Codify Thread Starter Rights and Get a Mod Team

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Atlanticmike
God

Re: Codify Thread Starter Rights and Get a Mod Team

Post by Atlanticmike »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:22 am
Hello All,

This board once had thread starter rights wherein the thread starter could keep their thread on topic by asking people who were posting off topic to depart the thread and start a new thread for their own purposes.

Would anyone be in favor of codifying thread starter rights into the Board Rules? Pros? Cons? General opinions on this?
Here's a GRAND idea! First, let's stop insulting each other. I've read 1000s of older post here on paradise and it seems there's definitely a handful of posters who get their kicks by insulting posters personally every chance they get. Go read what posters say about Ajax. Or the poster ed1 I think his name is.

Look at Huckleberry and I talking back and forth. We can communicate without insults. I call him sir, say thank you. I'm willing to do that with anyone on this forum. But you still have three posters at least that want to insult posters personally, Doc cam, schmo and Icarus. Jersey Girl, I would suggest talking to them personally and asking them to stop insulting posters personally. I guarantee you they don't insult people personally to their face during the course of the day. Question is, why do they do it here?

Jersey Girl, reading through some of your post you and I have a lot of the same interest, try talking to me, I don't bite. Maybe ask cultellus a few questions. Why do I say this? There's a huuuuge divide on this board!! It's two camps right now, either your far left or far right, at least that's how it seems if you actually read through the threads. It's ridiculous!!

Maybe we should stop blaming Dr shades and fix it ourselves. Let's start by not insulting each other personally!!! See how that goes. I've asked for that for the past two weeks. Let's find some middle ground and work from there. Is this unreasonable????
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:37 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:22 am
Hello All,

This board once had thread starter rights wherein the thread starter could keep their thread on topic by asking people who were posting off topic to depart the thread and start a new thread for their own purposes.

Would anyone be in favor of codifying thread starter rights into the Board Rules? Pros? Cons? General opinions on this?
Here's a GRAND idea! First, let's stop insulting each other. I've read 1000s of older post here on paradise and it seems there's definitely a handful of posters who get their kicks by insulting posters personally every chance they get. Go read what posters say about Ajax. Or the poster ed1 I think his name is.
Look at Huckleberry and I talking back and forth. We can communicate without insults. I call him sir, say thank you. I'm willing to do that with anyone on this forum. But you still have three posters at least that want to insult posters personally, Doc cam, schmo and Icarus. Jersey Girl, I would suggest talking to them personally and asking them to stop insulting posters personally. I guarantee you they don't insult people personally to their face during the course of the day. Question is, why do they do it here?
Jersey Girl, reading through some of your post you and I have a lot of the same interest, try talking to me, I don't bite. Maybe ask cultellus a few questions. Why do I say this? There's a huuuuge divide on this board!! It's two camps right now, either your far left or far right, at least that's how it seems if you actually read through the threads. It's ridiculous!!
Maybe we should stop blaming Dr shades and fix it ourselves. Let's start by not insulting each other personally!!! See how that goes. I've asked for that for the past two weeks. Let's find some middle ground and work from there. Is this unreasonable????
Ajax is an avowed Nazi. He won't admit it here but years ago he was busted when one of the posters here found him posting on Stormfront, a notorious Nazi board. Some of the direct quotations that came from him are nothing short of hideous. Even his own moniker is just a code for Hitler.

18 is code for Adolf Hitler. The number comes from the position of the letters in the alphabet (1=A and 8=H). It’s commonly associated with the British white supremacist group Combat 18 or C18. - https://smallstepsconsultants.com/the-f ... ght-codes/
But yeah, go ahead and complain that your kindred spirit is being persecuted here.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Icarus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:04 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:37 am

Ajax is an avowed Nazi. He won't admit it here but years ago he was busted when one of the posters here found him posting on Stormfront, a notorious Nazi board. Some of the direct quotations that came from him are nothing short of hideous. Even his own moniker is just a code for Hitler.

18 is code for Adolf Hitler. The number comes from the position of the letters in the alphabet (1=A and 8=H). It’s commonly associated with the British white supremacist group Combat 18 or C18. - https://smallstepsconsultants.com/the-f ... ght-codes/
But yeah, go ahead and complain that your kindred spirit is being persecuted here.
I've still never talked to Ajax. But if that's what you believe then just talk to the guy, let's find out what he believes.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:16 pm
I've still never talked to Ajax. But if that's what you believe then just talk to the guy, let's find out what he believes.
Quite a few people have had exchanges with Ajax18 on this board. Most of us have a fairly clear idea of what he believes as a result of that process.

It's not exactly a two-way dialogue, because if you post anything by way of comment on his post, he just ignores it and gives us another Breitbart cut and paste on a different topic. As a result I am sorry to say that some people have ceased to take him seriously.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Cultellus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:30 pm
Oh, I see. People do not take him seriously because he posts links without comment? Or he posts memes for a single ideology without any dialogue or credibility?
No. It's more that he posts a claim about black people, welfare recipients or immigrants, and then ignores any post that offers evidence against that claim.

He simply goes on to make a claim about a different group that he has a problem with.

He seems to be in 'output only' mode, which is not an interesting or engaging way to participate in this forum. It also raises the suspicion that he is simply pasting material without reading it himself. Hence he is not taken seriously.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Chap wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:39 pm
Cultellus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:30 pm
Oh, I see. People do not take him seriously because he posts links without comment? Or he posts memes for a single ideology without any dialogue or credibility?
No. It's more that he posts a claim about black people, welfare recipients or immigrants, and then ignores any post that offers evidence against that claim.

He simply goes on to make a claim about a different group that he has a problem with.

He seems to be in 'output only' mode, which is not an interesting or engaging way to participate in this forum. It also raises the suspicion that he is simply pasting material without reading it himself. Hence he is not taken seriously.
I post videos of black people giving their testimony and let them speak for themselves on a board that is probably 99% white.
I speak out against Progressives so much because you guys rail against conservatives on just about every thread. It seems your ok with the insulting of conservatives while me insulting Progressives gets you a little upset.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Codify Thread Starter Rights

Post by Jersey Girl »

Chap wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:23 am
canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:47 am
Do the rights allow the thread starter power to remove posts, or just the ability to request a moderator to do so, under the mod’s review and approval?

I can see distinct advantages, especially for the last few weeks where a board participant contributes nothing to the thread other than harassment and the thread starter wants to weed out that useless content, but also see that the feature could be abused if used without review to merely protect content from legitimate challenge.
That's pretty well my position.
That part about abusing the feature to protect content from challenge. If the thread starter asks someone to depart the thread because they are offering challenge, the person can petition mods to review the thread.

You need a mod team for that.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I've the rest of the replies here.

Just a couple of things to say here. I spent the first 10 years online on a non-moderated forum with no rules at all. It's not about someone's ability to insult another person. It's about posting on a topical discussion board that does have rules in place. Rules that aren't currently being enforced.

At all.

The only thing that comes close to enforcing the rules is that many or most of us self-regulate. Some do not. For those who do not, they are turning topical threads into pages and pages of back and forth, people piggybacking those exchanges and adding to them, until what was once a topical discussion turns into a crap show.

Example. A poster insults another poster. Some other posters jump on that, turning the thread into an attack on the poster making insults. If you want to call out the poster, the appropriate thing to do is to begin a new thread calling them out. Take it out of the topic and create a new topic to bash or challenge the poster in question.

People are getting caught up in the challenge without considering the fact that in the process, they are driving the thread off topic and thereby crapping on the OP as well as all those who have participated by adding topical content and comments.

It's no secret that some threads naturally unravel after a certain period of time but when the topic can easily be seen as ongoing the topic itself should be respected in order to maintain the integrity of the thread.

So, some of you guys who are turning topics to crap, how about man the hell up and create a new topic instead of burying your objections in an ongoing thread. Thread burial is what cowards do. Stand and deliver instead of damned up somebody else's crap and bash the the hell out of each other if you like. It's all the same to me only don't be surprised if I join you.

with regard to to mod team. We don't have one.

Here's a hypothetical. A poster doxxes you on the board. You report the post or contact admin via private messages. Admin (who is presently the only moderator on the board) isn't here for days. Meanwhile your crap sits there for days for anyone inside or outside the board to use to “F” with you in real life.

We once had up to 4-5 moderators on this board. One by one they left or resigned. harmony's name indicated mod status for years after she left. Our last to go was EA who apparently ditched after decades without informing Shades. What crap is that? So we've got one moderator who is rarely seen here. This brand spanking new board remains unattended to. What a shame that is.

Oh and this. The hypothetical about doxxing and lack of moderation isn't a hypothetical.

This board has a history of addressing issues as a community. That's how the Board Rules developed. This place didn't suddenly go online with board rules in place. We made them as a community as various situations arose. In the old days, I would naturally have posted the OP in Terrestrial. I rarely read Terrestrial any more. I don't know what's going on there. My comments are based solely on what I have seen taking place here in Paradise. They could easily apply to the previous MG situation in Terrestrial that ended up in Jubilee. I say, “F” Jubilee.

We can let this place turn to total crap where posters leave out of frustration or disinterest, or we can restore it to a place that we can all live with.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Cultellus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:16 pm
Interesting.

So this is like Deadwood around here? It is unstructured structure? Or, structured unstructure? Is it like going to Burning Man where the scaffolding is the thing. "No, that is not scaffolding around a thing, the scaffolding is. the. thing. That is the thing."
This thread constitutes a business meeting. If you have something to contribute, please do.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Cultellus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:27 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:18 pm

This thread constitutes a business meeting. If you have something to contribute, please do.
My contribution is this... the more you moderate, the more you narrow the contributions, the more you turn up the volume of the echos.

The only moderation that matters is the moderation that happens among the contributors. Moderation by the principal, teachers and hall monitors is not productive.

That said, it only takes one egregious doxxing situation to unwind everybody's investment. Thanks for the warning on that. This is the second warning I have seen on this board about that stuff. Sounds like y'all have a nuclear weapon that can go off at any minute.
As a matter of fact, we do have a nuclear weapon that can go off at any minute if they have the receipts to do it.

The Board Rules were established over a period of years to address various issues. They were discussed carefully and at length, one by one as situations arose, before they were voted on and codified. Likewise, new nominations for the mod team have also been discussed at length before being brought on as moderators. The Board Rules suffice in nearly every situation possible.

The problem is that there is currently no moderation of the board and newcomers tend not to read through the rules or ask questions about them.

Here. Take my hand...let's say you see a poster pose an off hand remark to another poster such as "How many cocks do you suck in between patients?" You read that and you're like, oh hell no. What a dick. I'm going after that crap.

Instead of responding within the topical thread, you start a new thread titled, I dunno, "Doc Cam is a homo hater", copy the comments that person makes, links included, and you go about your challenge and expose' of Doc Cam's gay bashing or closeted homosexual tendencies and have the hell at him in full public view.

When you follow that protocol, you get to bash the crap out of him, you maintain the integrity of the topical thread the comments came from, and you relieve moderators of having to split off a thread.

The Board Rules aren't here to limit your participation. They are here to establish order and ensure the smooth running of the board. We used to have a suspension and ban rule in place. Now the only things you can get banned for are listed in the rules. If you get banned, you are eternally banned. Only one poster has been eternally banned and resurrected again.

Yours truly,
A Resurrected Being

Slava Ukraini!