White privilege is a myth

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Atlanticmike
God

Re: White privilege is a myth

Post by Atlanticmike »

ceeboo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:37 pm
Icarus,

Just like many people on this board, I have been participating on them for years. I always try (sometimes fail) to extend the benefit of the doubt to all - One of the reasons I do this (not the only reason but a big one in my opinion) is because I recognize, understand and appreciate how valuable it is when I am extended this very same benefit of doubt by others.

After reading many of your board contributions over the last few days, I must say, You are really really really making it really really really difficult on me to extend this precious courtesy to you. Although, after I say a few short words that I feel compelled to say about your post below, I will do my best moving forward.
Icarus wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:40 pm

Shades is, if anything, a Right Winger. No help has ever come from Shades in discussions, and if people didn't know he was the board owner they'd probably think he was a troll. I was hoping he'd clean up the mess in his own yard, but he's more afraid of offending complete strangers on the internet than he is in providing a respectable environment for intelligent discourse.
This strikes me as monumentally unappreciative of what Shades has provided for all of us. As someone who has been permanently banned from every other LDS related board that I have ever been on over the years, I find myself deeply grateful to Shades for merely making this place exist.

A few more points I would like you to consider and then I will sign off.

You were "hoping he would clean up the mess in his own yard" - Really? Have you ever considered that the people who were involved in making the mess ought to be the ones doing the cleaning up? And if we are all more than welcomed (By Shades) to simply come and play in his yard - whenever we want - for as long as we want - without ever having to cut the grass - without ever having to water the grass - and without ever having to take any responsibility for making sure the grass will be there tomorrow. Have you ever considered that we should be thanking him for being able to use his grass? - And if thanking someone for getting to play on their grass all day is something that you don't feel the need to do or show some level of appreciation for - perhaps you could at least not assign negative motives to him for how he chooses to interact and/or handle ALL OF THOSE INDIVIDUAL PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN INVITED BY HIM TO PLAY ON HIS GRASS.

Signing off.
Awesome post!!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:34 pm
canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:24 pm

Your concern is defined by ideology as opposed to behavior. You should own that.
Honest question! Would this forum be more enjoyable to read through without personal insults?
It would and ceeboo has made a thougtful statement that agrees with this.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:54 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:

Honest question! Would this forum be more enjoyable to read through without personal insults?
It would and ceeboo has made a thougtful statement that agrees with this.
Thank you huckleberry, I agree!
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Yes, but then you would be able to read through the entire forum in about 3-4 minutes. Then what would you do for the remainder of the day? :lol:
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

ceeboo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:42 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Yes, but then you would be able to read through the entire forum in about 3-4 minutes. Then what would you do for the remainder of the day? :lol:
Fishing! I would go fishing the rest of the day. How bout you?😀
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:48 pm

I would go scuba diving in the same body of water that you're fishing at and mess with your bait all day long. :)
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

More from Hutcherson -
5. When I got accepted to Harvard (as a fellow AP student, you were witness to what an academic beast I was in high school, yes?), three separate times I encountered white strangers as I prepped for my maiden trip to Cambridge that rankle to this day. The first was the white doctor giving me a physical at Kaiser:

Me: “I need to send an immunization report to my college so I can matriculate.”

Doctor: “Where are you going?”

Me: “Harvard.”

Doctor: “You mean the one in Massachusetts?”

The second was in a store, looking for supplies I needed from Harvard’s suggested “what to bring with you” list.

Store employee: “Where are you going?”

Me: “Harvard.”

Store employee: “You mean the one in Massachusetts?”

The third was at UPS, shipping off boxes of said “what to bring” to Harvard. I was in line behind a white boy mailing boxes to Princeton and in front of a white woman sending her child’s boxes to wherever.

Woman to the boy: “What college are you going to?” Boy: “Princeton.”

Woman: “Congratulations!”

Woman to me: “Where are you sending your boxes?” Me: “Harvard.”

Woman: “You mean the one in Massachusetts?”

I think: “No, bitch, the one downtown next to the liquor store.” But I say, gesturing to my LABELED boxes: “Yes, the one in Massachusetts.”

Then she says congratulations, but it’s too damned late. The point here is, if no one has ever questioned your intellectual capabilities or attendance at an elite institution based solely on your skin color, you have white privilege.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

ceeboo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:58 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:48 pm

I would go scuba diving in the same body of water that you're fishing at and mess with your bait all day long. :)
Good Lord😂😂. Sounds like something I would say😂. I would do that though, sounds like fun. Unless you accidentally grab the hook, ouch!!!
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:40 pm
ceeboo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:58 pm

Good Lord😂😂. Sounds like something I would say😂. I would do that though, sounds like fun. Unless you accidentally grab the hook, ouch!!!
:lol:

And a Gif especially for you! It's me, playing with the fish as I wait for your boat to get a little closer.

canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Another example -
6. In my freshman college tutorial, our small group of 4–5 was assigned to read Thoreau, Emerson, Malcolm X, Joseph Conrad, Dreiser, etc. When it was the week to discuss The Autobiography of Malcolm X, one white boy boldly claimed he couldn’t even get through it because he couldn’t relate and didn’t think he should be forced to read it. I don’t remember the words I said, but I still remember the feeling—I think it’s what doctors refer to as chandelier pain—as soon as a sensitive area on a patient is touched, they shoot through the roof—that’s what I felt. I know I said something like my whole life I’ve had to read “things that don’t have anything to do with me or that I relate to” but I find a way anyway because that’s what learning is about—trying to understand other people’s perspectives. The point here is—the canon of literature studied in the United States, as well as the majority of television and movies, have focused primarily on the works or achievements of white men. So, if you have never experienced or considered how damaging it is/was/could be to grow up without myriad role models and images in school that reflect you in your required reading material or in the mainstream media, you have white privilege.