Non-politics and irreligious thread for Jersey Girl

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ceeboo
God

Re: Non-politics and irreligious thread for Jersey Girl

Post by ceeboo »

Those pictures are beautiful. Wow! Thanks to those who posted them.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:07 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:31 am
Does anyone grow micro greens? If so, how hard are they to develop? I've been eating them like it's my job over here. Does it cost much to grow them in terms of equipment?
My wife grows micro greens in a mat that's about a 1/4" thick, no dirt. Hydroponic multi greens are really simple to grow. If you get really high tech you can water them with a timer and just check on them once a day to make sure there's no mold growing. I grow wheat grass and barley for my rabbits hydroponically. Also really simple. I buy a 50lbs bag of wheat from a feed store for $11 and it will last about a month. It will yield me about 450lbs of wheat grass if I let it grow to about 6 or 7 inches tall. Wheat grass is great for shakes also if you want to try it.
What about the seed quilts you put in a container of water to grow? Do those do well? They look kind of pricey on Amazon. I'd try to buy locally. I know some of the stores here sell microgreens. I bought mine from a vendor. I can feel myself slowly getting addicted to them so I want to prepare for total addiction to kick in and figure out if I want to try growing them over winter. Seems like it would be more economical to grow my own. At the rate I'm eating them, I'll go broke before it's all said and done.

I have grow lights. From what I've read you don't really need them.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:17 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:07 am

My wife grows micro greens in a mat that's about a 1/4" thick, no dirt. Hydroponic multi greens are really simple to grow. If you get really high tech you can water them with a timer and just check on them once a day to make sure there's no mold growing. I grow wheat grass and barley for my rabbits hydroponically. Also really simple. I buy a 50lbs bag of wheat from a feed store for $11 and it will last about a month. It will yield me about 450lbs of wheat grass if I let it grow to about 6 or 7 inches tall. Wheat grass is great for shakes also if you want to try it.
What about the seed quilts you put in a container of water to grow? Do those do well? They look kind of pricey on Amazon. I'd try to buy locally. I know some of the stores here sell microgreens. I bought mine from a vendor. I can feel myself slowly getting addicted to them so I want to prepare for total addiction to kick in and figure out if I want to try growing them over winter. Seems like it would be more economical to grow my own. At the rate I'm eating them, I'll go broke before it's all said and done.

I have grow lights. From what I've read you don't really need them.
Don't really need grow lights and you don't really need the seed quilts either. A wet paper towel will do the trick.

Here's how I grow my grass, my wife does the same thing with greens. I rinse the seeds thoroughly, at least 2 or 3 times or until the water is fairly clear. This time of year because it hot, I soak my seeds overnight with just enough water to cover them. I'll add a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to the water and that helps kill anything that would produce mold over the growing period. I have a watering system set up that waters for me 3x a day. Fresh water is key to keep the mold away, especially in the summertime. If you don't want to use a watering system, I find the two tray method a great way to go. The top tray where the seeds rest has 1/16" holes drilled in the bottom and the bottom tray has no holes allowing the water to collect. I usually have to empty the trays once every two days if I don't over water.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Jersey Girl, you ever tried growing mung beans sprouts? They're great! Also sunflower and lentil sprouts.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:46 pm
Jersey Girl, you ever tried growing mung beans sprouts? They're great! Also sunflower and lentil sprouts.
Yes I have. I think the microgreens are much tastier than sprouts.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:58 am
Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:46 pm
Yes I have. I think the microgreens are much tastier than sprouts.
I asked my wife where she gets her seeds for you and she buys in bulk. She'll buy a lot of mixes that cost around $50 to $65 for 10lbs. Individual seeds like broccoli cost $60 to $70 for 10lbs. She says she probably spent $350 for seeds last year and that was enough for 6 of us and a few others. She uses toddsseeds and a place here local