Freedom and Biology

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Freedom and Biology

Post by MeDotOrg »

When the AIDS epidemic really started hitting San Francisco, there was tremendous pressure to shut down the bath houses, which were primarily gay. The opposition to closing the bath houses in the early days of AIDS was strong and well-funded by a lot of the bath house owners. At the time, bathhouses were seen as symbols of gay liberation, and it was fairly easy to inflame the debate by saying that closing the bath houses was a step back into the closet after some hard fought gains.

The AIDS virus didn't give a crap. It was only too happy to hitch a ride in anybody, regardless of their sexual politics. People let their paranoia and financial interests turn the bath houses into a fertile breeding ground for AIDS until the bath houses were shut down. ​

Pandemics and Epidemics require prophylactic measures. Some people will try to make political hay out of a biological reality. Just as some gay activists looked past the biology and saw only potentially lost political ground, some activists now see this as the first steps to taking away guns, or a general erosion of freedom.

Let's say that you really want to live the New Hampshire Motto: Live Free Or Die. Just live it all the way. If you feel your freedom is more important than the potential risk to your health, that's okay, so long as your decision does not adversely affect the medical infrastructure for the rest of us, who want to live as cowardly slaves to the best medical advice. In short, if you choose to Live Free, choose to live with the consequences. If you get Covid after refusing to get a shot in the name of freedom, recover at home with a couple of mustard poultices. Failure to recover activates the Or Die part of the motto.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Chap
God

Re: Freedom and Biology

Post by Chap »

It is good to hear from a real American who understands what it means to put into practice those inspiring words 'Give me liberty, or give me death". That last paragraph sets it all out so clearly. And of course one must be willing to share the honour of dying for freedom with others!

That's why I come to this board.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

If you feel your freedom is more important than the potential risk to your health, that's okay, so long as your decision does not adversely affect the medical infrastructure for the rest of us,
People who refuse the covid vaccine shouldn't be given medicaid or medicare either nor should drug addicts in my opinion.

How motivated should people be to get the vaccine when government bureaucrats at the CDC tell them based on no scientific evidence that they still need to mask up everywhere and take unpaid leave from work to avoid spreading the virus to people who have had the opportunity to be vaccinated?
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Cultellus wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:39 pm
Chap wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:30 am
It is good to hear from a real American who understands what it means to put into practice those inspiring words 'Give me liberty, or give me death". That last paragraph sets it all out so clearly. And of course one must be willing to share the honour of dying for freedom with others!

That's why I come to this board.
What if someone does not get a Covid vaccine in the name of their favorite character in Warriors, the movie with the DJ and the gangs and the clanging bottles? Is that the same as not getting it in the name of freedom?

But what if someone does get the vaccine in the name of sacrifice, service, Joe Biden is my President, love, duty, climate change, Greta, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Garth Brooks, Jesse Pinkman guy and Hellboy guy but they still get covid - does that mean all those named people suck?
Silly talk,

Oh that is right you only play at silly talk.