Codify Thread Starter Rights and Get a Mod Team

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Codify Thread Starter Rights and Get a Mod Team

Post by Jersey Girl »

Hello All,

This board once had thread starter rights wherein the thread starter could keep their thread on topic by asking people who were posting off topic to depart the thread and start a new thread for their own purposes.

Would anyone be in favor of codifying thread starter rights into the Board Rules? Pros? Cons? General opinions on this?
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
canpakes
God

Re: Codify Thread Starter Rights

Post by canpakes »

Do the rights allow the thread starter power to remove posts, or just the ability to request a moderator to do so, under the mod’s review and approval?

I can see distinct advantages, especially for the last few weeks where a board participant contributes nothing to the thread other than harassment and the thread starter wants to weed out that useless content, but also see that the feature could be abused if used without review to merely protect content from legitimate challenge.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:47 am
Do the rights allow the thread starter power to remove posts, or just the ability to request a moderator to do so, under the mod’s review and approval?

I can see distinct advantages, especially for the last few weeks where a board participant contributes nothing to the thread other than harassment and the thread starter wants to weed out that useless content, but also see that the feature could be abused if used without review to merely protect content from legitimate challenge.
What we once had was the right to ask posters who were posting off topic to take it elsewhere. This was as a courtesy to the thread starter to maintain the integrity of their topic.

If the person refused to leave the thread, they could be reported to the mod team. It has the ability to prevent the mod team from having to perform splits.

Mod team is another issue that I think needs to be addressed around here. We essentially have no mod team. The threads that I see that are being driven off topic are too far gone to request a split to start with. Even so, there is no one on duty to catch a potential split before it becomes cumbersome.

Example: Someone is basically calling out another poster on your thread. You can ask them to start a new thread for that purpose. Truly, some of us who have been around here a long time still tend to abide by that policy.

So...
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I've made a command decision ;-) to add the need for a functional mod team to this thread. I don't know what's happening in Terrestrial or other forums. I'm basing my requests on observations made here in Paradise.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Codify Thread Starter Rights and Get a Mod Team

Post by Jersey Girl »

We're down to one moderator who is hardly ever here. Gadianton isn't a moderator. In my opinion, the Paradise Forum is turning into Lord of the Flies on account of the fact that we don't have a functional mod team in place. I don't expect to see the board covered 24/7 but I would like to see it be moderated according to the Board Rules that are in place.

That isn't happening right now and we shouldn't have to wade through garbage to read the topics when there are Board Rules that cover most offenses that take place here.

Slava Ukraini!
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:22 am
Hello All,

This board once had thread starter rights wherein the thread starter could keep their thread on topic by asking people who were posting off topic to depart the thread and start a new thread for their own purposes.

Would anyone be in favor of codifying thread starter rights into the Board Rules? Pros? Cons? General opinions on this?
I've been pushing for this for many years. But Shades appears to think it's tyranny to disallow trolls absolute freedom of speech at any time.
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Cultellus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:34 am
Icarus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:24 am

I've been pushing for this for many years. But Shades appears to think it's tyranny to disallow trolls absolute freedom of speech at any time.
shut up Icarus. If you have an issue with trolls, debate better.

Since you're a troll, you don't debate anything. You troll. That's your job. Because you cannot argue for any position you hold dear. The evidence doesn't support you.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Icarus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:43 am
Cultellus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:34 am

shut up Icarus. If you have an issue with trolls, debate better.

Since you're a troll, you don't debate anything. You troll. That's your job. Because you cannot argue for any position you hold dear. The evidence doesn't support you.
Lol. He’s had the chance to engage so many posts, but the only thing that he’s capable of is sounding off like a pouty 12-year old. Nice to see him here making Jersey Girl’s case, though. : D
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:47 am

That's pretty well my position.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Wouldn't it be simpler just to abandon this forum than to request a change?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace