Any changes/modifications/transformations happening?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ceeboo
God

Any changes/modifications/transformations happening?

Post by ceeboo »

Greetings!

I hope this finds all of you well. :)
I'm not exactly sure what the reasons are (although I think I may know some of the underlying culprits) but I have changed, or at least softened, my stances on a variety of things over the last several months. This has prompted me to ask this community the following:

Have any of you changed/modified/transitioned any of your previously held positions/beliefs/thoughts/stances? If so, would you be willing to share what changed and perhaps provide reasons why this/these changes have taken place.

Thanks in advance,

Ceeboo
Atlanticmike
God

Re: Any changes/modifications/transformations happening?

Post by Atlanticmike »

I knew my daughter was gay while she was still figuring out her sexuality. I softened my stance on LGBT issue over about a three year period. There was no way I was going to take a chance on losing the relationship I have with my oldest daughter so I did a ton of research, praying and talked to a lot of people, including going to a couple of therapist just to talk about LGBT issues.

When she came to us last year we were able to keep right on moving along as a family without skipping a beat. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Over on MD&D I started a thread called "gay daughter advice" in the social Hall around the middle of December if you want to read that story. If this is something you want to talk about I can always retell that story if it's important to you. You still attend church?
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hi A-Mike
Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:26 am

I knew my daughter was gay while she was still figuring out her sexuality. I softened my stance on LGBT issue over about a three year period. There was no way I was going to take a chance on losing the relationship I have with my oldest daughter so I did a ton of research, praying and talked to a lot of people, including going to a couple of therapist just to talk about LGBT issues.
When she came to us last year we were able to keep right on moving along as a family without skipping a beat. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.
Over on MD&D I started a thread called "gay daughter advice" in the social Hall around the middle of December if you want to read that story. If this is something you want to talk about I can always retell that story if it's important to you.
Thanks for sharing that very personal story. If I can ask, are you LDS?
You still attend church?
Yes, I consider myself a non-denominational Evangelical Christian.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ceeboo wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:04 am
… a variety of things over the last several months.
Well. Don’t hold out on us.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

ceeboo wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:39 am
Hi A-Mike
Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:26 am

Over on MD&D I started a thread called "gay daughter advice" in the social Hall around the middle of December if you want to read that story. If this is something you want to talk about I can always retell that story if it's important to you.
Thanks for sharing that very personal story. If I can ask, are you LDS?
You still attend church?
Yes, I consider myself a non-denominational Evangelical Christian.
We still attend church, not as much as we used to though. Summer has always been tough for us, my family loves the beach 😁, we skip out on church a lot in the summer.
I have a lot of Christians in my family. Probably 50/50 Mormon/christian. As a Mormon I don't like being called a christian, nothing against christians, I just think Mormonism trying to fit inside the tent of Christianity will make Mormonism irrelevant.
Anyways, I think it's good to be able to adjust your stances in a variety of life's difficult questions, that's how we grow. So good on ya for being able to be open minded enough to look at life through a different lense, a lot of people can't bring themselves to do that.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey Cam
Good to see you again.
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:45 am
ceeboo wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:04 am
… a variety of things over the last several months.
Well. Don’t hold out on us.

- Doc
Well, there are a few things - I'll share one of them with you.

I used to believe in a hell that could be described as eternal/conscious/torment (This being the dominate traditional western view/belief) - As a believer, this always gave me great pause and it significantly bothered me. What has changed is a relatively deep dive I did into early Christian leaders writings and teachings from the first few centuries. I found that there were three views/beliefs (all three having fairly equal scriptural support) and that these three views were basically excepted amongst the body of Christ (Christians) without need to divide.

These views/beliefs/teachings (In short) are: Eternal conscious torment (Dominate traditional view in the west today) - Annihilation (Destruction - cease to exist) - Reconciliation (Even after death, potential to be reconciled with our creator)

Anyway, that's one.
How about you? Have you changed/modified/transitioned any of your previously held stances?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ceeboo wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:48 pm
Have you changed/modified/transitioned any of your previously held stances?
Craisins in salads no longer seem as bad a mix as I used to think.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey again A-Mike
Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:28 pm
As a Mormon I don't like being called a christian
I don't think I have ever heard this from a Mormon before. Interesting.
nothing against christians, I just think Mormonism trying to fit inside the tent of Christianity will make Mormonism irrelevant.
I don't think I have ever heard this perspective from a Mormon before either. :) Again, very interesting.

Thanks for sharing!
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey Cakes!!!
canpakes wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:56 pm
ceeboo wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:48 pm
Have you changed/modified/transitioned any of your previously held stances?
Craisins in salads no longer seem as bad a mix as I used to think.
LOL :)
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hi Ceebs, good to hear from you. I hope you and your family are doing well.

You ask a great question, but I’m not sure I can answer. My changes in position/stance tend to be gradual and I’m not sure I always notice them happening. I don’t have a belief system with lots of specifics, like your hell example. My stances on big picture issues are pretty general. So there’s lots of room for me to drift around without experiencing that drift as change.

In general, I think I’ve drifted more toward elements of Buddhist philosophy over the past couple of years, especially the notions of the self being an illusion and universal suffering. It helps me focus on things I have in common with my fellow humans instead of focusing on the differences.

I am, however, as dug in as ever on the raccoon/whale issue. :lol:

Seeing a post from you made my morning. I hope that you and your family are well.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.