Any changes/modifications/transformations happening?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Re: Any changes/modifications/transformations happening?

Post by Morley »

ceeboo wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:01 pm
Nobody lives without God in this world.
Nobody lives without organic evolution in this world.
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Post by Morley »

ceeboo wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:04 am
Have any of you changed/modified/transitioned any of your previously held positions/beliefs/thoughts/stances? If so, would you be willing to share what changed and perhaps provide reasons why this/these changes have taken place.
Since January 6, I've been less willing to attempt reasoning with idiots.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Chap wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:19 pm
ceeboo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:53 pm
"Atheists Community That Provides Solid And Rational Arguments Against Believers Of Biblical Christianity"
No such body is necessary.
Well, necessary or not - The body exists and you have been terminated from it.
Look, you are the guy who needs to persuade us
I don't need to persuade anyone - Nor should you feel obliged to persuade me - I posted a variety of things that would seem to lend some degree of support regarding the claims made in the Bible. You can dismiss it - You can consider it - You can evaluate it - You can rail against it - You can laugh at it - What you can't do, is demand that I need to persuade you. As I mentioned before, I think defending the Bible is like defending a lion, there is no need, one just needs to turn it loose and it will defend itself.
Us atheists are (as the name implies) managing perfectly well without it.
Yeah, your statement clearly shows that you have never read the Bible. You should give it a look.
Over the last couple of centuries, the world has changed: once you could perhaps assume, as you seem to, that an atheist would feel obliged to explain to a theist why they did not share that approach to the world. Now things are increasingly the other way round.
I can't disagree with you here (At least in the western world)
And "But look at the Bible! Can't you see it's God's Word?" just doesn't cut it any more.
For many, it indeed doesn't cut it anymore. To some, they aren't really sure. To some, they are pretty sure one way or the other. To some, they have super-glued the Bible to a negative experience in past religion that they used to belong to - To some, they are so supremely confident and certain in their current worldview that they simply can not even entertain the possibility of the supernatural.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Lem wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:54 pm
:roll:
:roll:
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

ceeboo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:06 pm
Chap wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:19 pm

No such body is necessary.
Well, necessary or not - The body exists and you have been terminated from it.
Look, you are the guy who needs to persuade us
I don't need to persuade anyone - Nor should you feel obliged to persuade me - I posted a variety of things that would seem to lend some degree of support regarding the claims made in the Bible. You can dismiss it - You can consider it - You can evaluate it - You can rail against it - You can laugh at it - What you can't do, is demand that I need to persuade you. As I mentioned before, I think defending the Bible is like defending a lion, there is no need, one just needs to turn it loose and it will defend itself.
Us atheists are (as the name implies) managing perfectly well without it.
Yeah, your statement clearly shows that you have never read the Bible. You should give it a look.
Over the last couple of centuries, the world has changed: once you could perhaps assume, as you seem to, that an atheist would feel obliged to explain to a theist why they did not share that approach to the world. Now things are increasingly the other way round.
I can't disagree with you here (At least in the western world)
And "But look at the Bible! Can't you see it's God's Word?" just doesn't cut it any more.
For many, it indeed doesn't cut it anymore. To some, they aren't really sure. To some, they are pretty sure one way or the other. To some, they have super-glued the Bible to a negative experience in past religion that they used to belong to - To some, they are so supremely confident and certain in their current worldview that they simply can not even entertain the possibility of the supernatural.
I never truly began to dismiss the Bible until I began doing Mormon Apologetics. Until I discovered that Genesis was merely a creation myth that was based on much older creation myth such as the Enuma Elish.

But I'll always have a special place in my heart for the New Testament teachings of Christ.

Whether God exists or not, I don't pretend to know. But what I do know for a fact is that the Bible isn't what American Conservatives claim it to be. Most of them don't even acknowledge the fact that the Bible didn't even exist in Jesus' day and was compiled in various formats more than a century later. Marcion published the earliest extant fixed collection of New Testament books. Early Church Fathers such as Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, and Tertullian denounced Marcion as a heretic, and he was excommunicated by the church of Rome around 144.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Morley wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:34 pm
ceeboo wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:01 pm
Nobody lives without God in this world.

Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

ceeboo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:14 pm
Morley wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:34 pm

Including the whales.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Morley wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:45 pm
ceeboo wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:04 am
Have any of you changed/modified/transitioned any of your previously held positions/beliefs/thoughts/stances? If so, would you be willing to share what changed and perhaps provide reasons why this/these changes have taken place.
Jan 6th?

Were you "less willing to attempt reasoning with the idiots" that were looting, destroying people's personal property and burning down cities all over America for over an entire year before Jan 6th? Or did this all start for you on the exact date you mention?
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

ceeboo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:21 pm
Morley wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:45 pm

Jan 6th?

Were you "less willing to attempt reasoning with the idiots" that were looting, destroying people's personal property and burning down cities all over America for over an entire year before Jan 6th? Or did this all start for you on the exact date you mention?
Oh really CeeBoo? You're really comparing six months of protests, only a fraction of which became violent, and almost all of which were instigated by white supremacists, the same thing as what took place on Jan 6th?

"Burning down cities" is just a falsehood. You must have been watching FOX during that time as they constantly ran footage 24/7 of the same bonfire burning in the background. Much of the destruction and violence was started by Right Wingers who were doing so just to delegitimize the protests.

But there is clearly a difference in 1) a group acting emotionally after someone was murdered by the State simply because of their race, and 2) tens of thousands of ignorant people believing the Big Lie and attempting to violently overthrow the government merely because their Orange Lord and Savior ordered it so.
Last edited by Icarus on Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

ceeboo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:06 pm
Yeah, your statement clearly shows that you have never read the Bible.
Err, you are sorta wrong there.

When I was a kid, I developed a taste for reading the King James Version, which was in any case frequently read aloud both in church and in my school. I can still recite parts of it by heart. As I got older, I studied some Greek which I have tried to keep going and I have at times made use of it to get a deeper understanding of parts of the New Testament. At one stage in my life I studied ancient Hebrew, though that has largely left me now through lack of use. I have read a number of books on biblical exegesis and on the origins of the texts of various parts of the Bible, and the history of ancient Israel. The one I have studied most recently is Did God have a wife? Archaeology and folk religion in ancient Israel, William G Dever (2005). Do you know it? It will give you a good idea of how the lived religion of the vast majority of ancient Israelites differed from what the elite in Jerusalem would have had us believe.

Your statement clearly shows ... well, what would you say it shows?

(Of course I am probably just lying to you. After all, atheists cannot have any moral sense, can they?)
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.