Criminal Charges Against Trump?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Criminal Charges Against Trump?

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Chap wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:25 pm
If the writer was just this guy on the internet blogosphere, I would too tend to discount a story that did not name its sources.

But this guy is a reputable journalist working as Washington correspondent for a highly respected international daily, and he has sub-editors and editors over him who care more about the newspaper's reputation than they do about whether he gets his piece in the Guardian today. It is (and always has been) common for reputable journalists to respect the anonymity of their informants by (for instance) referring to 'sources close to the Prime MInister', 'a close friend of Maxwell', or 'informed sources speaking on condition of anonymity'. If they didn't do that, a great deal of reliable and important stuff would never come out in public. In a good newspaper we can expect that if a 'sources' attributed article about Trump gets into print, then someone who knows what they are talking about has confided in the writer of the article. Given the long-term and increasing leakiness of Trump's team (if we can call it that anymore), that is hardly unexpected.
Well. You make a good case with regard to the layered oversight, but it doesn’t really move the needle for me. It reads like wish fulfillment when he’s imagining how Trump is behaving or what Trump is saying. I get the source thing, but it’s a double-edged sword that cuts both ways - a journalist can simply claim they’re respecting anonymity and, knowing human nature as we do, this makes for a tempting abuse of the process.

Also. I’m very cynical when it comes to Trump and holding any of the conspirators accountable for the insurrection. Trump got away with an insane amount of crap that exposed just how fragile the US government is to being abused by bad actors. I don’t think he will ever darken the doorway of a jail cell, and that’s a problem for us if we want to keep our Republic together. So, perhaps I’m allowing my cynicism to color how I read an article like that.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:10 pm
Chap wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:25 pm
If the writer was just this guy on the internet blogosphere, I would too tend to discount a story that did not name its sources.

But this guy is a reputable journalist working as Washington correspondent for a highly respected international daily, and he has sub-editors and editors over him who care more about the newspaper's reputation than they do about whether he gets his piece in the Guardian today. It is (and always has been) common for reputable journalists to respect the anonymity of their informants by (for instance) referring to 'sources close to the Prime MInister', 'a close friend of Maxwell', or 'informed sources speaking on condition of anonymity'. If they didn't do that, a great deal of reliable and important stuff would never come out in public. In a good newspaper we can expect that if a 'sources' attributed article about Trump gets into print, then someone who knows what they are talking about has confided in the writer of the article. Given the long-term and increasing leakiness of Trump's team (if we can call it that anymore), that is hardly unexpected.
Well. You make a good case with regard to the layered oversight, but it doesn’t really move the needle for me. It reads like wish fulfillment when he’s imagining how Trump is behaving or what Trump is saying. I get the source thing, but it’s a double-edged sword that cuts both ways - a journalist can simply claim they’re respecting anonymity and, knowing human nature as we do, this makes for a tempting abuse of the process.
Yup. But like I said, the Washington correspondent of a highly respected international print daily with a reputation to maintain is not a likely candidate for that. That's why I happily send the paper in question (which be it noted has no paywall) an annual sum of money to keep it in being, given the collapse of old-style advertising revenue. These are precious resources that we must preserve for future generations.
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:10 pm
Also. I’m very cynical when it comes to Trump and holding any of the conspirators accountable for the insurrection. Trump got away with an insane amount of crap that exposed just how fragile the US government is to being abused by bad actors. I don’t think he will ever darken the doorway of a jail cell, and that’s a problem for us if we want to keep our Republic together. So, perhaps I’m allowing my cynicism to color how I read an article like that.

- Doc
Could be. And let's not forget that he no longer has the powers he did when in the White House - something the article made a point of.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Republicans may or may not win back the House in 2022, but they will NOT win back the State of New York. Cy Vance and Letitia James cannot be shut down by a change in government.

So what's a Donald to do?
NPR wrote:Former President Donald Trump sued New York Attorney General Letitia James on Monday, seeking to end her civil investigation into his business practices.

In the lawsuit, filed two weeks weeks after James requested that Trump sit for a Jan. 7 deposition, Trump alleges the investigation has violated his constitutional rights in a "thinly-veiled effort to publicly malign Trump and his associates."

"Her mission is guided solely by political animus and a desire to harass, intimidate, and retaliate against a private citizen who she views as a political opponent," the former president's lawyers wrote in the suit.

Trump, a Republican, seeks a permanent injunction barring James, a Democrat, from investigating him and a declaratory judgment stating that she has violated his rights.
This suit has a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding, but that's not the point. In debate it's called "poisoning the well". You are simply saying that the other person has an agenda, and that agenda supersedes whatever facts that are uncovered.

It's a smoke bomb thrown by a man feeling cornered.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Merrick Garland gave some indication today that the Justice Department will be working its way to charging Donald Trump.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Phony Trump electors have been referred for federal prosecution:

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/wat ... 0841669808

What is with Republicans and their compulsion to commit election fraud?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace