White privilege is a myth

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Atlanticmike
God

White privilege is a myth

Post by Atlanticmike »

I started this thread to share personal stories, articles and videos that show white privilege is a myth. In today's society its becoming popular again to separate people by skin color and skin color alone. A baby born white is a future oppressor based on white history while a black baby will be the oppressed. This is a very dangerous and cruel way to box people in, and judging someone soley based on their skin color is a step backwards in my opinion.

This video is to show "privilege" has nothing to do with skin color. Not in this country! White, black, or brown, doesn't matter, work hard and you'll have a better chance at succeeding and reaching your dream in this wonderful country than anywhere else on earth. Again, that's why people will risk death to come here. They understand how special this country is. To bad many of our fellow Americans have forgot or never realized how fortunate we are.

https://youtu.be/l4aAIF-iW9U
Atlanticmike
God

Re: White privilege is a myth

Post by Atlanticmike »

This video shows a life of a man most people in this country think only exist in movies.
https://youtu.be/Uqwy0dPRVOw
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

White slums of South Africa
https://youtu.be/Ba3E-Ha5Efc
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Wonderful American explaining the myth of white privilege.
https://youtu.be/EtK2urUtuTg
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

This video is why I can never even consider jumping over to the Progressive way of thinking. It's one of the most disgusting, dishonest videos on YouTube. It's even worse than a church video trying to explain how priesthood power can benefit you and your family.

https://youtu.be/BUB3MGWT3xo
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:53 am
This video is why I can never even consider jumping over to the Progressive way of thinking. It's one of the most disgusting, dishonest videos on YouTube. It's even worse than a church video trying to explain how priesthood power can benefit you and your family.

This is weird. I watched the link video and found a mildly comic and not too surprising simple observations about white privilege. It even noted that it does not insure against white failure. (or is that a baseline understanding I always see from???)

I mean there are white people living on the streets, dying from alcohol or drugs, frustrated in their jobs, suffering from bad bosses, in debt, laid off, looking for work and many other negative situations.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:13 am
Atlanticmike wrote:

This is weird. I watched the link video and found a mildly comic and not too surprising simple observations about white privilege. It even noted that it does not insure against white failure. (or is that a baseline understanding I always see from???)

I mean there are white people living on the streets, dying from alcohol or drugs, frustrated in their jobs, suffering from bad bosses, in debt, laid off, looking for work and many other negative situations.
The video freaked me out because it was like I was watching a Mormon or Jehovah Witness indoctrination video. I will admit, some of the churches videos are just plain stupid. A couple years back my girls were watching a church youth program and it was so cheesy and artificial I made them stop watching it. Can't remember what it was about, but it was Elaine Dalton and some guy on stage with a head set on and they were waaaaay over the top in their expressions and tone of voice. That weird Utah voice.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

huckelberry wrote:
Atlanticmike wrote:

Being white does not in itself guarantee that your life will have any positive features at all.

On the other hand, if you are in the USA, it does remove the likelihood that people in positions of influence or authority are likely to form negative conclusions about you based purely on your skin colour, and that those negative conclusions may have a negative influence on your personal well-being or immediate physical safety.

So there is that.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Chap wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:08 pm
Being white does not in itself guarantee that your life will have any positive features at all.
I’d guess that there are no guarantees for any skin color.

What I’m curious about is why the concept of ‘privilege’ causes some folks such fear to the point where they feel that they have to deny its existence. It’s as if they can’t acknowledge that it’s a completely normal byproduct of an unbalanced social mix. It doesn’t necessarily imply anything purposefully sinister. It just is.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Chap wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:08 pm
huckelberry wrote:

On the other hand, if you are in the USA, it does remove the likelihood that people in positions of influence or authority are likely to form negative conclusions about you based purely on your skin colour, and that those negative conclusions may have a negative influence on your personal well-being or immediate physical safety.

So there is that.
Chap, that reasonable observation is pretty much what I heard in the link. I am forgetting at the moment that well known comics and actor's name but his somewhat exaggerated responses intended as comic I gather put Atlanticmike off.