Codify Thread Starter Rights and Get a Mod Team

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Codify Thread Starter Rights and Get a Mod Team

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl, I’m not intending to argue against moderation. Doxxing is a good example of something that users cannot fix (other than by not doxxing). But Shades is reading the board and I expect that would respond to notices of doxxing in a timely fashion.

I’m not sure we need a team, especially if us old timers are willing to follow the rules.
Last edited by Res Ipsa on Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:45 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:54 am

I wonder if this kind of LDS behavior is any sort of indictment on the claim that Mormonism refines you, makes you a better person? I mean, is it enough to get dunked and pretend to slit your own throat in the temple, but you can act this way? If so, what’s the point? Is Mormonism simply a ‘check the box’ religion, where your salvation isn’t dependent on personal behavior? Weird.

eta: I suppose with outing Russell M. Nelson as an abject liar, we’re shown Mormonism doesn’t really do anything for you on a personal level. Between the prophet being a liar, and Atlantic Mike’s vulgarities and misogyny, Mormonism is a pretty toxic philosophy.

- Doc
You know I actually took some time to think about cultural considerations. I've decided that I can't rightly condemn an entire religious system and it's culture based on the dysfunction of one individual. It's just not possible for me to do that.

I'm not sure how to explain the repeated Nazi related remarks.
The Nazi related remarks are easy to understand. Some of your buddies like to call Ajax and Trump supporters Nazis. So I started calling you guys Nazis, how did it feel? Did it make you uncomfortable at all?
You've been reading dysfunction on this forum way before I came along. Somehow you're not calling out your buddies for calling posters assholes, mother "F"s, Nazis, cxxts, retards and so on. But I come along and turn the volume up full blast and all of a sudden the board has gone to crap😂😂. News flash!! It was like that before I got here! Apparently you don't like how I'm bringing the dysfunction to the surface for everyone to see.
It's almost as if you guys take a certain amount of pride in demeaning the character of people who don't think or act like you do. You know you have the numbers here to gang up on any one or even two individuals who might come along and say hey, we want to post here also, can we do that without being insulted personally? You guys are like a pack of hyenas that attack at the same time. All I've done is come along and call out your BS.
I guarantee anyone reading this doesn't or wouldn't insult someone to their face personally while going through the course of their day. So why do it here? Is it because you're behind a keyboard? Does it make you feel big? Tough? Are you releasing pent-up anger? What is it? What's wrong with me asking for people to stop the personal insults? Go ahead and cuss Trump, Biden Mormonism, , atheist and so on. But do it without insulting posters personally, is that to much to ask? Is it that you've grown comfortable talking to the same people for so many years on here now you're unwilling to change? Can you not see that you guys insulting people and pushing new posters away has caused this conundrum? It was only a matter of time till an asshole like me came along and called you guys out.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:31 pm
Jersey Girl, I not intending to argue against moderation. Doxxing is a good example of something that users cannot fix (other than by not doxxing). But Shades is reading the board and I expect that would respond to notices of doxxing in a timely fashion.

I’m not sure we need a team, especially if us old timers are willing to follow the rules.
This board is about as big as it was in the beginning when we had a functional mod team so on that count I simply disagree with your last.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Cultellus wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:34 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:08 pm

This board is about as big as it was in the beginning when we had a functional mod team so on that count I simply disagree with your last.
Would anyone want the responsibility or moderating these animals? They are one triggered moment away from doxing, per your anecdotes. And they are itching to insult the crap out of someone and call them a cocksucker (meant pejoratively) or a woman with tubes (meant pejoratively). Who in their right mind would want that responsibility?
Wait, you're not a woman?
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:07 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:07 pm

I'm afraid what you're seeing is the consequence of failure to enforce the fairly minimal rules this site has. The breakdown started well before the entrance of our two new, active members, but they have significantly accelerated the problems. We could remedy 90% of the problems by conforming our behavior to the rules, especially the rule against derailing and the civility rules. If you want to insult or troll someone, do it in telestial or prison. If someone derails or insults anywhere else, ignore them. If they are repeat offenders, use the foe function and completely ignore them. Don't give them the dopamine hits they crave.

The other thing that will allow substantive discussions in paradise to resume is to address rules issues in separate threads, like this very. Nothing derails a substantive discussion faster than a pie fight over the rules. We all know how to discuss the substance of a thread's topic. If you want to call out a rules issue, start another thread and link to it from the substantive thread. It's not hard. It takes only a little effort.

The long-timers here could restore prison to a place for interesting discussions of non-Mormon topics by re-reading the rules and conforming their own behavior to the sprit, if not the letter, of the rules. A moderator won't be able to fix the situation unless we're willing to modify to conform our own behavior to the rules.
I can't disagree with any of the above. I have no problem ignoring the hysterical ravings of posters cravenly seeking attention. It's the exact right approach for adults to use when confronted with tantrum. I have too much experience with that technique. :lol:

Anyway, I'll admit that parts of my online experience yesterday were fun. It was a rainy day here, what can I tell you.

Back on the horse and ride, I say.
whaddaya know, it was raining here too! But in the long run, yes, tantruming trolls are best ignored, especially when their strategy has been outed.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

The. Queue.

We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:31 pm
Jersey Girl, I not intending to argue against moderation. Doxxing is a good example of something that users cannot fix (other than by not doxxing). But Shades is reading the board and I expect that would respond to notices of doxxing in a timely fashion.

I may have said that poorly. Based on my own experience, one moderator is probably sufficient.
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:54 am
Jersey Girl wrote:

I may have said that poorly. Based on my own experience, one moderator is probably sufficient.
With all due respect, we wouldn't be having this conversation if one moderator were sufficient.

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

With equal respect, I don’t classify Shades as a mere moderator. He’s the big cheese or the grand poobah, or the founder or something. ;)
he/him

Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Shades is a big picture moderator. He sets Jubilees, splits off important threads and eliminates in real life threats that might cause legal Issues. The every day tasks of moderation don’t seem to interest him. And he seems very entertained by trolls, so all in all, I’d have to agree with Jersey Girl that in this case, our one “moderator,” whatever you decide to call him, isn’t the same as having a moderated board.