Non-politics and irreligious thread for Jersey Girl

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ceeboo
God

Re: Non-politics and irreligious thread for Jersey Girl

Post by ceeboo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:22 pm
........you sharing that story makes me want to deliberately do something altruistic today
This is more than just a little interesting to me because I had the exact same desire. I wonder if there has ever been some sort of scientific human study (or some such similar thing called something else) where they staged a situation like the one I described in my post and repeated it several times with a variety of people. I wonder if simply witnessing such an interaction, between two perfect strangers, would cause similar reactions from various witnesses.
and that’s the unintended consequence of his distant, to me, act of charity.
Yeah - I personally saw it as an act of charity as well and I don't think there is any doubt that it created an unintended consequence - Because my reaction and/or how it effected me clearly lends support to this unintended consequence suggestion you make.

Interesting.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Lem wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:15 pm
How are the gardening and planting opportunities? If I recall correctly, that was a big part of your last home, and lots of fun to read about, if you’re interested in sharing again.
It’s really good. Last year during a particularly strong wind storm I guess one of my trash trees broke and damaged a neighbor’s garage - I received a notice from the insurer that a claim had been made that they denied since it fell under an ‘act of god’. We had couple renting the place so I didn’t really get a good sense of our space since I had only been on the property a couple of times. Anyway, we met the neighbor when we were up here in June and he expressed annoyance with the trees, rightfully so since they were all Chinese elms and are essentially weeds. We had all the trees taken down, but asked that the arborist leave all the wood and mulch on site. We have 130’ and 80’ along our boundary lines we’re going to use as a garden, and the tree material will be incorporated as hugelkulture:

https://www.almanac.com/what-hugelkultu ... raised-bed

Our planned ‘urban farm’ will be a mix of vegetables and pollinator plants. I’m really excited about the challenge, To be honest. I learned a lot over the last five years transforming my space in SLC into a low water and xeriscaped garden, so I’m going to have some best practices I’ll be able to immediately employ. Along the front of our property we’re going to build a tiny vineyard and park strip native plants along these lines:

https://www.gardendesign.com/day-trips/salt-lake-city/

I flipped my strip years ago, but planted double knockout roses:

which were pretty, but not very useful for pollinators. That’s something I always regretted doing, so moving forward I’m thinking of my space as an oasis for life, a way station for the things we need to maintain balance with the mechanisms of life. It’s sounds kind of hippy’ish, but there’s wisdom there.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Hugelkulture and Back to Eden are both popular methods in my online gardening club. Where are the chickens?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:36 pm
Hugelkulture and Back to Eden are both popular methods in my online gardening club. Where are the chickens?
The ones that weren’t killed by predators were rehomed into good situations. We were going to leave the last four in situ for the new home owner, but a skunk decided to up and kill one of our old timers and live under the shed. It’s crazy because we thought we were doing the right thing by leaving them there so we wouldn’t traumatize them with a move, but a skunk killed our Brahma chicken, Brienne of Tarth. She looked very similar to these ladies:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ceeboo wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:38 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:37 am
I’ll offer a respite from our ‘forever war’ and just chit chat.
Awesome and thanks for the thread CAM. (Congrats on the new house)
So. Yeah. If you feel like posting something that isn’t political or religious, the floor is yours.
Not a real important or interesting story but it just happened a few days ago and I thought it was really cool.

A few days back, I was checking out at a grocery store - I was about 4 people back from the register. The person who was at the register checking out didn't have that many items - He placed his item on the belt and a young lady started ringing him up. When his items were all scanned he put his card in the machine to pay. This is when I noticed some conversation/confusion between the employee and the customer. A few minutes go by and then they started removing things from his bagged items and placed them on a counter behind the register. Because of this, I now could see that the items that were removed were about 8 cans of Enfamil (Baby formula) - I don't know this but I am pretty sure that the customer was paying with a "government food card" as this is the only thing I can think of that would cause the computers technology to not accept this type of payment for these particular items (I could be wrong, perhaps it was something else but either way it doesn't really change things - the man was leaving without his baby formula)

Then, almost instantly, this happened: The next person in line (a young man I would guess to be around 25 or so) said to the man who was starting to leave "Hey, wait a second" - He told the employee that he wanted all the baby formula that was just removed from the other guy's bags. He paid for all of the formula and proceeded to place it in the other man's cart, didn't say a word about it, and walked out of the store.

When I thought about this young man (who ended up paying about $90.00 for his gallon of milk and a frozen pizza) I smiled.

I wish I could have met this young man - but he was quickly gone.

Anyway, that's the cool story.
A gov't assistance card should pay for formula. I don't know what happened there but good on the man who paid for the formula! As for acts of altruism in general, we humans are wired to connect to the benefit of our own survival. Maslow's hierarchy of human needs--we need to feel a sense of belonging. We begin bonding at birth (I say pre-birth but that's just me). The bonding process is a huge part of our ability and need to survive. During the continuum process of bonding (if our own needs have been met) we develop empathy and that is what helps to connect us to others and ensure our collective survival.

We're meant to help others and yes, it feels good to meet the needs of others. On some level it empowers us, raises our self esteem, our self confidence, it feeds that part of us that thinks we can achieve more. And so, we often do. :-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

If I didn't notice a while back how Cam uploaded pics on this board, I would never be able to do this. Here's Maslow's hierachy of human needs...a.k.a. Maslow's Pyramid. Read it from the bottom moving up. You can see how when needs are met the result is a healthy self actualized human being. People who are self actualized are what you want in this world. For lack of a better descriptor, we're talking about functional human beings that contribute to ensuring the survival of the species.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:36 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:36 pm
The ones that weren’t killed by predators were rehomed into good situations. We were going to leave the last four in situ for the new home owner, but a skunk decided to up and kill one of our old timers and live under the shed. It’s crazy because we thought we were doing the right thing by leaving them there so we wouldn’t traumatize them with a move, but a skunk killed our Brahma chicken, Brienne of Tarth. She looked very similar to these ladies:

- Doc
To quote the students at the Boulder Journey School, based on the Reggio Emilia Approach developed in Italy, where child dictation is part of the process of documenting development ...

"We loved them chickens like they were human babies"~ BJS Preschoolers :cry: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slava Ukraini!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:43 pm
If I didn't notice a while back how Cam uploaded pics on this board, I would never be able to do this. Here's Maslow's hierachy of human needs...a.k.a. Maslow's Pyramid. Read it from the bottom moving up. You can see how when needs are met the result is a healthy self actualized human being. People who are self actualized are what you want in this world. For lack of a better descriptor, we're talking about functional human beings that contribute to ensuring the survival of the species.
Jersey Girl, your image might not be posting, so I’m adding one here.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I can still see the image but thanks for pumping it up like that!

Slava Ukraini!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:17 pm
I flipped my strip years ago, but planted double knockout roses:

which were pretty, but not very useful for pollinators. That’s something I always regretted doing, so moving forward I’m thinking of my space as an oasis for life, a way station for the things we need to maintain balance with the mechanisms of life. It’s sounds kind of hippy’ish, but there’s wisdom there.

- Doc
Doc, if that’s an actual image of the end result of your strip conversion, I’d say that it looks great.

Regarding pollinators, may I ask what quadrant of the state you’ll be relocating to? Asking given the huge differences in climate between them, and how that’ll determine planting choices.

I’ve been experimenting with pollinator and hummingbird-friendly plants over the last couple of years since converting our strip. The poppies are coming into ‘round 2’ after our light rainstorms, and some of the penstemon are proving more dependable/adaptable than others. Size and color differences within the family are great. A current favorite are the electric blue ‘Wasatch’ type.

Watching a thousand bees do their thing in the midst of a full bloom of poppies is pretty relaxing. : )