White privilege is a myth

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: White privilege is a myth

Post by Chap »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:52 am
[...]

Here's my question. Why can black Africans come to America and achieve so much success that their median household income is higher than white Americans??
I trust you feel you have been answered satisfactorily?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Chap wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:30 pm
I can say that like an another post of mine, this one obviously needed me to insert warning tags.
Lol. It’s good of you to think of the special folks who needed that.

Of course, the serious version of that point is that the Nigerians who make it into the US are on the whole not the poor of the Lagos slums.
Equally serious is that Atlanticmike’s candidate of choice removed the possibility of Nigerians from coming to the US, regardless of their high level of achievement already attained prior to their request:
Nigerians who resettle in the United States bring a level of education that almost doubles that of the American population — six out of ten Nigerians who come have at least a college degree, while for Americans, that number is closer to three out of ten. Nigerian-Americans have contributed to American arts and letters, from policy to poetry. ImeIme Umana, the first woman of color to be president of the Harvard Law Review, and renowned writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie are just two examples of prominent Nigerian-Americans.

In 2020, former president Donald Trump added Nigeria to the list of countries whose residents were banned from immigrating to the United States. The following year, President Joe Biden reversed the ban his first day in office. While Covid-19 continues to affect immigration, there are no longer any legal bans on immigrating from Nigeria to the United States.
https://www.boundless.com/immigration-r ... a-us-visa/

Given enough time in office, Trump would have eliminated even Nigerians as a straw man for Atlanticmike to use in this discussion.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Chap wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:00 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:52 am
[...]

Here's my question. Why can black Africans come to America and achieve so much success that their median household income is higher than white Americans??
Nope
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:57 am
Chap wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:00 pm
Nope
You asked:
Why can black Africans come to America and achieve so much success that their median household income is higher than white Americans??
And Canpakes made a post of which this is part:
canpakes wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:21 pm

[...]
Nigerians who resettle in the United States bring a level of education that almost doubles that of the American population — six out of ten Nigerians who come have at least a college degree, while for Americans, that number is closer to three out of ten. Nigerian-Americans have contributed to American arts and letters, from policy to poetry. ImeIme Umana, the first woman of color to be president of the Harvard Law Review, and renowned writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie are just two examples of prominent Nigerian-Americans.

In 2020, former president Donald Trump added Nigeria to the list of countries whose residents were banned from immigrating to the United States. The following year, President Joe Biden reversed the ban his first day in office. While Covid-19 continues to affect immigration, there are no longer any legal bans on immigrating from Nigeria to the United States.

[...]
Surely the answer to your question is obvious - and there it is: immigrant Nigerians (who are certainly a representative sample of Africans who might arrive in the US) are twice as likely as Americans to have a college degree. Given also the fact pointed out by me that Africans who make it to the states and get through immigration are generally likely to come from well-off middle-class families, it is hardly surprising that their median income is more than that of Americans in general, significant numbers of whom have no college degree, and may not even have finished high school.

So what is it about the earning power of immigrant Africans compared to the mass of Americans that surprises you, and has not been explained?

Please tell us.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Chap wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:18 am
So what is it about the earning power of immigrant Africans compared to the mass of Americans that surprises you, and has not been explained?
And, remember - we’re still talking about household income with that particular stat - not individual income. Atlanticmike doesn’t seem to understand the difference in that, either.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Chap wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:18 am
Atlanticmike wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:57 am
Nope
You asked:
Why can black Africans come to America and achieve so much success that their median household income is higher than white Americans??
And Canpakes made a post of which this is part:
canpakes wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:21 pm

[...]

[...]
Surely the answer to your question is obvious - and there it is: immigrant Nigerians (who are certainly a representative sample of Africans who might arrive in the US) are twice as likely as Americans to have a college degree. Given also the fact pointed out by me that Africans who make it to the states and get through immigration are generally likely to come from well-off middle-class families, it is hardly surprising that their median income is more than that of Americans in general, significant numbers of whom have no college degree, and may not even have finished high school.

Please tell us.
Not even close!! Do you even know any Nigerians? I do!! My two oldest kids were delivered by a Nigerian doctor. my kids play with his kids, they swim at their house all the time or at least they did when they were younger. When his mom and dad came to the United States they lived in the back of a hair salon for the first 5 years.

I know another Nigerian family whose father came here first and over a six-year period brought the rest of the family. No college education.

First of all. Their success here in America doesn't have anything to do with an education before they get here. Nigerians are very optimistic, happy and they believe in a strong family bond. They respect their parents, their aunts, their uncles, their nieces, their nephews, anyone who's in their family. Really really really strong family connection and this is key why they are so successful here in America. They are very optimistic and pass that on to their kids. They expect only the best from their kids from the day that they are born. Really no different than a lot of Asian families that come to America. My wife is Filipino and her family is extremely close even with extended family back in the Philippines. The key to success here in America is having a positive attitude and working your butt off and a lot of immigrants from Asia and Africa have already learned that in their native countries. In America today, anyone, and I mean anyone of any color or any background has the ability to live the American dream if they can keep a positive attitude and just work, work and work.

It's a shame that a large percentage of native-born Americans are being taught that America is racist and one if the worst countries in the world. When in reality America and Americans have done more to improve tough situations around the world than any other country. We're generous with our money, our time, we love other people and are willing to travel to help people in need. AGAIN!! that's why people are willing to walk thousands of miles to come here. Swim here and spend years and years saving money so they can travel here legally also. White guilt and this game the progressives are playing will destroy this country. Once freedom is gone it's gone for good.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

So Atlanticmike knows two hardworking and optimistic Nigerian families.

So he is entitled to entirely discount as a factor in the overall success of Nigerians income terms compared to other US citizens the fact that the average Nigerian arriving in the US is twice as likely to have a college degree than the average American.

That is completely irrelevant. How do we know that? Because he told us so.
Maksutov:
Mayan Elephant:
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey A-Mike
Atlanticmike wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:26 pm
It's a shame that a large percentage of native-born Americans are being taught that America is racist and one if the worst countries in the world.
A shame It most certainly is. Among other things.
When in reality America and Americans have done more to improve tough situations around the world than any other country.
Without question.
We're generous with our money, our time, we love other people and are willing to travel to help people in need.
without question.
that's why people are willing to walk thousands of miles to come here. Swim here and spend years and years saving money so they can travel here
Obvious to any serious and sober minded person (And I certainly don't/can't blame any of them for doing so. I would!)
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:26 pm

Not even close!! Do you even know any Nigerians? I do!! My two oldest kids were delivered by a Nigerian doctor. my kids play with his kids, they swim at their house all the time or at least they did when they were younger. When his mom and dad came to the United States they lived in the back of a hair salon for the first 5 years.

I know another Nigerian family whose father came here first and over a six-year period brought the rest of the family. No college education.

First of all. Their success here in America doesn't have anything to do with an education before they get here. Nigerians are very optimistic, happy and they believe in a strong family bond. They respect their parents, their aunts, their uncles, their nieces, their nephews, anyone who's in their family. Really really really strong family connection and this is key why they are so successful here in America. They are very optimistic and pass that on to their kids. They expect only the best from their kids from the day that they are born. Really no different than a lot of Asian families that come to America. My wife is Filipino and her family is extremely close even with extended family back in the Philippines. The key to success here in America is having a positive attitude and working your butt off and a lot of immigrants from Asia and Africa have already learned that in their native countries. In America today, anyone, and I mean anyone of any color or any background has the ability to live the American dream if they can keep a positive attitude and just work, work and work.

It's a shame that a large percentage of native-born Americans are being taught that America is racist and one if the worst countries in the world. When in reality America and Americans have done more to improve tough situations around the world than any other country. We're generous with our money, our time, we love other people and are willing to travel to help people in need. AGAIN!! that's why people are willing to walk thousands of miles to come here. Swim here and spend years and years saving money so they can travel here legally also. White guilt and this game the progressives are playing will destroy this country. Once freedom is gone it's gone for good.
Atlantic mike, you make some good observations about immigrants. Yes there is opportunity in American. I have even heard there are native born Americans that make good out of the land of opportunity. I certainly wish to see that continue.

Then you add a statement about progressives ending this and freedom is in danger of being lost. I do not know what you are talking about there. ....? Progressives have been shaping America for the past hundred years. Is freedom now gone?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Chap wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:11 pm
So Atlanticmike knows two hardworking and optimistic Nigerian families.

So he is entitled to entirely discount as a factor in the overall success of Nigerians income terms compared to other US citizens the fact that the average Nigerian arriving in the US is twice as likely to have a college degree than the average American.

That is completely irrelevant. How do we know that? Because he told us so.
And those two fine Nigerian families don’t negate the existence of privilege regardless, no more so than me producing two poor Nigerian families would prove or negate it.

But Atlanticmike likes those straw man arguments. ; )