Criminal Charges Against Trump?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Criminal Charges Against Trump?

Post by Res Ipsa »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:58 am
There is a report that Jeffrey Clark will exercise his 5th Amendment Rights when he appears before the January 6th Committee.

If Clark does plead the 5th for activities that occurred while he was at Justice, the Justice Department would seem likely to open an investigation into his activities while employed there.

I imagine Clark could be granted immunity in exchange for his testimony, but I'm not sure of the conditions. Would he be offered something akin to a proffer? It would seem unlikely that the committee will give him immunity for an unknown.

The next few months could see some interesting developments with the January 6th Committee.
I think a proffer would be something he would be offering, not that would be offered to him. It would be a description of how he would testify, if granted immunity.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:58 am
I think a proffer would be something he would be offering, not that would be offered to him. It would be a description of how he would testify, if granted immunity.
Yeah, my bad. Clark would tell investigators what he would offer as testimony. But as soon as he hits the 5th Amendment Bell, he will in all probability be the subject of a DOJ investigation.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Noting the seeming reluctance and unlikelihood to prosecute the plan to subvert America, Salon Magazine asked an interesting question: If America really surrenders to fascism, then what?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... r-AARnNse?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:16 pm
Noting the seeming reluctance and unlikelihood to prosecute the plan to subvert America, Salon Magazine asked an interesting question: If America really surrenders to fascism, then what?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... r-AARnNse?
They didn’t really lay out a prediction model, though the author did note SC wanting to get rid of tenure at public universities and trans people would feel endangered. What part of the article laid out a post-surrender-to-fascism America that I’m missing?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Analytics
Elder

Post by Analytics »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:17 am
I love finding common ground so let me tell you where I stand politically. I consider myself conservative with some liberal leanings. I think right now we are being governed by the far left and also the far right and it pisses me off. Both sides are screaming so loud the normal people in the middle are being drowned out. I'm a very positive person but I don't see any one on the political stage, right or left, that could even come close to helping us come together.

As far as what you asked above. I don't know if getting into details will accomplish anything. Honestly, I can't stand political stuff. I don't watch cable news anymore and I stopped listening to AM talk shows a while ago. Life's short and that crap is depressing. The only reason I started political threads here in spirit paradise was to piss off doc cam and schmo😂😂😂. I didn't care about those threads, that's why I posted videos in them. If you want to talk politics that's fine but I'm more interested in Mormonism and personal issues. Feel free to ask anything though, I'm an open book.

Oh, by the way, i don't actually like Donald Trump. But I do think he was necessary. He was able to expose a lot of the corruption on both sides. I think he and Cuomo would make great cell mates.
For the record, we have some common ground here. I don't particularly like Democrats, and I find AM talk radio and TV news to kill brain cells.

However, there is a difference between the right and left, far or otherwise. The Left is willing to hold its leaders accountable when they break the law, while the right makes excuses—to preposterous lengths in the case of Donald Trump.

Donald Trump commits high crimes and misdemeanors and was impeached. With the exception of actual statesmen such as Mitt Romney, Republicans gave him a pass. Rather than doing their duty to remove him from office and let Mike Pence assume the presidency, they said reelection is coming up—let the voters decide! When the voters decide to throw the bum out, they literally tried to subvert democracy with a violent coup. And most Republicans still won't hold the traitor accountable.

How can we make a good-faith effort to "come together" and run the country according to America's democratic ideals if 50% of the country supports an incompetent traitor who wants to overthrow our constitutional republic?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Analytics wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:10 pm
How can we make a good-faith effort to "come together" and run the country according to America's democratic ideals if 50% of the country supports an incompetent traitor who wants to overthrow our constitutional republic?

It’s truly top down from the RNC with regard to their strategy. The above is the 2020 Roll Call of States. Left: #DemConvention (AK, AZ, CO & HI). Right: #RNC2020 (AK, AZ, CO & HI). It’s clear who each party considers its representing, and that ideology was recently reflected here in UT’s when its controlling party redrew legislative districts that will give them a stranglehold hold on all four Congressional seats and three or more state legislature seats. This strategy is being implemented across the country as outlined in this wiki article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/REDMAP

We’re now in a zero sum game with the RNC, and it’s a matter of time before demographic shift will pass the political rubicon on behalf of the Left, or the Repubs exert a minority rule on the population before crap goes sideways. Either way, this strategy might give way to third parties, but I don’t see how most politicians can afford to fight the machine.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:26 pm
Analytics wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:10 pm

It’s truly top down from the RNC with regard to their strategy. The above is the 2020 Roll Call of States. Left: #DemConvention (AK, AZ, CO & HI). Right: #RNC2020 (AK, AZ, CO & HI). It’s clear who each party considers its representing, and that ideology was recently reflected here in UT’s when its controlling party redrew legislative districts that will give them a stranglehold hold on all four Congressional seats and three or more state legislature seats. This strategy is being implemented across the country as outlined in this wiki article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/REDMAP

We’re now in a zero sum game with the RNC, and it’s a matter of time before demographic shift will pass the political rubicon on behalf of the Left, or the Repubs exert a minority rule on the population before crap goes sideways. Either way, this strategy might give way to third parties, but I don’t see how most politicians can afford to fight the machine.

- Doc
Delusional I tell ya, 100% delusional!! Just another PROGRESSIVE judging people by the color of their skin. Some things never change!

ARMY STRONG✊
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Missing the clear and obvious truth by a country mile.

- Doc

canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:33 pm
Just another PROGRESSIVE judging people by the color of their skin.
Orange?
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

When GOP leadership is nearly 100% white male, it is hilarious to hear another GOPers say we shouldn't judge by skin color, because obviously that is what they're doing.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18