how critical the genitals are in the freaking story!
I’m sure I’ve been asked 1000 times in my life where I went to law school. Not a single person has responded “You mean the Harvard in Massachusetts?”
That's because you have white skin. (Kidding! Relax people) :lol:

I don't think you're comparing apples to apples. Let's imagine you're not a lawyer yet. You're a young lad, you live in Scottsdale Arizona, You have been accepted to Harvard Law School and you are preparing to begin your awesome journey. While still at home in AZ, you enter the Post office to mail something to Harvard. An extremely nice young Christian young man named Ceeboo strikes up a conversation with you and asks you "What are you doing here" - You reply "I am mailing something to my school, I start there next week" - Ceeboo replies "Cool, what school" - You reply "Harvard" - I reply "You mean the one in Massachusetts?" That question is born from being impressed - Like wow. I simply don't buy that the clear meaning of the question (in the story above) is something like, No way are you, someone who has black skin, smart enough to be accepted at Harvard.
Fair enough, I don't think the guy has a valid point. (Sorry again Lem - Lady!!!!!!!!!)
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

ceeboo wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:05 am
Hey RI
Res Ipsa wrote:
Ceeboo, in respect to your extended example, if there were some other well known Harvard school that was commonly confused with the Harvard in Massachusetts, I could see your point. But there isn’t.
I think you're missing my point. What you are suggesting is precisely what my point is. I'll try again.

I understand that there was no confusion about which Harvard. I was suggesting that because it was Harvard (prestige/awesome/wow) the response was "You mean the one in Massachusetts?"

Like if I ran into a young lady at Burger King in Iowa and she told me she just landed a job at the Sistine Chapel. I might very well reply "You mean the on in Vatican City." Not because there are several of them or there was confusion but precisely because it was the Sistine Chapel.

If you were at a Burger King in Iowa, how common would this be? Thus the response seems at least reasonable to me.

by the way: I used a "lady" at the Burger King for Lem, Because we all know how critical the genitals are in the freaking story!
I’m sure I’ve been asked 1000 times in my life where I went to law school. Not a single person has responded “You mean the Harvard in Massachusetts?”
That's because you have white skin. (Kidding! Relax people) :lol:

I don't think you're comparing apples to apples. Let's imagine you're not a lawyer yet. You're a young lad, you live in Scottsdale Arizona, You have been accepted to Harvard Law School and you are preparing to begin your awesome journey. While still at home in AZ, you enter the Post office to mail something to Harvard. An extremely nice young Christian young man named Ceeboo strikes up a conversation with you and asks you "What are you doing here" - You reply "I am mailing something to my school, I start there next week" - Ceeboo replies "Cool, what school" - You reply "Harvard" - I reply "You mean the one in Massachusetts?" That question is born from being impressed - Like wow. I simply don't buy that the clear meaning of the question (in the story above) is something like, No way are you, someone who has black skin, smart enough to be accepted at Harvard.
Fair enough, I don't think the guy has a valid point. (Sorry again Lem - Lady!!!!!!!!!)
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

ceeboo wrote:
Sigh.
Sigh again.

This is a great example of the nonsense women deal with regularly. I assume ceeboo is making this point because I noted that the original story was told by a woman. Why would some people feel the need to turn that piece of information into a spiteful and unnecessary jab— or multiple jabs, as ceeboo has?

It is hurtful, unkind, and ridiculous. But… it still occurs. Sigh.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

ceeboo wrote:

Then let’s repeat the story told:
canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:37 pm
More from Hutcherson -
…The third was at UPS, shipping off boxes of said “what to bring” to Harvard. I was in line behind a white boy mailing boxes to Princeton and in front of a white woman sending her child’s boxes to wherever.

Woman to the boy: “What college are you going to?” Boy: “Princeton.”

Woman: “Congratulations!”

Woman to me: “Where are you sending your boxes?” Me: “Harvard.”

Woman: “You mean the one in Massachusetts?”
so, by your own logic ceeboo, both Princeton and Harvard should generate “(prestige/awesome/wow)”, but only one person got asked for clarification. Your point is invalid.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Lem wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:31 am
ceeboo wrote:
Sigh.
Sigh again.

This is a great example of the nonsense women deal with regularly.
"Women?" (Did you just bust another misogynist, Lem?)

I didn't direct my post to "women" - I directed my post to Lem. I was directing them to you. I know you have a real difficult time with the concept of individual people so I hope you appreciate the time i just took to clarify.
This takes the freaking cake, Lem. You are unbelievable! The pages and pages of really hurtful, really unkind and really ridiculous posts that are littered all over this freaking board and you have the freaking nerve to call me out over this? Really? You remain loyal and silent to countless example of hateful and downright disgusting posts every day. How dare you. You're absurd!

Yeah, my post is "hurtful, unkind and ridiculous" - Go kick rocks!!!!!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

ceeboo wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:58 am
Lem wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:31 am

Sigh.

Sigh again.

This is a great example of the nonsense women deal with regularly.
"Women?" (Did you just bust another misogynist, Lem?)

I didn't direct my post to "women" - I directed my post to Lem. I was directing them to you. I know you have a real difficult time with the concept of individual people so I hope you appreciate the time i just took to clarify.
This takes the freaking cake, Lem. You are unbelievable! The pages and pages of really hurtful, really unkind and really ridiculous posts that are littered all over this freaking board and you have the freaking nerve to call me out over this? Really? You remain loyal and silent to countless example of hateful and downright disgusting posts every day. How dare you. You're absurd!

Yeah, my post is "hurtful, unkind and ridiculous" - Go kick rocks!!!!!
:lol: another example of the nonsense women put up with. As long as you can point out how other people are treated badly, how dare a woman point out sexism? :roll:

Again, just more of what women tolerate daily. And yes, it is hurtful and unkind. And more and more, i find it ridiculous that some men feel the need to keep pointing out these differences. We are adults discussing a topic. This continued insistence that the gender of a poster needs to be mocked is ridiculous.
ceeboo wrote: You remain loyal and silent to countless example of hateful and downright disgusting posts every day.
that is absolutely and unequivocally not true. Are you not paying attention?