Codify Thread Starter Rights and Get a Mod Team

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Atlanticmike
God

Re: Codify Thread Starter Rights and Get a Mod Team

Post by Atlanticmike »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:07 pm
Moksha wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:30 pm

I asked because I think something is going wrong with this forum. In truth, I don't think Dr. Shades will do anything about it, but I wanted to register my concern.
I'm afraid what you're seeing is the consequence of failure to enforce the fairly minimal rules this site has. The breakdown started well before the entrance of our two new, active members, but they have significantly accelerated the problems. We could remedy 90% of the problems by conforming our behavior to the rules, especially the rule against derailing and the civility rules. If you want to insult or troll someone, do it in telestial or prison. If someone derails or insults anywhere else, ignore them. If they are repeat offenders, use the foe function and completely ignore them. Don't give them the dopamine hits they crave.

The other thing that will allow substantive discussions in paradise to resume is to address rules issues in separate threads, like this very. Nothing derails a substantive discussion faster than a pie fight over the rules. We all know how to discuss the substance of a thread's topic. If you want to call out a rules issue, start another thread and link to it from the substantive thread. It's not hard. It takes only a little effort.

The long-timers here could restore prison to a place for interesting discussions of non-Mormon topics by re-reading the rules and conforming their own behavior to the sprit, if not the letter, of the rules. A moderator won't be able to fix the situation unless we're willing to modify to conform our own behavior to the rules.
Dang, we are so close to agreeing res lpsa!! Like I said, I don't speak for the other guy, but as for me, if you ask the "long timers" here on spirit paradise to stop insulting posters so others can join in in a few weeks or months then I'll calm down, today, half your problem solved just like that. Easy peasy!! I'll be the best Mormon boy you've ever encountered. But!! I will not be insulted because there's 3 or 4 stubborn posters who have grown accustomed to insulting new posters who don't agree with their liberal stance.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I'm wondering whether this board with its freedoms is like placing two Mormons in a motorboat with a cooler of beer: They will drink till they crash the boat into the rocks.

There is no doubt that Cam and Schmo have been potty mouths at times and have said hurtful things to Ajax, but other times they have been nice. I think Ajax sets himself up with his Klan rhetoric.

As to taking constant swipes against those who express thoughts contrary to contemporary Mormon conservatism, it is best to go easy and not make your replies personal. Talk to the ideas rather than employ one-on-one apologetic combat techniques.

I remember the opening days of this board when two of the women from MAD came over and would pepper their sentences with juvenile swear words. It was a hoot. Think they may have called themselves Thumper and Dumpsy. Jersey Girl perhaps remembers it with more details. The thing is even Thumper and Dumpsy had a limit because they did not hold the Priesthood and thus were not on a mission for God.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Cultellus wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:42 pm
Moksha wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:40 pm

There is no doubt that Cam and Schmo have been potty mouths at times and have said hurtful things to Ajax, but other times they have been nice. I think Ajax sets himself up with his Klan rhetoric.
You are a pissboy too.
When you say stuff like that, I feel you will be a constant thorn in the side of everyone till you make up with Calm and Juliann and they let you be retranslated. Get nasty enough and you could produce a podcast with the El who should not be named.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:56 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
If they are repeat offenders, use the foe function and completely ignore them. Don't give them the dopamine hits they crave.
This is the real solution. Given the activity lately, using the foe feature really cleans up the threads.

Show you are better off without them. Use the foe feature today!
Well, it might be a solution. As it requires people to behave in ways they aren't used to behaving, it may not be a practical one. But, at this point, if we want to have meaningful, substantive discussions in paradise, we have precious few options.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
I'm wondering whether this board with its freedoms is like placing two Mormons in a motorboat with a cooler of beer: They will drink till they crash the boat into the rocks.

As to taking constant swipes against those who express thoughts contrary to contemporary Mormon conservatism, it is best to go easy and not make your replies personal. Talk to the ideas rather than employ one-on-one apologetic combat techniques.

I remember the opening days of this board when two of the women from MAD came over and would pepper their sentences with juvenile swear words. It was a hoot. Think they may have called themselves Thumper and Dumpsy. Jersey Girl perhaps remembers it with more details. The thing is even Thumper and Dumpsy had a limit because they did not hold the Priesthood and thus were not on a mission for God.
I think you've mixed up the analogy. If two Mormons are in a boat with a cooler of beer, the beer goes to waste. One Mormon in a boat is a different question. ;)

One of the things that I've always thought about this particular site is the lack of forgiveness of past sins. in my opinion, it has a toxic effect on the discourse here. It doesn't matter what Ajax posts here, he will always be the Nazi guy who posted some horrible stuff on Stormfront. When push comes to shove, Schmo will have his use of the "c word" dragged up and thrown in his face. Each of us has some past sin or sins that, in a heated discussion, someone will drag up. This place is exceptionally bad at giving people room to change and grow. Except for former LDS apologists -- they seem to get the pass that the rest of folks deserve, too.
he/him

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:55 pm
Well, it might be a solution. As it requires people to behave in ways they aren't used to behaving, it may not be a practical one.
I suppose. I guess I was thinking it's the best solution if your aim is to ignore people spending all their spare time trying to disrupt a board they pretend they don't care about. I haven't seen a post from either of them that I feel I'd have been missing out had I not seen it.

I've never put ajax on ignore, because at least he appears to think he's actually contributing. I basically use ajax to get the current temperature of the GOP base.
But, at this point, if we want to have meaningful, substantive discussions in paradise, we have precious few options.
Exactly.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:04 pm
Moksha wrote:
I think you've mixed up the analogy. If two Mormons are in a boat with a cooler of beer, the beer goes to waste. One Mormon in a boat is a different question. ;)
Not if they both have a hankering for the beer or for posting in a disruptive manner. The chill factor of someone reporting them to the bishop and having their planetary acquisition rights suspended does not apply on this board. There is always the defense that they were being ogres for the Lord. Actually. Trump has popularized ogre status.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:32 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:04 pm

Not if they both have a hankering for the beer or for posting in a disruptive manner. The chill factor of someone reporting them to the bishop and having their planetary acquisition rights suspended does not apply on this board. There is always the defense that they were being ogres for the Lord. Actually. Trump has popularized ogre status.
Can't argue with that, penguin.
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Moksha wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:30 pm

I asked because I think something is going wrong with this forum. In truth, I don't think Dr. Shades will do anything about it, but I wanted to register my concern.
I'm afraid what you're seeing is the consequence of failure to enforce the fairly minimal rules this site has. The breakdown started well before the entrance of our two new, active members, but they have significantly accelerated the problems. We could remedy 90% of the problems by conforming our behavior to the rules, especially the rule against derailing and the civility rules. If you want to insult or troll someone, do it in telestial or prison. If someone derails or insults anywhere else, ignore them. If they are repeat offenders, use the foe function and completely ignore them. Don't give them the dopamine hits they crave.

The other thing that will allow substantive discussions in paradise to resume is to address rules issues in separate threads, like this very. Nothing derails a substantive discussion faster than a pie fight over the rules. We all know how to discuss the substance of a thread's topic. If you want to call out a rules issue, start another thread and link to it from the substantive thread. It's not hard. It takes only a little effort.

The long-timers here could restore prison to a place for interesting discussions of non-Mormon topics by re-reading the rules and conforming their own behavior to the sprit, if not the letter, of the rules. A moderator won't be able to fix the situation unless we're willing to modify to conform our own behavior to the rules.
I can't disagree with any of the above. I have no problem ignoring the hysterical ravings of posters cravenly seeking attention. It's the exact right approach for adults to use when confronted with tantrum. I have too much experience with that technique. :lol:

Anyway, I'll admit that parts of my online experience yesterday were fun. It was a rainy day here, what can I tell you.

Back on the horse and ride, I say.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:55 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:56 pm

This is the real solution. Given the activity lately, using the foe feature really cleans up the threads.

Show you are better off without them. Use the foe feature today!
Well, it might be a solution. As it requires people to behave in ways they aren't used to behaving, it may not be a practical one. But, at this point, if we want to have meaningful, substantive discussions in paradise, we have precious few options.
I think we still need to get up a new mod team here. If I am not mistaken, I raised the issue of doxing on this very thread. It's not okay to allow someone's in real life to sit here unattended to for days on end.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!