Criminal Charges Against Trump?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Criminal Charges Against Trump?

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

K Graham wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:13 pm
When GOP leadership is nearly 100% white male, it is hilarious to hear another GOPers say we shouldn't judge by skin color, because obviously that is what they're doing.
Here’s a perhaps better link to their ‘redmap’ strategy:

http://www.redistrictingmajorityproject.com/

It’s a little dated, but it’s interesting to see their 2010-2013 vision for redistricting and how its come true after this 2020 census. The far reaching effects aren’t only felt in our legislative branches, but the obvious bleedover into the judiciary since, you know, we’ve seen how it plays out with the last two the Supreme Court picks the House rammed through.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:58 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:33 pm
Just another PROGRESSIVE judging people by the color of their skin.
Orange?
That was actually funny! Good job.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:17 am
Oh, by the way, i don't actually like Donald Trump. But I do think he was necessary.
Much like the volcano at Krakatoa was necessary to release pressure from the earth's molten core. The damage done by this volcano and Trump was regrettable. Both Trump and Krakatoa can be counted on to erupt again spewing mayhem in their wake.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The Trump conspirators are now pleading the 5th before Congress. Do High Treason and Sedition carry criminal penalties for those Trumpers abundantly guilty?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

K Graham wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:13 pm
When GOP leadership is nearly 100% white male, it is hilarious to hear another GOPers say we shouldn't judge by skin color, because obviously that is what they're doing.
Accusing others of what you are guilty of is a go-to Trumpist strategy.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Can people be held liable for "stoking" a riot? What about starting an insurrection?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7xtNBaj0-8
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:54 pm
Can people be held liable for "stoking" a riot? What about starting an insurrection?

I think there's a difference between stoking and inciting. I think we should be reluctant to criminalize speech, especially political speech.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:10 pm
Moksha wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:54 pm

I think there's a difference between stoking and inciting. I think we should be reluctant to criminalize speech, especially political speech.
What about responsibility for property damage when one leads their bull into a pottery shop?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:31 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:10 pm

What about responsibility for property damage when one leads their bull into a pottery shop?
I don't think bulls understand much speech, let alone political speech.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

The Court of Appeals ruled unanimously that Trump claims of Executive Privilege were outweighed by several factors, among them the compelling interests of Congress to investigate the events of January 6th.

(CNN)
A federal appeals court Thursday ruled against former President Donald Trump in his effort to block his White House records from being released to the House select committee investigating January 6.

However, the DC Circuit Court of Appeals paused its ruling for two weeks so that Trump could seek a Supreme Court intervention.
"The events of January 6th exposed the fragility of those democratic institutions and traditions that we had perhaps come to take for granted," said the DC Circuit opinion, which was written by Judge Patricia Millett, who was appointed by former President Barack Obama. "In response, the President of the United States and Congress have each made the judgment that access to this subset of presidential communication records is necessary to address a matter of great constitutional moment for the Republic. Former President Trump has given this court no legal reason to cast aside President Biden's assessment of the Executive Branch interests at stake, or to create a separation of powers conflict that the Political Branches have avoided."
My understanding is that Trump's lawyers have signaled they would go to the Supreme Court. I would think it unlikely that the Supreme Court would reverse the lower court.

My question of the day for Res Ipsa would be: If Trump loses before the Supreme Court, what happens to the Executive Privilege of all of Trump's associates (Mark Meadows), for example?
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land