Criminal Charges Against Trump?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Criminal Charges Against Trump?

Post by Moksha »

Do you think the DOJ will bring criminal charges against Trump, even with overwhelming evidence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLwlG0mFq_I
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Criminal Charges Against Trump?

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hard to say, my Penguin friend. I think New York would be more likely. A federal prosecution might not be worth the political blowback.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:41 am
A federal prosecution might not be worth the political blowback.
I suppose that prosecution for trying to become a tyrannical despot over the territory formerly known as the United States could have political blowback. It just seems to be something against my own sense of what is right and wrong and is worth the Department of Justice looking into it.

By the way, did you know that Trump still leads chants of "lock her up" at his rallies?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:33 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:41 am
A federal prosecution might not be worth the political blowback.
I suppose that prosecution for trying to become a tyrannical despot over the territory formerly known as the United States could have political blowback. It just seems to be something against my own sense of what is right and wrong and is worth the Department of Justice looking into it.

By the way, did you know that Trump still leads chants of "lock her up" at his rallies?
I suppose any her will do.
he/him

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:20 am
Do you think the DOJ will bring criminal charges against Trump, even with overwhelming evidence?
No. The US is not into prosecuting criminals if they suspect they are rich.

Trump should have been in prison years ago.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I think August 13th is the predicted day when all the communists will be arrested and Trump will be crowned the God-King Emperor.

Have any of you been following the ongoing revelations of crap Trump tried to pull with the DOJ? It is so shocking. Water off a ducks back for his supporters.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:43 am
I think August 13th is the predicted day when all the communists will be arrested and Trump will be crowned the God-King Emperor.

Have any of you been following the ongoing revelations of crap Trump tried to pull with the DOJ? It is so shocking. Water off a ducks back for his supporters.
Yes. I haven't seen an analysis of which federal statutes the President may have violated. Not enough hours in the day.

It's both shocking and not that surprising. Starting with W, the game plan has been to turn the DOJ into partisan body that acts to keep Republican presidents in power.
he/him

drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

The idea of Trump being convicted of anything criminal seems about as likely as Trump overturning the 2020 election and being crowned King.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

As dangerous as Trump's grab for power was, perception that criminal charges against the President were part of a deep state act of political retribution would be devastating as well.

Don't expect indictments tomorrow or next week. I would imagine that this case will be double and triple checked at every step along the way. Nevertheless I'm somewhat surprised at the consensus that he will never be charged. Honestly my prognostication abilities in this area have been less than stellar, but I think the case for criminal conspiracy between Trump and Jeffrey Clark seems pretty self-evident. Remember, conspiracy is merely the act of conspiring, the act does not need to be completed. So Clark's letter(s) and Trump's phone calls would be prima facie evidence of a conspiracy.

My understanding is that some of Jeff Rosen's 7 hours of testimony could be released this week. That could make for some interesting reading.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:43 am
As dangerous as Trump's grab for power was, perception that criminal charges against the President were part of a deep state act of political retribution would be devastating as well.

Don't expect indictments tomorrow or next week. I would imagine that this case will be double and triple checked at every step along the way. Nevertheless I'm somewhat surprised at the consensus that he will never be charged. Honestly my prognostication abilities in this area have been less than stellar, but I think the case for criminal conspiracy between Trump and Jeffrey Clark seems pretty self-evident. Remember, conspiracy is merely the act of conspiring, the act does not need to be completed. So Clark's letter(s) and Trump's phone calls would be prima facie evidence of a conspiracy.

My understanding is that some of Jeff Rosen's 7 hours of testimony could be released this week. That could make for some interesting reading.
Drafts of prosecution that doesn't include meaningful Republican leadership support is a dead letter. The far right isn't interested as we are apparently in a civil war already where one side represents literal evil so an action that appears to help Democrats isn't going anywhere no matter how strong the evidence may be. On the other side the volume is rising on the far left saying the only options on the table are to go hard and as far as possible, and trust the numbers are with them. Because again, the other side is evil as represented in Trump and the insurrection on January 6.

So where does one fit the rule of law in this game where it seems both sides view the other as only caring about rules when they apply to their political opponents? There has to be some serious work done to make a prosecution of Trump not be (correctly in my opinion) perceived as politically motivated.

Anyway, the billionaires are building Elysium and government has a blank check regardless of who is in office so face the blast drink in hand. It's going to be a bright, sun-shiny day.